RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Unique problem: RCF with dead battery and mechanical key not opening the door

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-20, 04:31 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,774 Posts

Some positive news. I got the door to unlock. I tried a few things. First, I tested my method on my '14 Lexus RX450h which has a very smiliar mechanical key mechanism as my RCF. It worked without any problems as mechanical key opened the door in a second, unfolded the mirrors automatically and rolled the windows down a couple of inches. Next I took my RCF key fob and pushed the unlock button near the driver's door and near the windshield to see if something happens. Nothing audible happened. Then, I took the mechanical key and then turned it counter-clockwise and clock-wise a few times like I had been doing yesterday, but somehow this time the door unlocked and it opened. Anyway, I was relieved as it meant there was no mechanical part damaged.

I then took the car out and idled it for about 25 minutes then took it around within my community to get some charge into the battery.. I got the temperature up to mid-point by the time I shut it down. The fob was able to lock the doors when I was leaving the car. I will do a bit more tonight on it (as now the battery has some charge, I will be able to unlock with the FOB tonight) and try to get some more charge in it.

I will keep this thread posted if I experience the same issues. Thanks for your input guys.

Picture of it when I pulled it out. You can see a thick layer of dust on it.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-28-20 at 08:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Yri (11-28-20)
Old 11-28-20, 04:35 PM
Yri
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

A good idea is to try opening the door with the mechanical key now that the car is running and the battery isn't dead, just to make sure the mechanical bit isn't broken. Maybe the mechanical key mechanism actually has to use electricity to do something?
05RollaXRS (11-28-20)
Old 11-28-20, 05:07 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Yri
A good idea is to try opening the door with the mechanical key now that the car is running and the battery isn't dead, just to make sure the mechanical bit isn't broken. Maybe the mechanical key mechanism actually has to use electricity to do something?
Yeah, I would do that. Like was the case on my RX, I had to put the FOB (with the mechanical key removed) on the hood of my RCF (30+ feet away). Otherwise, if the car detects your FOB near it, as soon as you touch the door, it will unlock automatically. The mechanical key on both of my Lexus' requires pulling the handle to access the key slot. Anyway, I will try it tonight when I go to fire it up again. Cheers!
Yri (11-28-20)
Old 11-28-20, 05:23 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,896 Likes on 1,337 Posts

^^^^You may want to spray some graphite into the lock.

Amazon Amazon

Lou
The following 2 users liked this post by flowrider:
05RollaXRS (11-28-20), Yri (11-28-20)
Old 11-28-20, 05:44 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^You may want to spray some graphite into the lock.

https://www.amazon.com/American-grea...s%2C205&sr=8-6

Lou
Thanks. Will keep it in mind, if I run into any issues.
Old 11-28-20, 06:53 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,896 Likes on 1,337 Posts

^^^^Nah - You want to use it anyway to keep it lubricated. It's not a fixit solution, it's a preventative measure to keep the mechanism lubricated. When I lived in Northern New England and Northern Virginia, I used it regularly to keep my locks operating in the winter.

Lou
Old 11-28-20, 07:22 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^Nah - You want to use it anyway to keep it lubricated. It's not a fixit solution, it's a preventative measure to keep the mechanism lubricated. When I lived in Northern New England and Northern Virginia, I used it regularly to keep my locks operating in the winter.

Lou
The space is very tight when you lift the handle. How do you get the bottle with the long "spout" to point straight towards the key slot?
Old 12-01-20, 04:09 PM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 169 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
The space is very tight when you lift the handle. How do you get the bottle with the long "spout" to point straight towards the key slot?

Use a match or lighter to heat up the "long spout" and bend it any which way you like, making it super easy to get into tight spots. Put a trickle charger on that car. Lots of wonky things can happen when the battery drains, I think you may be playing with fire unnecessarily.
Old 12-01-20, 06:46 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by winterturb
Use a match or lighter to heat up the "long spout" and bend it any which way you like, making it super easy to get into tight spots. Put a trickle charger on that car. Lots of wonky things can happen when the battery drains, I think you may be playing with fire unnecessarily.
Thanks. Trickle charger is the most obvious thing. I would have purchased trickle charger as soon as I got the RCF, but my underground parking garage does not have power outlets available. I tried to find rechargeable trickle chargers, but none exist. In the meanwhile, I use the portable Nicco jump starter to start the car in case I don't get a chance to start it up. The battery is now 5 years old so it lasted as long as I expected it to last.

Old 12-06-20, 02:05 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts

Well if you're looking to keep the RC F for a very long time, invest in one of these batteries...

I plan to go this route when ever my Red Top Optima decides to call it quites..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...y-today-2.html

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 12-06-20 at 02:13 PM.
05RollaXRS (12-06-20)
Old 12-06-20, 02:31 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

That's the plan. Thanks for the video. I will check it out.

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Well if you're looking to keep the RC F for a very long time, invest in one of these batteries...

https://youtu.be/R_rw_qstFdE

I plan to go this route when ever my Red Top Optima decides to call it quites..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...y-today-2.html

Joe Z
Old 03-08-23, 10:04 AM
LexesRcF
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RcF dead batter

Mine just did this and was wondering how you got it open?
Old 03-08-23, 11:21 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexesRcF
Mine just did this and was wondering how you got it open?
Use the mechanical key in your fob to open the door.
Old 03-08-23, 01:52 PM
sensai
Advanced

Received 651 Likes on 225 Posts

yeah, i'd pull the panel and inspect things. the manual key should always work without question imo.
Old 03-08-23, 05:42 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 545 Likes on 361 Posts

OMG Rolla....I saw this thread and thought to myself "it happened to him again???". Glad to know it's a thread back from the dead. LOL

Quick Reply: Unique problem: RCF with dead battery and mechanical key not opening the door