RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Still searching, help the ignorant with aftermarket wisdom

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-20, 07:26 AM
CodyJames
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by DenSmith
Oh, no problem, I bet Porsche are in high demand, that's a little above my sports car budget so to speak, the Porsche is a special beast by itself as far as holding resale value and desire-ability. I hope you do get what you want for your car. I also know nothing about Bentleys, so I will trust your information for sure. My personal knowledge of this market right now just to clarify is limited to RCF, Mercedes SL 2014 and newer, Mercedes C45 and C63 AMG, and Corvettes. Yes, kind of a lesser class of the porsche and bentley. These cars are definitely sitting and not moving, especially private party. The ones that are moving are Carvana and Carmax ones that are priced 10-15% lower than private party ones. So, there is some truth that the market for these cars has stagnated the past month and half or so.
In my experience, resale values for Mercedes sports cars and Corvettes have always been horrendous. I suspect that the value of most vehicles in the $40 to sub-$100k range have suffered during the pandemic - these days, that's middle-class, and that segment is getting hammered. The RC-F's resale value hasn't been as bad, but it's a very unique vehicle and not for everyone (not to mention it's rather unfortunately been bashed to death by various, biased factions). Those that know these cars well know that they do just about everything right. This is actually my second RC-F and I'm very much on the fence about selling it, even to move up to the Porsche. It's just that good. Best of luck in your search!
The following 2 users liked this post by CodyJames:
05RollaXRS (12-02-20), DenSmith (12-02-20)
Old 12-02-20, 01:26 PM
djeayzonne
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyJames
In my experience, resale values for Mercedes sports cars and Corvettes have always been horrendous. I suspect that the value of most vehicles in the $40 to sub-$100k range have suffered during the pandemic - these days, that's middle-class, and that segment is getting hammered. The RC-F's resale value hasn't been as bad, but it's a very unique vehicle and not for everyone (not to mention it's rather unfortunately been bashed to death by various, biased factions). Those that know these cars well know that they do just about everything right. This is actually my second RC-F and I'm very much on the fence about selling it, even to move up to the Porsche. It's just that good. Best of luck in your search!
After test driving some 991.2s a year ago, I was so close to trading in my RCF. That car is superior to the RCF in everyway except for being overpriced and having a boring exterior.

But, as you say, the RCF is just that good. I decided to keep it until I can very comfortably move up to a 570 or maybe a 720. Nothing in the 60-150k range as new, other than maybe the NSX, feels like it would be worth it in comparison.

At that point, probably will keep the RCF, which would then replace my 2010 Escape LTD as the beater, lol!
The following 2 users liked this post by djeayzonne:
05RollaXRS (12-02-20), DenSmith (12-03-20)
Old 12-04-20, 05:31 AM
CodyJames
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by djeayzonne
After test driving some 991.2s a year ago, I was so close to trading in my RCF. That car is superior to the RCF in everyway except for being overpriced and having a boring exterior.

But, as you say, the RCF is just that good. I decided to keep it until I can very comfortably move up to a 570 or maybe a 720. Nothing in the 60-150k range as new, other than maybe the NSX, feels like it would be worth it in comparison.

At that point, probably will keep the RCF, which would then replace my 2010 Escape LTD as the beater, lol!
We have very similar tastes. I was really hoping that Lexus would come out with the LC-F sometime soon. No such luck, so I'm thinking of moving on. I may be in a position to move into supercar territory in the next year, and when I do, I'm definitely giving McLaren a hard look. That said, I'm likely to go with the Huracan, although probably not as a daily
Old 12-04-20, 07:27 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 782 Likes on 485 Posts
Arrow

You aren't kidding on Mercedes values tanking. I was looking at a 2014 e63s. Car brand new was just shy of $130k. Had basically every option minus the carbon fiber package, but had the design interior / exterior matte paint carbon ceramic brakes...etc. Was on the forums selling for $37k. I almost got it. In fact I think not getting that made me get the RCF. I still would LOVE to own an e63. They have a special place in my heart. But I can't imagine upkeeping it. Brakes were due at 100k miles and when I started pricing out the rotors they were $3400 a piece. So spending over $12k JUST for rotors would have been an extremely hard pill to swallow on a new/used to me car. And that's if no other issues pop up, which ... it's an AMG.. stuff is expensive.

After getting the RCF, I told my wife our next car is a Porsche. I love Porsches. Probably a Panamera. When we test drove a Panamera GTS sometime ago it was aweesome. The fit and finish of everything, pdk..etc. It was just superb. I understand though just like most german cars you gotta pay to play.
One of the biggest reasons getting the RCF was was in all reality, Toyota reliability. That's important to me. I don't want something where I am always fixing it or it has to go to a shop.

-Nigel
The following 2 users liked this post by nigel821:
bob67 (12-07-20), DenSmith (12-05-20)
Old 12-04-20, 01:07 PM
djeayzonne
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

We have very similar tastes. I was really hoping that Lexus would come out with the LC-F sometime soon. No such luck, so I'm thinking of moving on. I may be in a position to move into supercar territory in the next year, and when I do, I'm definitely giving McLaren a hard look. That said, I'm likely to go with the Huracan, although probably not as a daily
Yep, the LC-F was my chosen upgrade path as well.
Really bummed about it, which is why I'm just keeping the RCF until I'm fat FIRE, lol.
The following 2 users liked this post by djeayzonne:
DenSmith (12-05-20), vraa (12-04-20)