RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Would you trade your RCF for the IS500 F-Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-21, 11:59 AM
Yri
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by cvt
Hmmmm.....no slotted brembos, no side fender brake vent, no TVD, no carbon fiber shenanigans...

Does it have an oil and tranny cooler (maybe not as the two ducts upfront look fake?)?
Is it the same Aisin transmission programmed similar to the F cars?...does it have the same steering ecu?
Weight?....should be below 3,900?
Stock brake pads...high temp?
Tire widths? 255/275?

Lots of questions still...but excited Lexus hasn’t given up on the V8...or performance
By the looks of it its not an actual F model like the RC F is. The RC F was meant to take track work, this doesn't look like it could very well. For instance, it lacks the oil coolers, and the 8 speed auto is a slightly different code then the AA80E, I believe it has shorter ratios. The weight is about 3,890 something. I think the tire width in the rear may actually be smaller, which would explain the higher 0-60 time (4.5 seconds).

EDIT: Also, forgot to mention the rear brake calipers. They look single piston, the fronts look like 4 pistons. They look like something like the regular F sport brake calipers, same color. The IS350 F sport also has 4 piston front and single piston rears, so there isn't much of an upgrade in that department.

Last edited by Yri; 02-22-21 at 12:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
05RollaXRS (02-22-21)
Old 02-22-21, 12:17 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,778 Posts

I have read the 8 speed transmission is from IS350 and the RCF 8 speed. Not sure if that is accurate.

It is intended to kill the upcoming 355 HP Acura TLX Type S with a sledgehammer, but I think it would be priced much higher than the TLX Type S and TLX comes with AWD only while IS500 F-Sport is RWD only.

Originally Posted by Yri
By the looks of it its not an actual F model like the RC F is. The RC F was meant to take track work, this doesn't look like it could very well. For instance, it lacks the oil coolers, and the 8 speed auto is a slightly different code then the AA80E, I believe it has shorter ratios. The weight is about 3,890 something. I think the tire width in the rear may actually be smaller, which would explain the higher 0-60 time (4.5 seconds).

EDIT: Also, forgot to mention the rear brake calipers. They look single piston, the fronts look like 4 pistons. They look like something like the regular F sport brake calipers, same color. The IS350 F sport also has 4 piston front and single piston rears, so there isn't much of an upgrade in that department.
Yri (02-22-21)
Old 02-22-21, 12:21 PM
Yri
Advanced

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I have read the 8 speed transmission is from IS350 and the RCF 8 speed. Not sure how accurate that is.
I believe they are essentially the same thing, however, in the 2021 Lexus IS350 product information sheet, it shows that the transmission is an AA81E. I believe the main difference between the two is the programming and the torque specifications. They did say it has the same 8 speed as the Is350 did, but maybe they meant the RC F? The RC F has the AA80E which has more clutch plates inside of each pack. It basically allows for more torque before slippage.

After reading the ratios they appear to be the same. Same forward and reverse ratios.

Last edited by Yri; 02-22-21 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-22-21, 12:23 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Yri
I believe they are essentially the same thing, however, in the 2021 Lexus IS350 product information sheet, it shows that the transmission is an AA81E. I believe the main difference between the two is the programming and the torque specifications. They did say it has the same 8 speed as the Is350 did, but maybe they meant the RC F? The RC F has the AA80E which has more clutch plates inside of each pack. It basically allows for more torque before slippage
Nope. They are different. They might share some components, but RCF 8 speed was developed as an evolution of the ISF 8 speed direct shift. RCF has the gear ratios line up with the ISF. (the pre-2020 RCF had the same 2.93:1 final drive as the ISF, which was updated to 3.13:1 in 2020+). has different software programming and different gear ratios. Also, RCF transmission has oil coolers with it. I think the gear ratios would easily tell which one is it.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-22-21 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-22-21, 12:27 PM
Yri
Advanced

Nope. They are different. They might share some components, but RCF 8 speed was developed as an evolution of the ISF 8 speed direct shift. RCF has different software programming and different gear ratios. Also, RCF transmission has oil coolers with it.
Yes, the RC F has transmission oil coolers and WAY more aggressive tuning. However the gear ratios are the same, as well as most of the internals (except for the exception of beefy equipment to cope with more torque). If you wish to see the differences yourself, I have attached the 2021 IS press kit (does not include the IS 500).

The final drive ratios are more of a differential thing then a transmission thing. On the IS it is 3.13
Attached Files

Last edited by Yri; 02-22-21 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-22-21, 12:35 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Yri
Yes, the RC F has transmission oil coolers and WAY more aggressive tuning. However the gear ratios are the same. If you wish to see the differences yourself, I have attached the 2021 IS press kit (does not include the IS 500).

The final drive ratios are more of a differential thing then a transmission thing. On the IS it is 3.13
Yeah, ratios look very similar so the software tuning and cooling systems are the main difference. I believe the IS does not lock the torque converter in manual mode.
Yri (02-22-21)
Old 02-22-21, 12:36 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I posted more thoughts over in the ISF subsection, but I see the offering of an IS500 as a good reset for the Lexus lineup, and I hope Lexus will effectively adopt a lineup similar to that of Audi, where you have a car like the A4 which can have an S-line package which is just basically an appearance package, then you have the S4 which is a true performance upgrade over the S line, then the RS4 which is the highest performing model they make. Similarly, I hope we have the F-Sport package which is just trim and appearance, the F-Sport performance package which actually means performance upgrades, then the F models which are the top of the food chain.

IS F ---> IS F-Sport Performance ---> IS F Sport.

Is there enough interest for these different trim levels? Will they do the same with the LS and RC? Who knows.
The following 3 users liked this post by vbb:
natnut (02-23-21), Vitveet (03-11-21), Yri (02-22-21)
Old 02-22-21, 12:52 PM
Lend0
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

I think this was a smart move by Lexus. This will bring awareness and energize the Lexus brand and will drive up the price of any F car of the past. This is all speculation and my opinion, obviously.

My RCF was purchased as the perfect daily as I drive about 6,000 miles annually. I don’t owe much money on it, but can’t think of another car that delivers the looks (), performance, and reliability. I’d love a C63S coupe but I question the long term ownership as I buy and HODL my assets. In addition, the RCF is over engineered to handle track duty and most cars would limp mode whereas the RCF, GSF keep pushing.

No, I don’t foresee getting this new IS but I’m happy the eco-fascists didn’t prevent the release.
neff2641 (09-13-21)
Old 02-22-21, 01:00 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Apparently, the wheel/tire width is different. It has Pirelli P-Zero tires in 235 mm front and probably 255 or 265 mm rear as opposed to the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 255/275 RCF has.
Old 02-22-21, 01:03 PM
kukudm
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

I have the GSF, but if I own the RCF, I wouldn't trade it for this new IS500, unless really need those two more doors in the back. Honestly it doesn't feel like an upgrade to me, it just doesn't feel all that special other than the engine.

I personally do think the IS500 will be a "bargain" for enthusiasts. It's a mixed feeling, on one hand, our beloved 2UR engine is now in a F Sport model, that "watered down" kind of feeling. On the other hand, the 2UR soldiers on, which means parts availability and aftermarket will sustain for longer. If my guess is right, Lexus is trying to make room for a new engine in the full F model, likely that TT V8. Now I think that will be something worth for current F owners to trade up to.
The following 7 users liked this post by kukudm:
05RollaXRS (02-22-21), 1wacko (02-23-21), EP101 (02-28-21), greys0uled (03-03-22), MCB1970 (02-23-21), natnut (02-23-21), Yri (02-22-21) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-22-21, 01:13 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Well said. You hit the nail right on the head. At that time, I was looking to get practical use out of the car as well. However, once I bought the RCF and realized it is nothing more than a hobby/project for weekend/summer use, I purchased the Lexus RX450h to fulfill all of the daily driving duties. It pretty much eliminated the need for RCF to be used in that capacity. Also, we can take both of our small kids in the RCF in baby seats in the back, which is not inconvenient if you only drive once in a while.

Also, like you said, it is "bargain basement special" for people who want want the engine, but not all of the track related hardware GSF or RCF have. It is most likely meant to kill the TLX Type S before it even arrived.

Originally Posted by kukudm
I have the GSF, but if I own the RCF, I wouldn't trade it for this new IS500, unless really need those two more doors in the back. Honestly it doesn't feel like an upgrade to me, it just doesn't feel all that special other than the engine.

I personally do think the IS500 will be a "bargain" for enthusiasts. It's a mixed feeling, on one hand, our beloved 2UR engine is now in a F Sport model, that "watered down" kind of feeling. On the other hand, the 2UR soldiers on, which means parts availability and aftermarket will sustain for longer. If my guess is right, Lexus is trying to make room for a new engine in the full F model, likely that TT V8. Now I think that will be something worth for current F owners to trade up to.
The following 2 users liked this post by 05RollaXRS:
kukudm (02-22-21), natnut (02-23-21)
Old 02-22-21, 01:27 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

It is most likely meant to kill the TLX Type S before it even arrived.
Didn't even think of that. Yeah, the team over at Acura must not like this one bit...but that'll all come down to pricing. I "think" the MSRP on this IS500 will be over $10k higher than the TLX Type S which is significant.
The following 2 users liked this post by vbb:
vraa (02-22-21), Yri (02-22-21)
Old 02-22-21, 02:26 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vbb
Didn't even think of that. Yeah, the team over at Acura must not like this one bit...but that'll all come down to pricing. I "think" the MSRP on this IS500 will be over $10k higher than the TLX Type S which is significant.
Yeah, that would be pretty brutal. 472 HP and ~ 3900 lbs RWD and 355 HP TT V6 and 4200 lbs. Agreed it is also dependent on pricing, but the TLX Type S is not going to be cheap either considering the standard TLX is not much cheaper than the IS350. My guess is, the I500 F-Sport will be close to $58 - 60K starting.
The following 2 users liked this post by 05RollaXRS:
neff2641 (09-13-21), Yri (02-22-21)
Old 02-22-21, 02:36 PM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 345 Likes on 227 Posts

I will keep my RCF. It does everything I want in a performance touring car.
The following 2 users liked this post by CAHWY128:
BossMoss (03-15-21), Lend0 (02-22-21)
Old 02-22-21, 04:04 PM
mistermatt
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Lexus explains why it is called F-Sport and not an F.

Exclusive: Why Isn’t The IS 500 Called IS F? | Lexus Enthusiast
^ Reading this helped clarify a few things for me.

At first, I was disappointed by the pictures & videos of the IS500. The front & rear fascia don’t look different enough. And no front fender vent? And the front seats are exactly the same?

As @vbb said, it seems like Lexus is positioning itself to offer more variety in their line-up. The IS500 is establishing the “F Sport Performance” line: essentially the V8 engine in the same shell of the IS350.

This leads us to believe that an ISF is still on the horizon. And this model will have a different front/rear fascia, fender vent, different front seats, and the V8 with the performance upgrades the RCF has (big brake kit, oil cooler, etc).

If an ISF is never released, that would suck. The IS500 doesn’t look different enough from the IS350 F Sport.
Vitveet (03-11-21)

Quick Reply: Would you trade your RCF for the IS500 F-Sport?