RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

does this seem like an ok price or keep looking?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-21, 05:23 PM
stag3
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default does this seem like an ok price or keep looking?

https://dealerinfo.com/evo2/fresh/eL...qNzcnY10.cBDAn

2015 with 38k miles for 45k, it does have a minor accident on the carfax, i added the car to drivers.lexus.com and it appears all the services were done including the recall, but one of the headlights was replaced.
Should I keep looking? or is this a good price etc..?
Old 02-25-21, 05:46 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,795 Posts

Considering it has an accident, I would say keep looking. Price seems OK for 38K miles at $45K, but you would have other options at $45K
The following users liked this post:
Yri (02-25-21)
Old 02-25-21, 05:48 PM
stag3
Driver

ok thanks, and your thoughts if tvd is needed outside of resale down the line? there are so many more choices for rcf's w/o the tvd.
Old 02-25-21, 06:51 PM
Yri
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by stag3
ok thanks, and your thoughts if tvd is needed outside of resale down the line? there are so many more choices for rcf's w/o the tvd.
I'd say skip on that car, you could probably find a better option for a similar price.

The TVD is really only something you get if you are going to track or do spirited drives with your car. There aren't many benefits of it outside of that, besides the slightly lower center of gravity, which would only really show itself during spirited driving and tracking. As far as the trackday benefits, it makes the rear end a little more lively and gives you higher lateral g's, and has better longitudinal weight distribution, which all equals to faster cornering speeds. It basically just helps with agility. If you want to see the differences, here is an image from Car and Driver that displays the differences.

EDIT: Actually, after looking at the Carfax history report, maybe it wasn't particularly a hard incident. It appears they had a good ol' bonk to the front right area, it happens. Keep it in mind, I would discard the idea just yet...

Last edited by Yri; 02-25-21 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-25-21, 07:46 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I personally love the package. Carbon fiber lowers the center of gravity and also adds a bit more rigidity on the roof especially for quick maneuvering. TVD is enjoyable on the streets so you don't have to go to the track to appreciate it. TVD makes the car feel more shorter wheelbase with the on-center steering response is very sharp in slalom mode under both acceleration and braking. If you enjoy tossing the car in the turns then TVD really makes it feel very natural for the rear end to rotate.

The test Yri posted above was for an RCF with only TVD with moonroof and no carbon fiber so it technically would have been better if they had used a proper carbon/TVD RCF.

Track mode is for high speed turns. On the other side, LSD is a simpler and predictable system that will go 50/50 so on the other side of the fence people say, it is better for peace of mind over the long term. Personally, I have no concerns over long term reliability. I am sure it will work fine.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-25-21 at 08:24 PM.
Yri (02-26-21)
Old 02-25-21, 08:19 PM
Lend0
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Run away at that price, especially with an accident. I purchased my 2015 with 20K for less with no accident nor paintwork. It has the CF/TVD and is awesome with the Invidia catback.

Old 02-25-21, 09:22 PM
stag3
Driver

where the hell did you find that deal? i know prices have gone up a lot since like july/august of last year. trying to find the best deal on an rcf/gsf right now. but i only like white/blue/gray in that order.
Yri (02-26-21)
Old 02-25-21, 10:39 PM
Ab175
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

where the hell did you find that deal? i know prices have gone up a lot since like july/august of last year. trying to find the best deal on an rcf/gsf right now. but i only like white/blue/gray in that order.
I just bought my RC F in early January so I know what you are facing in terms of finding a decent RC F lol. It took me a while too. I would say that that is a decent deal especially considering it has the TVD and Carbon Package. I paid a little more for mine because I have been in love with Ultrasonic blue mica since I first saw it on the IS F so I paid a bit of a premium for the only RC F I could find in my area with the color I wanted. Mine has no TVD/Carbon package, but I don't really miss it. I do not track my RC F and I feel the Torsen is fine for the street, however, this is just my opinion, and Rolla and others have been here much longer than myself and probably have more experience with the topic lol. Either way, I would say that if you really want the Carbon package and the TVD this car might not be a bad option. If you are not looking for cars with the TVD and carbon package there are far more options in my experience so you should be able to find a slightly better deal. I was not able to find one with those options in the Houston area so I ended up just pulling the trigger on one without it. In the end, it is your decision, Best of luck with your search!

Last edited by Ab175; 02-25-21 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-26-21, 05:33 AM
Yri
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Lend0
Run away at that price, especially with an accident. I purchased my 2015 with 20K for less with no accident nor paintwork. It has the CF/TVD and is awesome with the Invidia catback.

Dang thats a good deal, I guess the used car market really hasn't been having a good time recently.
Old 02-26-21, 06:30 AM
Lend0
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

I purchased it last April before Covid was priced into used cars. The dealership had pictures in their ad from a 2005 GS so it wasn't listed correctly and had 2 test-drives over 70 days. So I lowballed and they accepted

If I remember correctly I called on the car on a Wednesday night and had it done by Friday. Car had all records on Lexusdrivers and the original owner was in the dealership constantly having things replaced under warranty. Sometimes I peruse Carmax and see they are selling 3 owner cars with accidents, 50K miles for $42K. I'd much rather find one with higher mileage and thorough records rather than one with a questionable service history and low miles, especially if you're trying to keep your cost down.

Best of luck in your search!
Yri (02-26-21)
Old 02-26-21, 07:47 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Yri
Dang thats a good deal, I guess the used car market really hasn't been having a good time recently.
Prices just recently started going up within the last year. Most likely, he bought his before that.
Old 02-28-21, 07:18 PM
DenSmith
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

I just spent 4 months looking before I bought mine, ended up with no TVD but I do like the sunroof open with the glass closed to give the cabin a bit more "roominess" in appearance, anyway I am 6'4" so it helps. So, that price is not good for a 2015, not that I care so much about the year on a Lexus RCF, the general rule of newer year is more valuable trickles down to the RCF, that price is a 2017 year price. Now, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche dealers that end up with these are all bound by what they paid for the car on trade in, generally these dealers and Lexus dealers will have a higher price for an RCF than wholesalers, Carvana, or Carfax. Private dealers will be even better. I let a fully optioned Silver/red 2015 private party with less than 16,000 miles go before I bought mine, his final price was $41,000. He also had the best platinum Lexus extended warranty on the car for 2 more years included. There was also a Red/Black all optioned 2015 with 57,000 for $42,500 in Dallas at a wholesaler type dealership I didn't buy, it was in great condition with Borla exhaust, adjustable springs, some kind of intake the forum recommends, and a JL subwoofer setup in the trunk. Anyway, the prices haven't come down much since I bought mine in December, I'm surprised really. I got a Gray/Red Lexus CPO with 70,000 miles, 2015 no TVD for $36,500 that was in in incredible condition, like flawless no accident no paintwork and a better conditioned interior than many 30,000 mile 2015s I saw in person (It was also a lifetime Texas car, bonus). I think my price came because it sat there for 2 months and the Lexus dealer originally sold the car, got it as a trade in once and this time got it as a trade in for a second time, in other words they had made quite a bit of money on this car just recycling it to me as the third owner, so anyway they discounted it from $38,500 when they first listed it plus I also got it on Dec 28th, they were wheeling and dealing on new and used cars like crazy, the dealership was a madhouse. I've seen some private sale RCF sit on autotrader with tiny $500 discounts for 5-6 months, so some private sellers are stubborn. But, I'm rambling, at a dealership whatever they paid for a car at auction or at trade in will influence the price and like I said some fancy dealerships will be high because that's how they roll, fancy and expensive and they might have the foot traffic and expensive customer base to gamble on a high price for a month before they get anxious and drop the price. I'm guessing that white one you mentioned has $2,000 in wiggle room, but it's still kind of high and White and Black are two of the easier RCF colors to find when I was looking. No offense to 05RollaXRS the orange ones sit a little longer or are offered for slightly less and I do like the orange, especially in person it actually looks amazing.
Old 02-28-21, 07:27 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DenSmith
No offense to 05RollaXRS the orange ones sit a little longer or are offered for slightly less and I do like the orange, especially in person it actually looks amazing.
No offense taken. However, it depends on many variables as regions, condition, packages, mileage etc. are far bigger factor than the color. Very hard to predict how one would be priced relative to another.

Having said that, I can relate to it and see why people avoid such a color because it is so "in your face" and screams "look at me" making it difficult to blend in. Most people need to drive almost daily and it can be annoying to have such a color. I actually did not even consider this color as my top choices were red, blue or sliver. I did not think it was suitable for my personality type as I am a low profile guy. My only hard requirement was the carbon/TVD package. That is, until I saw Molten Pearl and I just could not get my mind off it after the test drive. It also only had 8000 miles. I personally looked at around 10 - 12 RCFs over the course of 10 months and only 1 was Molten Pearl. Whites and blacks are the most popular ones listed while the blue, red, orange are a small percentage of that. Especially, the Molten Pearl and USB 2.0 were the two optional extra-cost paint so most of them did not have it.

I am very happy I did not pass on it, but not the color you want to go everywhere with.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-28-21 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-28-21, 08:10 PM
stag3
Driver

i love the molten pearl, they just hardly pop up when checking autotrader
Old 02-28-21, 08:20 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

i love the molten pearl, they just hardly pop up when checking autotrader
Two of them have misleading thumbnail pictures of Solar Flare RCF on autotrader.ciom, but they are actually white and black.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-28-21 at 08:36 PM.