RC F purchasing advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-21, 05:52 PM
TheCatLoaf
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RC F purchasing advice

Hello all!

Currently searching for my (eventual) RC F and thought I would ask for everyone’s thoughts and advice.

Settled on a 2020 with Premium (new or used is fine) and have located a new, leftover 2020 model in the right color combination. MSRP is 80,578 and the dealer has had it on their lot for 7 months, so it looks like there is potential there.

Any thoughts on what I should be looking for at this point in the year for discount numbers? Advice on negotiation tactics?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by TheCatLoaf; 04-26-21 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-26-21, 06:09 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,482 Likes on 1,787 Posts

Since it is a 2020, it is technically one year old so definitely, the dealership would be motivated to sell it. You might want to set a ceiling price in your mind and start a few grand lower than that. The dealership seeing the opportunity to sell the car, would not want to be dismissive of your offer. You should ask them to counter. You would keep closing the gap until you meeting somewhere in the middle. I don't know of an exact percentage, but $5000 - $7000 off a car that is one year old is totally reasonable.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 04-26-21 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-27-21, 09:31 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 778 Likes on 482 Posts

I bought my 2020 RCF back in November. It had a MSRP of $80,450.

It was built exactly how I made it online down to the interior color leather, moon roof, ML stereo..etc.. No carbon fiber package or TVD (which is OK, I actually prefer the all white rather than bits of CF on the car, it looks much cleaner to me).

I got the car for around $68k. It had 2 miles on the ODO. The previous 2019 that I test drove had around 4k miles on it and less options they had for sale for around $64k.

I got the $6k off from Lexus due to the 2020 incentives so close to 2021 new year and then the dealer gave me another $6k off. Seemed like a no brainer to me saving $12k off of a new car and the only difference between mine and the 2021 was the 2021 had Android Auto (which as much as I want was/is not worth paying an extra $12k)

-Nigel
Old 04-27-21, 07:56 PM
CK9887
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

$70K sounds about right...
Old 04-27-21, 08:45 PM
ALargeTom
Pit Crew

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Maybe you can try 14% discount?
Old 04-27-21, 08:52 PM
ALargeTom
Pit Crew

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Are you talking about the blue one sit in PA dealer?
not many new 2020 rcf listed on market
2 red new 2020 rcf with 1500miles / 6000 miles , not sure why do they mark them as "new" vehicle
and another one is track edition with 100k msrp.

I find most of dealers stop importing carbon fiber package. Most of 2020 / 2021 rc f s are loaded with sun-roof premium package. I can only find few carbon fiber package s from Hawaii
Old 04-28-21, 05:16 PM
TheCatLoaf
Driver School Candidate

Great info here! Have always appreciated the level of knowledge and class represented in this sub-forum (longtime lurker here, finally made good lol).

So, hypothetically, if there were an opportunity to get a 2021 that is very similar to my specs, but with the TVD for a bit more, would it be worthwhile? The cost difference is not a significant budgetary factor, but the possible experience difference is.
For perspective, steering feel and response character are a big thing for my driving style. Is there *that* notable a difference?

I know the TVD vs LSD topic has been discussed at length here, so my intention is not to stir up debate that is already in the forum archives (most of which I’ve already parsed through haha). That said, thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Last edited by TheCatLoaf; 04-28-21 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-28-21, 05:31 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TheCatLoaf
So, hypothetically, if there were an opportunity to get a 2021 that is very similar to my specs, but with the TVD for a bit more, would it be worthwhile? The cost difference is not a significant budgetary factor, but the possible experience difference is.
For perspective, steering feel and response character are a big thing for my driving style. Is there *that* notable a difference?
Yes, it is not just for the track. Even on city roads driving at slow speeds, TVD is a brilliant piece of engineering designed for the RCF that makes a pretty significant difference in the steering response/quickness (slalom mode, for example) and nose authority. Off-center, the steering responses are sharper especially in slalom mode.

Both under acceleration out of turn and braking while turning, you will notice how fast the steering points the nose exactly where you want it to go. Also, it is very natural making the car feel shorter than it actually is. I always keep it in slalom mode combined with the sport+/manual mode and it is the magical combination for me. Although, at higher speeds, track mode is better for high speed turning stability.

I also really like how going through a decreasing radius spiraling downward turn when gravity is acting more on the front end, if you feel the nose is loading up too much thus reducing nose authority via the steering, just tip in the throttle a tiny bit and suddenly the nose and steering would tuck the nose in.

For me personally, TVD is worth the extra money, but for others it might be different so you cannot go wrong with either LSD or TVD.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 04-28-21 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-28-21, 06:25 PM
Ab175
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Honestly, the choice between TVD and LSD is very subjective. I would test drive both and see which one you prefer. From my experience, I find the LSD to be much more playful and controllable in slight oversteer moments. I found the TVD car to have a slight bit more understeer but to be more STABLE (in my opinion). On the corner exit, the TVD really hooks up well whereas the LSD tosses you out sideways slightly, when under power. The TVD provides lots of grip but the LSD is far more playful to me. I felt that the TVD was slightly unpredictable when pushing to the point of over/understeer because of the computerized interference. TVD tends to induce understeer (but also confidence), LSD tends to favor oversteer. It's really all about your driving style and what you prefer in terms of vehicle balancing. Again the best option is to test drive, and like Rolla said, honestly, can't go wrong either way. Good luck in your search!
Old 04-28-21, 06:39 PM
TheCatLoaf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ab175
Honestly, the choice between TVD and LSD is very subjective. I would test drive both and see which one you prefer. From my experience, I find the LSD to be much more playful and controllable in slight oversteer moments. I found the TVD car to have a slight bit more understeer but to be more STABLE (in my opinion). On the corner exit, the TVD really hooks up well whereas the LSD tosses you out sideways slightly, when under power. The TVD provides lots of grip but the LSD is far more playful to me. I felt that the TVD was slightly unpredictable when pushing to the point of over/understeer because of the computerized interference. TVD tends to induce understeer (but also confidence), LSD tends to favor oversteer. It's really all about your driving style and what you prefer in terms of vehicle balancing. Again the best option is to test drive, and like Rolla said, honestly, can't go wrong either way. Good luck in your search!
Excellent info. How would you compare slip-angle modulation on the TVD vs LSD? I'm assuming the TVD will still allow you rotate the back easily enough (given the right amount of throttle and gear selection), but at the same time it sounds as if it prioritizes traction more.
Old 04-28-21, 06:43 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Excellent info. How would you compare slip-angle modulation on the TVD vs LSD? I'm assuming the TVD will still allow you rotate the back easily enough (given the right amount of throttle and gear selection), but at the same time it sounds as if it prioritizes traction more.

Yes partially correct. It will make sure you can carry the desired speed through the turn by adding torque under acceleration while feeding in the throttle or reverse torque under braking with more so on the inside, but it makes the tail swing out quite easily under sudden jab to the throttle with the nose tightly pointed in especially in slalom mode.
Old 04-28-21, 06:52 PM
Ab175
Intermediate

In the end, I went with the LSD car, and I find that it is VERY easy to hold the car in the slide, and when you are ready, bring it back to the center. The traction control in sport + eases up a bit and lets you have a bit of fun sliding-wise and doesn't intervene much until you are really about to bin it (which is the way I like it lol). I have a lot more time and experience in the LSD since it is the one I actually ended up with, and I feel that it is the more predictable of the two options. The TVD is FANTASTIC for maximizing your track time or going as fast as you can, but in terms of oversteer, I found its reaction very weird when trying to powerslide it. It would understeer first, and then oversteer once the power overcomes the TVD trickery and the sticky tires, so I found that very hard to understand and cope with. I think in terms of oversteer the LSD is undoubtedly the better of the two but the TVD is amazing in its own way. Make no mistake, with enough throttle input in the right gear, the TVD will break loose (470hp is a lot) but it just did not give me the same feeling of predictability. The TVD really does make the car feel shorter at low speeds, and it will be surely the faster of the two on a track.

Last edited by Ab175; 04-28-21 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-28-21, 07:32 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Odd since understeer/oversteer balance is actually the trait of LSD. With the TVD, the whole objective is to make the tail rotate BEFORE the understeer ever happens hence giving the steering the nose authority it needs in order to carry more speed. The only catch is, one has to be on-throttle or on the brakes to avoid understeer so that the TVD could work its magic. I downshift rapidly approaching the turn to get the nose to dig in hard while applying brakes, flick the nose in early in the turn while getting on the throttle right away early in the entry phase. No understeer at all.

That is my observation of 4+ years in my RCF. Regarding tail stepping out, TVD especially in slalom mode as I described above, makes the tail kick out more easily than I would since I don't want to burn my tires as tires cost quite a bit especially the PS4S XL I have on.

In every day driving on the city roads, the biggest selling point for the TVD is, how responsive, nimble and light-on-its feet especially in slalom mode it makes the car creating the illusion that you are driving a smaller car.

This is a graphic showing how TVD distributes torque (the arrows) on the rear wheels as it is going through the turn under braking/acceleration

Originally Posted by Ab175
In the end, I went with the LSD car, and I find that it is VERY easy to hold the car in the slide, and when you are ready, bring it back to the center. The traction control in sport + eases up a bit and lets you have a bit of fun sliding-wise and doesn't intervene much until you are really about to bin it (which is the way I like it lol). I have a lot more time and experience in the LSD since it is the one I actually ended up with, and I feel that it is the more predictable of the two options. The TVD is FANTASTIC for maximizing your track time or going as fast as you can, but in terms of oversteer, I found its reaction very weird when trying to powerslide it. It would understeer first, and then oversteer once the power overcomes the TVD trickery and the sticky tires, so I found that very hard to understand and cope with. I think in terms of oversteer the LSD is undoubtedly the better of the two but the TVD is amazing in its own way. Make no mistake, with enough throttle input in the right gear, the TVD will break loose (470hp is a lot) but it just did not give me the same feeling of predictability. The TVD really does make the car feel shorter at low speeds, and it will be surely the faster of the two on a track.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 04-28-21 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-28-21, 07:34 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

I've driven RC F extensively with LSD and TVD on the streets and track. I prefer the Torsen LSD. Also think about replacement cost if you plan to keep it for a long time. Look up the cost of a TVD unit just to make sure you really want it. Part# 899C0-24030
Old 04-28-21, 07:42 PM
Ab175
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Odd since understeer transition to sudden oversteer is actually the trait of LSD. With the TVD, the whole objective is to make the tail rotate BEFORE the understeer ever happens hence giving the steering the nose authority it needs. The only catch is, one has to be on-throttle or on the brakes to avoid understeer so that the TVD could work its magic. I downshift rapidly approaching the turn to get the nose to dig in hard, flick the nose in early in the turn and get on the throttle right away early in the entry phase. No understeer at all.

hat is my observation of 4+ years in my RCF. The tail will gently step out if I I flick the steering and enter a turn. Regarding tail stepping out, TVD especially in slalom mode as I described above, makes the tail kick out more easily than I would since I don't want to burn my tires as tires cost quite a bit especially the PS4S XL I have on.

In every day driving on the city roads, the biggest selling point for the TVD is, how responsive, nimble and light-on-its feet especially in slalom mode it makes the car creating the illusion that you are driving a smaller car.
I respect your experience, I am sure that I was just having a weird experience because I did not spend a long time in the car and did not get super comfortable with it the way I have with the LSD. Just goes to show, the best way to make a choice would be a test drive for both! Good luck, and thanks to Rolla for correcting me!

Quick Reply: RC F purchasing advice