RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Strangie Issue with Oil Temperature

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-20, 11:52 AM
Lend0
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Strange Issue with Oil Temperature

So I’ve had my RCF for 8 months and with no issues until today. I’ve driven it in 110 degree heat and the oil temp never moved up from center whereas today it’s moving down once fully warm.

I’m driving today for about 25 minutes and the oil is fully up to temp according to my gauge. After going another mile or so the gauge reflected 1-2 bar drop and subsequently rose once I was idling at a stoplight. It’s about 55 today and noticed the same behavior yesterday but thought I was seeing things.

I’m thinking thermostat or something with the oil cooler. Car has no codes, no CEL and drives perfectly fine. I’m open to any suggestions and I thank you in advance.

Last edited by Lend0; 12-27-20 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-27-20, 12:16 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,476 Likes on 1,781 Posts

The temperatures are much cooler so it might have been over compensated (with the oil cooler) and dropped a bar or two. Sounds normal to me.
The following users liked this post:
Yri (12-27-20)
Old 12-27-20, 01:44 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 545 Likes on 361 Posts

What’s your coolant level like?
Old 12-27-20, 02:12 PM
Yri
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

I know that there is a mechanical thermostat (close to the same way that a coolant thermostat works) that allows oil to flow into the auxiliary air to oil cooler on the driver side of the car. Before that opens, the coolant is pushed through a donut shaped oil cooler that is a water-to-oil cooler. If anything its probable that the air to oil cooler had it's thermostat open and hence while moving, the temperatures were lower when moving and higher when stopped. Not sure exactly if thats the case here though. Considering the air was cooler today that may have something to do with it. I haven't seen any cases of the oil thermostat going, yet the car is new and stuff. If you wish to see an image for yourself, I have one from a parts website

Part number 15660 is the thermostat housing and part number 15701D is the air-to-oil cooler assembly. I'm assuming this phenomenon is normal, maybe I'm wrong.

05RollaXRS (12-27-20)
Old 12-27-20, 02:22 PM
Lend0
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cvt
What’s your coolant level like?
It’s fine and if it were low, wouldn’t the car overheat instead of affecting oil temp?
Old 12-27-20, 05:11 PM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 169 Likes on 100 Posts

How many miles on the car?

if it’s an older car just change the thermostat and only use oem there are likely about $40 3 10mm bolts and it’s an easy job. May have to ad a little coolant. Anytime I’ve had temp changes that are odd I’ve changed the thermostat and it resolved things. They can stick and cause wonky issues
Old 12-27-20, 05:39 PM
Yri
Advanced

Originally Posted by winterturb
How many miles on the car?

if it’s an older car just change the thermostat and only use oem there are likely about $40 3 10mm bolts and it’s an easy job. May have to ad a little coolant. Anytime I’ve had temp changes that are odd I’ve changed the thermostat and it resolved things. They can stick and cause wonky issues
Originally Posted by Lend0
It’s fine and if it were low, wouldn’t the car overheat instead of affecting oil temp?
Actually, if the coolant level were low, it would generally keep both the water and oil temps up above normal, while moving or stopped. I think that if the coolant thermostat was stuck open or closed, the car would overheat if stuck closed and if stuck open it would take literal ages to warm up. If the oil thermostat was stuck open, the oil temps would also take ages to warm up, of which I don't believe is the case.

I personally believe this isn't really an issue, as the car isn't overheating or taking long to warm up. The air temperatures are down, so I would assume its just the air-to-oil cooler doing its thing.
Old 12-27-20, 08:25 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 545 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Lend0
When I had the valley plate leak on my ISF my coolant level was always below the full line. I would have intermittent cases where my temp bar was one bar lower than normal.
Old 12-28-20, 03:58 PM
Teutonic
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

In cooler ambient temps while just cruising on on the highway, sometimes my oil temp will be a tick below the middle. I believe that is normal.
The following 2 users liked this post by Teutonic:
Lend0 (12-29-20), Yri (12-28-20)
Old 12-29-20, 05:27 AM
Lend0
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Teutonic
In cooler ambient temps while just cruising on on the highway, sometimes my oil temp will be a tick below the middle. I believe that is normal.
Makes sense, thanks for your input here!
Old 12-31-20, 02:29 PM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 345 Likes on 227 Posts

On cold days I get the oil temp to dip a bit off center from time to time. Plus, its takes forever to get the oil warm.
Old 01-09-21, 07:40 PM
Ab175
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Just got my RCF, and I have this issue as well (not really sure if it's an issue tbh lol). My car's oil temp gauge seems to always be a tick below center unless I am pushing the car or driving aggressively. Could be due to the cooler weather here in Texas this week (it's been in the 50s and high 40s). My only reservation or worry about this "issue" is if it's still ok to floor it or accelerate to redline when the oil is just one tick below the center. It pretty much does not warm up to the center unless it is driven in this manner. Do y'all think it's ok to still push the car to redline when the oil temp is a tick below center or is that abusive to the engine? Please let me know what you all think.
Old 01-10-21, 09:14 AM
Teutonic
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Ab175
Just got my RCF, and I have this issue as well (not really sure if it's an issue tbh lol). My car's oil temp gauge seems to always be a tick below center unless I am pushing the car or driving aggressively. Could be due to the cooler weather here in Texas this week (it's been in the 50s and high 40s). My only reservation or worry about this "issue" is if it's still ok to floor it or accelerate to redline when the oil is just one tick below the center. It pretty much does not warm up to the center unless it is driven in this manner. Do y'all think it's ok to still push the car to redline when the oil temp is a tick below center or is that abusive to the engine? Please let me know what you all think.
Your tach has a graduated redline that goes up as the temps get to an acceptable range. I don't believe being a few ticks below the center affects that (full redline occurs somewhere around when water is full temp and oil is partially up to temp). Your transmission will also shift based on it's current temperature.
Ab175 (01-10-21)
Old 01-10-21, 11:11 AM
Yri
Advanced

Yes, you are correct. The oil temperature being one or two ticks below the middle line isn't a problem, generally that means the air-to-oil cooler is just doing its job. Colder air temperatures mean cooler oil, since oil flows through an auxiliary cooler, cooled by moving air. Generally speaking, the redline will fully open up when the water temperatures are about 2 ticks below the middle, I believe it is the same for oil temps too. The redline should remain at 7,300 even if the oil is one or two ticks below the middle temperature. Basically, in a nutshell, its totally fine. Having cooler oil also helps cool the engine, which will make the engine last longer. Cooler oil is almost always better than overheating oil (the RC F does a super good job with cooling itself). I believe this 'issue' if you want to call it that, is just the oil cooler doing its thing.
Ab175 (01-10-21)
Old 01-10-21, 11:48 AM
Ab175
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Thanks for the clarifications guys!
Yri (01-11-21)

Quick Reply: Strangie Issue with Oil Temperature