RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Blown Shock

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-21, 09:55 AM
3ISRC
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Ab175
It was from Northside Lexus in Houston, so not Lexus of Lakeway, however, I am very familiar with that dealership as well haha. As far as inspection, I had the battery replaced under warranty last week, if the battery in your car has never been replaced, it's worth asking them to test the battery, and if it fails you get a new one for free. Besides that, I cannot really think of anything else that is broken or needs replacing. Car drives great.
That’s awesome, didn’t think you can get a battery replacement after 4 years lol. Out here in AZ, we’d be lucky if our batteries last 4 years.
The following users liked this post:
Ab175 (05-03-21)
Old 05-04-21, 09:00 AM
ProfSCCA
Driver

Received 82 Likes on 33 Posts

When I was shopping for a Lexus CPO GSF or RCF, I read the detailed technician reports that the dealer creates on the steps to get it to “CPO status”.
10 of the 13 reports I read had one or both rear shocks leaking and being replaced. Every GSF and most RCF.

I assume it is a common thing that technicians catch in their close inspection. My experience is only based on those reports. So far my RCF shocks are holding up. I ask them to be inspected each time the car goes in to the dealer.

I expect my rear shocks will eventually leak.
Old 05-04-21, 09:09 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,778 Posts

I think it depends greatly on the type of roads the car gets driven. Mine is driven primarily on smooth roads so after 5+ years I just got full inspection done on Friday and everything is good.
3ISRC (05-04-21)
Old 05-04-21, 09:13 AM
3ISRC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ProfSCCA
When I was shopping for a Lexus CPO GSF or RCF, I read the detailed technician reports that the dealer creates on the steps to get it to “CPO status”.
10 of the 13 reports I read had one or both rear shocks leaking and being replaced. Every GSF and most RCF.

I assume it is a common thing that technicians catch in their close inspection. My experience is only based on those reports. So far my RCF shocks are holding up. I ask them to be inspected each time the car goes in to the dealer.

I expect my rear shocks will eventually leak.
It's surprising they can go out early. I mean, being lowered is one thing but it appears to be happening on stock suspension set up. I wonder how much is the cost to replace down the road without warranty. I'll be for sure checking them all the time now.
Old 05-04-21, 09:15 AM
3ISRC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I think it depends greatly on the type of roads the car gets driven. Mine is driven primarily on smooth roads so after 5+ years I just got full inspection done on Friday and everything is good.
Yea makes sense, bad roads condition plus stiff suspension would do it. Luckily our roads out here are nice.
05RollaXRS (05-04-21)
Old 05-04-21, 09:18 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 3ISRC
Yea makes sense, bad roads condition plus stiff suspension would do it. Luckily our roads out here are nice.
Yes, exactly. Harder rebound always is more reactive and on bad roads, the suspension is working harder especially in a short suspension stroke like we have as opposed to the one where the suspension stroke is longer/slower (hence glides through them)..
Old 05-04-21, 10:32 AM
Yri
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

Yes, exactly. Harder rebound always is more reactive and on bad roads, the suspension is working harder especially in a short suspension stroke like we have as opposed to the one where the suspension stroke is longer/slower (hence glides through them)..
Actually, I have noticed something quite odd. If you look at the carfax of a lot of 2017-2018 cars, (not so much 2019) they seem to have a weird habit of having their shocks replaced early. I have a little conspiracy of mine that the AVS kinda doesn't know how to exactly react to super rough roads, and might just stiffen the damping too much and actually blow the shock due to an insane increase in pressure. Not saying its true, but it does look like it... On 2015-2016 cars, I have yet to find one with a carfax that shows blown rear shocks.
Old 05-04-21, 10:38 AM
3ISRC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Yri
Actually, I have noticed something quite odd. If you look at the carfax of a lot of 2017-2018 cars, (not so much 2019) they seem to have a weird habit of having their shocks replaced early. I have a little conspiracy of mine that the AVS kinda doesn't know how to exactly react to super rough roads, and might just stiffen the damping too much and actually blow the shock due to an insane increase in pressure. Not saying its true, but it does look like it... On 2015-2016 cars, I have yet to find one with a carfax that shows blown rear shocks.
Now that you mentioned it, the carfax ones I looked at were mostly 2017s. Damn, I hope it's not the AVS but you have a good point here.
Old 05-04-21, 10:45 AM
Yri
Advanced

Now that you mentioned it, the carfax ones I looked at were mostly 2017s. Damn, I hope it's not the AVS but you have a good point here.
A majority I have seen have had the rear shocks blow in the first year of ownership, afterwards, nothing. A majority had their shocks replaced in 2018/2019, and since then, they seem to have no issues.
Old 05-04-21, 11:41 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Yri
Yes, that is most likely the case. The non-AVS always maintains the same damping rate at all times. However, the AVS one is always dynamically adjusting. Even in sport+ mode, I believe it is not stiff 100% of the time. It is still adjusting the damping forces dynamically even in sport+ to give a smoother ride.
The following 2 users liked this post by 05RollaXRS:
3ISRC (05-04-21), Yri (05-04-21)
Old 05-04-21, 01:06 PM
dingyibvs
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Interesting, now that you mentioned it, my 2017 had one front and one rear shock replaced recently.
Old 05-04-21, 01:08 PM
3ISRC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dingyibvs
Interesting, now that you mentioned it, my 2017 had one front and one rear shock replaced recently.
Unfortunately most 2017s basic warranty expired or about to soon and I hope this doesn’t become a common issue down the road.
Old 05-04-21, 01:23 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Unfortunately most 2017s basic warranty expired or about to soon and I hope this doesn’t become a common issue down the road.
I think you need to just be careful selecting your route and try to go through the smoothest possible path to your destination, even if it takes a little longer. You should be fine. I assume, the replacement AVS shock might have some design revisions in order to avoid the same issue from happening again.
Old 05-04-21, 01:29 PM
3ISRC
Intermediate

I think you need to just be careful selecting your route and try to go through the smoothest possible path to your destination, even if it takes a little longer. You should be fine. I assume, the replacement AVS shock might have some design revisions in order to avoid the same issue from happening again.
Good point, I'm not too worried. Most of the roads I take are in great condition. Besides, it's not even my daily lol. The cost of shocks replacement out of warranty doesn't seem too bad either.
Old 05-04-21, 02:31 PM
Yri
Advanced

I'm kinda thinking the same thing. Strange how a lot of 2017 ones have this issue (within a year of their original purchase date) but then 2018 and 2019 cars don't. As far as I know, there are no part number differences between 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 rear and front shocks. Only 2015-2016 had different shock part numbers (of course, since no AVS)

Quick Reply: Blown Shock