RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Blown Shock

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-21, 08:27 PM
3ISRC
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Blown Shock

I just got my car a week ago with 11k miles and noticed oil leak on rear driver side. I suspect it’s the shock leaking and also found some oil residue in the shock bottom tubing. Luckily I have one month left on the basic warranty and should be covered right? I’m calling my Lexus service guy tomorrow. Is this a common issue for the rc F? Seems odd to fail so early. It’s a 2017 btw.
Old 05-02-21, 08:40 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,788 Posts

No. it is not common at all. Most likely, previous owner had some lowering springs on it, which is a common cause of blown shocks. Have the dealership replace the shock. Did you check if you have OEM springs? I am sure they will replace it especially since it has AVS so the suspension will have to be recalibrated once the shock is installed.
The following users liked this post:
3ISRC (05-02-21)
Old 05-02-21, 08:49 PM
3ISRC
Intermediate

Yea the car is on stock springs. I doubt it was ever lowered. I’m glad I asked. I did not know it had to be recalibrated. Do I have to request this or they should already know to do so? Any concerns if they only replace the one shock that’s leaking? I know many always recommend do them in pairs but I doubt they will cover the other side that’s not leaking.
Old 05-02-21, 09:19 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 3ISRC
Yea the car is on stock springs. I doubt it was ever lowered. I’m glad I asked. I did not know it had to be recalibrated. Do I have to request this or they should already know to do so? Any concerns if they only replace the one shock that’s leaking? I know many always recommend do them in pairs but I doubt they will cover the other side that’s not leaking.
I don't think there should be any concerns replacing it as they will put another OEM AVS shock in. I don't think need to replace the other one. Just try replacing the blown one first and see how it goes. The dealership should as per standard process recalibrate the AVS shocks for you, but you can ask them to make sure it is initialized/calibrated. Make sure they align the car as well.

Good thing I remember a thread where someone had an AVS shock replaced and he said the car became too harsh and extremely shift. After much argument with the dealership, they eventually realized they did not recalibrate the AVS shocks.

Edit: Found the thread. You can see the problem of harsh/too stiff suspension got resolved via recalibration.

Anyone had this suspension issue? - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

"2. The fix was simply to do a "system initialization." Apparently whenever they replace a shock, wiring harness and actuator connector, etc, they should do a system initialization to re-calibrate the suspension. Because that hadn't been done (learning curve for the techs) the ride felt like an Abrams tank.

Happy New Year all!"
3ISRC (05-02-21)
Old 05-02-21, 09:28 PM
3ISRC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I don't think there should be any concerns replacing it as they will put another OEM AVS shock in. I don't think need to replace the other one. Just try replacing the blown one first and see how it goes. The dealership should as per standard process recalibrate the AVS shocks for you, but you can ask them to make sure it is initialized/calibrated. Make sure they align the car as well.

Good thing I remember a thread where someone had an AVS shock replaced and he said the car became too harsh and extremely shift. After much argument with the dealership, they eventually realized they did not recalibrate the AVS shocks.

Edit: Found the thread. You can see the problem of harsh/too stiff suspension got resolved via recalibration.

Anyone had this suspension issue? - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

"2. The fix was simply to do a "system initialization." Apparently whenever they replace a shock, wiring harness and actuator connector, etc, they should do a system initialization to re-calibrate the suspension. Because that hadn't been done (learning curve for the techs) the ride felt like an Abrams tank.

Happy New Year all!"

Yea I found that thread as soon as you mentioned about the AVS calibration lol. Thanks, I’ll update once it is fixed. I’ll make sure they do an alignment, almost forgot about that. I assume that should be covered as well right, since they are replacing a suspension part.
Old 05-02-21, 09:52 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Yea I found that thread as soon as you mentioned about the AVS calibration lol. Thanks, I’ll update once it is fixed. I’ll make sure they do an alignment, almost forgot about that. I assume that should be covered as well right, since they are replacing a suspension part.
Yes, I would believe they should cover the warranty as part of the replacement procedure.
3ISRC (05-02-21)
Old 05-03-21, 04:26 AM
AlexAviles
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 81 Posts

It’s not common as far as I know but manufacturer defects do happen. This seems like premature failure. A dealer won’t want to replace both but you should definitely ask. You won’t know unless you check it out yourself but is there a chance the car could have taken a massive pothole hit to blow a seal? Some debris on the stanchion could possibly create a seal tear too. What year is it?
Old 05-03-21, 07:31 AM
Ab175
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

I had the exact same issue but on the rear passenger side. Took it to the dealer and they replaced it with no problem. Should be covered under your basic bumper-to-bumper warranty. Honestly, of the 3 RC F's that were for sale in Houston when I was shopping, on the Carfax or Lexus service history, each one had shown that a blown shock was either replaced or needed to be replaced, so I think it is common in certain road conditions. I am expecting my shocks to go again at some point, just hoping that it's a long time from now. Regardless, Good Luck! Hopefully, the dealer takes care of you.
Old 05-03-21, 07:44 AM
3ISRC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ab175
I had the exact same issue but on the rear passenger side. Took it to the dealer and they replaced it with no problem. Should be covered under your basic bumper-to-bumper warranty. Honestly, of the 3 RC F's that were for sale in Houston when I was shopping, on the Carfax or Lexus service history, each one had shown that a blown shock was either replaced or needed to be replaced, so I think it is common in certain road conditions. I am expecting my shocks to go again at some point, just hoping that it's a long time from now. Regardless, Good Luck! Hopefully, the dealer takes care of you.
Yea when I was shopping around I noticed 2 from Texas had their shock replaced as shown on carfax service history. I got this car from Texas as well, so it must be the roads there haha.
Ab175 (05-03-21)
Old 05-03-21, 09:00 AM
3ISRC
Intermediate

I was able to schedule to car in this coming Wednesday. Come to find out my basic warranty expires much sooner and it expires on Wednesday. I’m glad I found the issue before it expired. If my service guy writes up the claim on the day the warranty expires it should still be covered correct? Meaning the expiration day is still covered and actually expires the next day. Or I am understanding this wrong?
Old 05-03-21, 09:05 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I think it should be covered. Lexus is pretty good about it.

I was able to schedule to car in this coming Wednesday. Come to find out my basic warranty expires much sooner and it expires on Wednesday. I’m glad I found the issue before it expired. If my service guy writes up the claim on the day the warranty expires it should still be covered correct? Meaning the expiration day is still covered and actually expires the next day. Or I am understanding this wrong?
3ISRC (05-03-21)
Old 05-03-21, 09:09 AM
3ISRC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Yeah, I think it should be covered. Lexus is pretty good about it.
Yea they’ve always been great when it comes to warranty issues. My last warranty work was a major oil leak they found on my RX which they covered, would have been $4000 job. I just hope the shock is in stock so I don’t have to make 2 trips. But since it’s a F I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s not.
05RollaXRS (05-03-21)
Old 05-03-21, 09:14 AM
Ab175
Intermediate

Lol my cars warranty expires on this coming Thursday. Looks like our cars were originally purchased at almost exactly the same time.
Old 05-03-21, 09:18 AM
3ISRC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ab175
Lol my cars warranty expires on this coming Thursday. Looks like our cars were originally purchased at almost exactly the same time.
Lol that is funny. Don’t tell me it was also from Lexus of Lakeway? And did you already inspect your car to make sure there’s nothing needed to be fixed before it expires this week 😃?
Old 05-03-21, 09:22 AM
Ab175
Intermediate

Lol that is funny. Don’t tell me it was also from Lexus of Lakeway? And did you already inspect your car to make sure there’s nothing needed to be fixed before it expires this week 😃?
It was from Northside Lexus in Houston, so not Lexus of Lakeway, however, I am very familiar with that dealership as well haha. As far as inspection, I had the battery replaced under warranty last week, if the battery in your car has never been replaced, it's worth asking them to test the battery, and if it fails you get a new one for free. Besides that, I cannot really think of anything else that is broken or needs replacing. Car drives great.
3ISRC (05-03-21)

Quick Reply: Blown Shock