RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Winter tires for RCF Vancouver

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-20, 03:04 AM
williamRCF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter tires for RCF Vancouver

Considering winter tires for my RCF in Vancouver. Any suggestions?
Old 11-16-20, 05:37 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 150 Likes on 92 Posts

I’m in Toronto and use Michelin Alpin4. I run a square setup 245/35-19.

They aren’t bad but I wasn’t blown away either. I don’t exactly drive the car when there is snow as I have a beater for those days. So I’d save some money and get something cheaper.
Old 11-16-20, 06:13 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,771 Posts

You would probably want to look into Blizzak LM-32 tires. They would be great in the snow, but steering response/suspension will feel spongy in the dry/warmer weather because of the compound used to keep them soft in below 0C temperatures..

I put mine in the garage for storage. With salt, rock chips, snow etc., it is not fun to drive in the winter, which is why I have dedicated utilitarian cars for that purpose. Have the Lexus RX450h and the Corolla XRS to do the heavy lifting. With me working from home due to COVID, only the RX450h is getting used 100% of the time.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-16-20 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-18-20, 07:11 PM
2017RCFGuy
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I run Michelin X Ice XI3 245/40/19. 19" x 8.5" rims with more offset on the rear rims. They sit identically to the oem rims with the extra space on the inside of the wheel well. The car is extremely stable on slippery roads, goes through 5" snow without any problems. Have a oil pan heater on it and never problems starting. I've never had a car start so easily in winter and me being almost 60 have lots of starts in Alberta, Canada. -36 C at work one day last winter and she spun over easily at days end. My wife said if I get the RC F its not sitting in the garage. I enjoy my car every day of the year and it's awesome!
The following 2 users liked this post by 2017RCFGuy:
MCB1970 (11-19-20), Teutonic (01-15-21)
Old 11-19-20, 08:22 AM
MCB1970
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I run Michelin X Ice XI3 as well in Northeast Ohio. Great winter tires! This is my third winter season with them.
Old 01-14-21, 08:43 PM
Freeway243
Driver School Candidate

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I got a pair of Nokian's no problem in 11" of snow... Well let's just say much improved over AS3s
Old 01-15-21, 11:48 AM
Teutonic
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by 2017RCFGuy
I run Michelin X Ice XI3 245/40/19. 19" x 8.5" rims with more offset on the rear rims. They sit identically to the oem rims with the extra space on the inside of the wheel well. The car is extremely stable on slippery roads, goes through 5" snow without any problems. Have a oil pan heater on it and never problems starting. I've never had a car start so easily in winter and me being almost 60 have lots of starts in Alberta, Canada. -36 C at work one day last winter and she spun over easily at days end. My wife said if I get the RC F its not sitting in the garage. I enjoy my car every day of the year and it's awesome!
Which pan warmer do you have? How many hours do your run it before starting?
Old 01-15-21, 06:58 PM
2017RCFGuy
10th Gear

Hi, My garage is heated so I only use it at work if it's like minus 7 or colder. I plug in as soon as get to work for the whole day. If you take the piece off of the front grill where the tow hook goes you can make like a 1 foot cord and run it through the hole to plug in. Ty rap it on the back and it won't pull out. In summer just put the cap over it and it's hidden. I'm an electrician so can help you more on how to do it if you need. So what you asked for, Titan oil pan heater TH250-1 so 250 watt and 120 volt. I got it from Industrial Diesel Products Inc. in Mississauga, Ontario.
Old 01-17-21, 06:29 AM
Teutonic
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

Hi, My garage is heated so I only use it at work if it's like minus 7 or colder. I plug in as soon as get to work for the whole day. If you take the piece off of the front grill where the tow hook goes you can make like a 1 foot cord and run it through the hole to plug in. Ty rap it on the back and it won't pull out. In summer just put the cap over it and it's hidden. I'm an electrician so can help you more on how to do it if you need. So what you asked for, Titan oil pan heater TH250-1 so 250 watt and 120 volt. I got it from Industrial Diesel Products Inc. in Mississauga, Ontario.
Thanks for the info! I don't live in a terribly cold climate, but the car still takes a significant amount of time to warm up in the winter. I always thought of having one of these to just make the warm up time quicker. So, now I'm curious, when you have this warming all day at work, where does that put your oil and coolant when you start it up (on the factory gauge)? This site showing your cooler time v temp, makes me think it would be pretty warm to start!--Better than someone who is starting without a warmer even in an 80F climate.

https://padheaters.com/product/th250-1/

Last edited by Teutonic; 01-17-21 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-17-21, 12:08 PM
2017RCFGuy
10th Gear

Hi, The gauges are still right at the bottom, only for a really short time. Most noticeably is oil and coolant temperature come up fast, the oil more so at first. It seems like it takes 5 or 6 minutes less time for everything to warm up.
The following users liked this post:
Teutonic (01-17-21)
Old 01-18-23, 02:28 AM
Claytong13
2nd gear

Default @2017rcfguy

Hey man I’m from Edmonton Alberta I’m thinking about purchasing a 2019 10th anniversary edition RCF and daily driving it here but I’m nervous about the RWD for bad winter days do you know if they make any studded winter tires for the RCF? This is the only place I’ve been able to find any info on winter driving one and do you think it’s doable? Maybe just avoid driving on heavy heavy snow days until it’s plowed I guess?
Old 01-18-23, 05:40 AM
2017RCFGuy
10th Gear

Hi,

I drove mine for 4 years in the winter. I used Michelin X Ice tires. The car is amazingly stable and probably one of the best winter cars I have ever had. In winter I ran it in eco mode and had snow mode also. Not sure if you have that. Have Weathertech winter matts for it if you are interested. Actually traded mine for a new Audi A5. $3k difference. Lexus is an amazing vehicle but for fun take an Audi out if you have a chance. In Edmonton one of our top Lexus managers actually now works at Audi after being at Lexus for almost 13 years. Hmmm. Any more questions please ask.

Darrell
Old 01-18-23, 06:34 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,771 Posts

Hi,

I drove mine for 4 years in the winter. I used Michelin X Ice tires. The car is amazingly stable and probably one of the best winter cars I have ever had. In winter I ran it in eco mode and had snow mode also. Not sure if you have that. Have Weathertech winter matts for it if you are interested. Actually traded mine for a new Audi A5. $3k difference. Lexus is an amazing vehicle but for fun take an Audi out if you have a chance. In Edmonton one of our top Lexus managers actually now works at Audi after being at Lexus for almost 13 years. Hmmm. Any more questions please ask.

Darrell
Both have their own place. I have driven an S4 and a few others. In the winter on snow, you are right the Audi will be far more sure footed. That is why I don't drive mine in the winter and have the 2019 IS350 F-Sport AWD as well as an RX450h to cover for both the fun and commuting. I simply would not enjoy driving the RCF in the winter. However, in the dry/summer, it is definitely all RCF as far as fun goes.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 01-18-23 at 06:40 AM.
Old 01-18-23, 08:44 AM
Claytong13
2nd gear

Default 2017RCFGuy

Where in Canada did you mainly winter drive r)3 RCF? And is anyone aware if they make a studded winter tire that fits the offset rims well? And yea I’ve had AWD RC350 and IS350 and also had an RS3 the Quattro AWD is nice forsure and definitely ideal for winter but I just want that 5.0 V8 I was just unsure if it could handle the harsh winter roads in Alberta
Old 01-19-23, 11:37 AM
Jackal44
Driver

Received 70 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Claytong13
Hey man I’m from Edmonton Alberta I’m thinking about purchasing a 2019 10th anniversary edition RCF and daily driving it here but I’m nervous about the RWD for bad winter days do you know if they make any studded winter tires for the RCF? This is the only place I’ve been able to find any info on winter driving one and do you think it’s doable? Maybe just avoid driving on heavy heavy snow days until it’s plowed I guess?
I'm "That Guy", and have driven my M BMW's, S Caymans, and F Lexus in the winter, and my go to for the best tire out there is the Hakka R8. They can be studded, and come in a large variety of sizes. I find a sports car in the winter one of the best ways to enjoy and get to know your car. I strongly recommend adding mudflaps (I used rally armor generic fitting ones), and getting at very least the front and lower car wrapped to protect the investment.
The following users liked this post:
05RollaXRS (01-19-23)

Quick Reply: Winter tires for RCF Vancouver