RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Still searching, help the ignorant with aftermarket wisdom

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-20, 08:57 PM
DenSmith
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Still searching, help the ignorant with aftermarket wisdom

Good news, I suppose, I haven't bought my RCF, yet, but as I just missed out on one last month, the prices are starting to drop as each new one comes to market, especially the Carvana and Carmax ones since they are much less sensitive to overpaying at wholesale or auction for one of these and are all about bidness, move the cars, move em now.
So, I'm looking at this one in case you need more info, or you want to buy it, who knows....
https://www.texascarone.com/vehicle-...tx-id-38741607

What I need to know from you guys is, what is the guestimation and intelligence or "goodness" of the following mods this thing has...
1. Borla Exhaust
2. Adjustable Coil Overs
3. Takeda Intake
4. JL subwoofers (a little overkill for a Mark Levinson, but I was young once and used to do stuff like that to perfectly good factory stereos).

I also like the variety of opinions I get here. Now, my father used to do these things to his corvettes and mustangs, but he babied them, and I'm guessing whoever did this chose top of the line mods? Maybe not, so need your opinion. So, sure, it was probably driven fast, but also cared for, who knows, does that opinion match what you guys would think?

Their price needs to come down, but the mods I think are what most people tend to do to these cars except for the coilovers which I would adjust to normal height.
Old 11-28-20, 09:06 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,802 Posts

The RCF you posted the ad for, has carbon fiber aftermarket wheel as well in case you did not notice.

Cannot speak to other mods, but I have the wet version of the Takeda stage 2 cold air intake. I am happy with it. For the price, it does what I expect it to do. Adds a bit more snarl/growl and makes it more snappy in the midrange and more louder top rpm power. I really did it for the additional intake sound volume and it does a decent job at it.

Did not notice any negative effects. Just have to clean the filter once a year or two depending on how much it is driven. Since I installed it myself, I can easily take out the filter from the airbox and clean it.

I took off the big tacky sticker to make it look clean

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-28-20 at 09:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DenSmith (11-29-20)
Old 11-28-20, 09:23 PM
DenSmith
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
The RCF you posted the ad for, has carbon fiber aftermarket wheel as well in case you did not notice.

Cannot speak to other mods, but I have the wet version of the Takeda stage 2 cold air intake. I am happy with it. For the price, it does what I expect it to do. Adds a bit more snarl/growl and makes it more snappy in the midrange and more louder top rpm power. I really did it for the additional intake sound volume and it does a decent job at it.

Did not notice any negative effects. Just have to clean the filter once a year or two depending on how much it is driven. Since I installed it myself, I can easily take out the filter from the airbox and clean it.

I took off the big tacky sticker to make it look clean
Oh yes, forgot about the wheel, yes, I knew about that, not sure why, but I guess that is a thing too, I've seen two for sale that had that wheel and also Borla. Anyway, also forgot to mention, it's quite loud with the Borla, but I like it, certainly takes away some of the stealthyness I suppose.
Old 11-28-20, 11:40 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Here is a Borla video. When I was researching exhausts, subjectively I preferred the "exotic/melodic" noise of my Invidia over the "muscle car" brute sound of the Borla, but Borla has a very loyal following on this page.

The following 2 users liked this post by 05RollaXRS:
DenSmith (11-29-20), Meraki Autoworks (11-30-20)
Old 11-29-20, 07:03 AM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I would try to get them down to 38K. That's a really nice example though with no accidents on the car fax. Looks like a winner!
Old 11-29-20, 08:08 AM
DenSmith
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by CinFulxgs
I would try to get them down to 38K. That's a really nice example though with no accidents on the car fax. Looks like a winner!
That's good advice, it will take time for that to go down, but the frenzied buying of these cars has stopped in the past 2 weeks. Sewell Lexus of Dallas, probably the most famous Lexus dealer in the nation since Mr. Sewell wrote the bestselling book on customer service and made a "Sewell" car almost equal in brand name to Lexus has a certified one they have been trying to sell for over 60 days. They want to get rid of that one before December 1st, so I will see what they are willing to do, it's a 2018 for around 55,000 https://www.sewelllexus-dallas.com/u...HP5BC2J5006811 but I think it's hard to sell a 2018 when there are good 2015-16 out there for less (and that price is high) . Anyway, I'm seeing these sit on dealer lots now for longer periods of time. This particular one, the red one, I think would need another 30 days or so for them to come down from 41,000. But hey, I let my current LS430 sit at Park Place Lexus in Dallas for 70 days before they came down to my price, they finally did, sometimes it is a waiting game.
Old 11-29-20, 08:09 AM
airlaird
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I think the asking is high for the miles on it. I think asking $39,000 is the sweet spot. It looks great but a little high with 52,000 miles on it.
airlaird
DenSmith (11-29-20)
Old 11-29-20, 08:18 AM
Lend0
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

The 4 previous owners would be a non-starter for me.
Old 11-29-20, 09:17 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CinFulxgs
I doubt dealer will go down below $40K. That is already $2000 less than asking. Only negatives are that it has mods (positive for some) and that it has higher mileage. It looks very clean and well kept otherwise.
DenSmith (11-29-20)
Old 11-29-20, 09:48 AM
DenSmith
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Lend0
The 4 previous owners would be a non-starter for me.
I hear ya, sometimes and I think on this one, title changes cause the 4 owner glitch, especially with auctions, probably had 3 owners, still high. The interesting thing is, the inside is really nice, I've seen so many used RCF with the door side rib cage bolster on the seat destroyed to a mushy pulp and with wear down to the cushion, this one is like new.
Old 11-29-20, 06:26 PM
Kramer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts

My 2015 just rolled over 50K, I’m owner #2 and have had it for 4 years, I purchased it with 9K on the ODO....I am I little more conscientious when it comes to getting in and out mine, I have literally no wear on my seat....as far as the mods go, car looks clean, I wouldn’t be concerned. Good luck on your search. Cars are fantastic! I had an ISF before my RCF....
DenSmith (11-30-20)
Old 12-01-20, 06:04 AM
CodyJames
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm considering selling mine - 2015, performance package, Ultra/red, 32k miles, babied with no accidents or track time, PPE headers, Joe-Z exhaust, Borla hi-flow cats, RR Racing chip, carbon steering wheel, and various other goodies, including brand new Michelins. For reference, I'd ask $45k, and would make the buyer a fantastic deal on the brand new custom 20" Forgeline wheels I have sitting in boxes in my garage.
Old 12-01-20, 08:04 AM
DenSmith
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by CodyJames
I'm considering selling mine - 2015, performance package, Ultra/red, 32k miles, babied with no accidents or track time, PPE headers, Joe-Z exhaust, Borla hi-flow cats, RR Racing chip, carbon steering wheel, and various other goodies, including brand new Michelins. For reference, I'd ask $45k, and would make the buyer a fantastic deal on the brand new custom 20" Forgeline wheels I have sitting in boxes in my garage.
I appreciate your offer, you better put that thing for sale quick because sports cars in general and these types of cars are just sitting. The only one that sold in less than a month was a 2015 Red with every option TVD etc. at a Lexus dealer in FL that was certified pre-owned 22,000 miles one owner for $41,900. Carvana is dropping them $1,000 every 10 days now and they still aren't selling. If that is the real price you want no harm in trying, but you are probably better off keeping it 9 months until the economy kind of recovers. Wholesale prices on cars started dropping 1.5 months ago and the tail on that dog is about to whip around and hit the retail market this month. But in particular the RCFs are sitting at lots all over the US unless you get lucky like that one in FL I just mentioned where it was a trade in so the dealer already made money on the car swap and it was a long time customer.
Old 12-02-20, 06:06 AM
CodyJames
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by DenSmith
I appreciate your offer, you better put that thing for sale quick because sports cars in general and these types of cars are just sitting. The only one that sold in less than a month was a 2015 Red with every option TVD etc. at a Lexus dealer in FL that was certified pre-owned 22,000 miles one owner for $41,900. Carvana is dropping them $1,000 every 10 days now and they still aren't selling. If that is the real price you want no harm in trying, but you are probably better off keeping it 9 months until the economy kind of recovers. Wholesale prices on cars started dropping 1.5 months ago and the tail on that dog is about to whip around and hit the retail market this month. But in particular the RCFs are sitting at lots all over the US unless you get lucky like that one in FL I just mentioned where it was a trade in so the dealer already made money on the car swap and it was a long time customer.
Thanks, but I'm not selling yet. And while the one you note in FL has 10k less miles than mine at $42k, mine also has $10k in desirable upgrades. I'm confident mine will sell at or near asking price. I respectfully and completely disagree with you that sports cars are "just sitting." I'm in the market for a new or very slightly used Porsche 992 and inventory is flying out the door. Heck, I was about to buy a used Bentley Continental as a daily over the holiday weekend and when I went to look at it an hour after I called, it was already sold. This economy has been very good for certain sectors, including mine (corporate insolvency and restructuring). If you're holding out, wait until Q1 2021 - that's when things are going to get dicey.
Old 12-02-20, 06:58 AM
DenSmith
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by CodyJames
Thanks, but I'm not selling yet. And while the one you note in FL has 10k less miles than mine at $42k, mine also has $10k in desirable upgrades. I'm confident mine will sell at or near asking price. I respectfully and completely disagree with you that sports cars are "just sitting." I'm in the market for a new or very slightly used Porsche 992 and inventory is flying out the door. Heck, I was about to buy a used Bentley Continental as a daily over the holiday weekend and when I went to look at it an hour after I called, it was already sold. This economy has been very good for certain sectors, including mine (corporate insolvency and restructuring). If you're holding out, wait until Q1 2021 - that's when things are going to get dicey.
Oh, no problem, I bet Porsche are in high demand, that's a little above my sports car budget so to speak, the Porsche is a special beast by itself as far as holding resale value and desire-ability. I hope you do get what you want for your car. I also know nothing about Bentleys, so I will trust your information for sure. My personal knowledge of this market right now just to clarify is limited to RCF, Mercedes SL 2014 and newer, Mercedes C45 and C63 AMG, and Corvettes. Yes, kind of a lesser class of the porsche and bentley. These cars are definitely sitting and not moving, especially private party. The ones that are moving are Carvana and Carmax ones that are priced 10-15% lower than private party ones. So, there is some truth that the market for these cars has stagnated the past month and half or so.

Quick Reply: Still searching, help the ignorant with aftermarket wisdom