RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

2016 Carbon Roof Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-21, 02:42 PM
IS350mumba
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

MODERATOR EDIT: IS350mumba please exit this thread

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-21-21 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-25-21, 02:59 PM
CK9887
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

If the car is under warranty you may have some luck....

However, it could be a fight. I believe the list on an OEM carbon fiber roof is $15K
Old 02-25-21, 03:48 PM
sensai
Advanced

Received 662 Likes on 230 Posts

back on topic....op, does it look like it's the clear coating or something down further? from the pic it kinda looks like surface. im no paint expert but I wonder if a paint correction / good buff would help then maybe ppf.
The following users liked this post:
JT2MA71 (02-25-21)
Old 02-25-21, 04:28 PM
Lend0
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Are they water spots or oxidation? If the latter your detailer should be able to remove.
Old 02-25-21, 07:36 PM
JT2MA71
Forum Moderator

Received 1,610 Likes on 701 Posts

It looks like it may be the ceramic coating...
Mingofish (02-26-21)
Old 02-26-21, 07:28 AM
AlexAviles
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350mumba
Ok lets see them, put some close up pics here. Possible that the trim is different with that package what you have. Iv seen only normal/standard trims in person.
They are real carbon. I’m having the same issue as the guy in the video (@60k). I have removed the panel and the switches in hopes I could re-moisturize the carbon. The carbon trim is a thin (thickness of a credit card) layer of carbon overlapping a larger piece of plastic. I believe the pieces are cut after being adhered together and that is why these exposed weaves dry out. Has anyone else had the dealer replace them? It bothers the **** out of me, hence why I attempted to see if it was fixable. I have some dry carbon parts on some older motorcycles and they will take moisturizing products that will make the look even again but unfortunately these will not. I’m glad this thread came up though and now I know I’m not the only one.

Old 02-26-21, 07:43 AM
AlexAviles
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by davidrcf
Hey gang,

I'm new on here. I have a 2016 RC F with the performance package and am looking to see if any one is has gone through or is experiencing a like situation. I have owned my car for two years. I bought it used (certified pre-owned) with 24k miles on it. Upon purchasing the car I had ceramic pro 9H Light coating done to protect the paint, roof, and wing. I have had zero issues with the car until last Saturday when I was washing the car and noticed these spots on my roof. The my local dealership is telling me tough luck, because this is carbon fiber you should keep the car out of the sun and when possible keep the car in the garage. The car is my daily driver so this is not realistic. Here are a few pictures of the issue on the roof. Thanks in advance for the help!

David
So this was something I was worried about happening with ceramic coatings. About 20 years ago carbon was quite a different beast on exterior automotive applications. The sun was the carbon’s archenemy. Clear coats of the day could not let rays of light reflect away from the weave of carbon, hence harmful uv would penetrate the top layer of clear coat and get trapped bouncing around between the layer of clear and carbon. This extra light damage would greatly shorten the life of the carbon. New, modern, epoxying and clear coats help lengthen the life of carbon in the sun. I was curious if light would be amplified by the sun. It looks like the ceramic is cracking here. They are right about keeping the sun off carbon as much as possible that’s just how it is so if you bought the car without knowing that it’s kind of on you. You could always have the roof and wing wrapped to save them. That might be your best option until you have a better storage option for the car. Even parking it in the shade under a tree will help. I have noticed my roof turns a lighter color, almost brownish grey, when it’s sitting in the hot summer sun.
Good luck, save that carbon!
Old 02-26-21, 09:26 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,950 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Issues with the GSF also

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...m-bubbles.html

Lou
The following 2 users liked this post by flowrider:
guanche2k9 (02-28-21), rp2000r (02-26-21)
Old 02-26-21, 09:01 PM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

So... wouldn't Lexus have clear coated over the roof with something that provides UV protection?
Old 03-01-21, 08:49 AM
1A1
Instructor

Received 305 Likes on 210 Posts

A body shop maybe able to repair that with some light sanding/buffing and then have the entire roof cleared with a UV clear coat. The previous owner may not have taken care of the car before you had it and that damage could be the result.

Steve
Old 03-01-21, 09:20 AM
Lend0
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by CinFulxgs
So... wouldn't Lexus have clear coated over the roof with something that provides UV protection?
There's definitely clear coat on the cf roof & wing but it's not easy to determine as you can't use a paint gauge on cf.

Remember this is a sample size of 1 so far, to go around the forum saying this is an ongoing issue is misleading.
Old 03-01-21, 11:01 AM
JT2MA71
Forum Moderator

Received 1,610 Likes on 701 Posts

Curious to know what the OP finds out. He purchased the car without this issue and had it ceramic coated. I'm leaning towards this as cracks/breakdown in the thin layer of ceramic coating and not the factory clear coat. Once removed, I'd suggest getting PPF applied also, even if it discolors every couple years or so, it's easy to remove and have a new film re-applied.
Old 03-02-21, 04:43 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 782 Likes on 485 Posts
Arrow

That always worried me with the CF roof... It does look aweesome, but I almost feel like eventually something is going to happen to it. Especially if the car is left outside and the sun is beating down on it. I hope that doesn't happen to anyone else.

It does look like the ceramic coating is either failing there.. .and not the clear coat. The clear coat failing would be much more pronouced I believe from seeing the gel coat/clear coat failing on carbon pieces.... the CF would start looking gray and hazy.

On the topic of the interior pieces failing what is weird to me is all the pictures of the real CF's clear coat peeling and lifting it looks like silver carbon fiber under it. Someone posted a huge chunk missing on FB and the entire underside looked just like my silver cf piece that everyone says isn't real CF. Makes me wonder if Lexus is using the same pieces and just simply using a darker clear coating to change the appearance? Who knows? When looking at parts it actually states that both are carbon fiber. One is carbon fiber and the other is black carbon fiber.

The delaminated part looks very similart to what my silver cf trim looks like.

-Nigel

Last edited by nigel821; 03-02-21 at 05:12 PM.
05RollaXRS (03-02-21)
Old 03-02-21, 05:30 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

If it's the ceramic coating can't you just clay bar it off?
Old 03-05-21, 06:40 AM
davidrcf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I have taken the car to local paint correction/ceramic coating installers as well as some highly regarded painters in my area and the consensus is all the same. They believe the clear coat is failing in this area. I called the 1-800 lexus customer number and seemed to get a bit more traction than at my local dealer. The representative on the phone asked if the dealer gave me a repair quote which they had not. I have reached out to my dealer in effort to get the requested repair quote and am now waiting for them to research who can help. There have been a few questions about the spots. The clear feels smooth as any other spot on the roof so this is not a surface issue (oxidation or failing ceramic). The spot is weirdly not visible in an overcast environment or shade, it is only in a sunny environment. I will keep everyone posted. BTW, the ceramic installer who also installs paint protection film says I have done above and beyond by tinting windows and having the entire car ceramic coated. I will post more updates when available.

Quick Reply: 2016 Carbon Roof Issue