RCF Sunroof Problem.. Knock

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-21, 01:48 AM
USC10
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCF Sunroof Problem.. Knock

Hi guys

If you don't know me I'm Luke and just made the introduction on the relevant thread. I wanted to know if you guys can help me out, maybe the OG's here have some expierience with my case.

So my RCF has the sunroof option. You can ride with the car normaly, either in closed or extended sunroof, all good. But when you try to overcome, slowly, a speed bump or a bumpy surface at a certain point it makes a loud knock noise. It does it once and loud and comes from the rear right zone headliner area.

I can provoke it best when i overcome the bump with only one side of the car. For sure the noise is created by the chassis flex, and without having dismantled everything I think it could be a broken guide or some issue on of the roof rail causing this absolute pain in the **** noise.

So anybody ever expierienced something like that? if yes, I would be happy about any intel i can get.

Cheers and enjoy your rides!

btw car has 44k miles!

Last edited by USC10; 05-04-21 at 01:50 AM. Reason: forgot to note the miles
Old 05-04-21, 02:01 AM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by USC10
Hi guys

If you don't know me I'm Luke and just made the introduction on the relevant thread. I wanted to know if you guys can help me out, maybe the OG's here have some expierience with my case.

So my RCF has the sunroof option. You can ride with the car normaly, either in closed or extended sunroof, all good. But when you try to overcome, slowly, a speed bump or a bumpy surface at a certain point it makes a loud knock noise. It does it once and loud and comes from the rear right zone headliner area.

I can provoke it best when i overcome the bump with only one side of the car. For sure the noise is created by the chassis flex, and without having dismantled everything I think it could be a broken guide or some issue on of the roof rail causing this absolute pain in the **** noise.

So anybody ever expierienced something like that? if yes, I would be happy about any intel i can get.

Cheers and enjoy your rides!

btw car has 44k miles!
There is an informative video on youtube titled ‘GSF sunroof clunk fix’ by Bullets Garage.

Each of my Lexus vehicles so far have had to have sunroof repairs under warranty done. My NX 200t now has developed the dreaded sunroof clunk and its out of warranty.
Old 05-04-21, 03:29 AM
USC10
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advise. Somehow it is simply not understandable how this gasket can mimic this sound, just crazy. Somehow i think the noise my RC's doing is a bit more violent. I'll try to remove the glass roof part and hit a bump.

If the knock/clunk is gone i'll kiss a dog!

I hope you can sort out the problem on your NX, despite being out of warranty.
Old 05-04-21, 09:12 AM
je32188
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the similar one big clunk when going over a bump/chassis flex situation, and the dealer replaced the track mechanism under warranty. The other annoying noise it can make is the little rattling when going over uneven pavement, and that one's the gasket.
Old 05-04-21, 01:55 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 545 Likes on 361 Posts

I have the same issue. Thought it was the rubber liner around the sunroof as well. Replaced it and it still rattles. I had to put foam and felt under the exposed rail to minimize the noise but it still happens over really rough roads.

My wife’s ILX with sunroof does not creak and rattle. Unfortunate. I should have waited for the CF roof option.

Any other ideas to resolve this I am open to it. 🤣
Old 05-04-21, 02:12 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I think there are 2 issues that have different causes.

The clunk is a loud solid noise like someone has tapped the sunroof with a hammer.

The rattle I think.comes from the sliding sun blocker not the sunroof. I noticed this from when I picked up the car. The sun blocker does not retract all the way back when you open the roof and can vibrate.

I find that pushing the blocker all the way back stops the rattle 90% of the time. Doesn’t tend to work if the car has been sitting in the sun all day on a very hot day,
The following users liked this post:
Yri (05-04-21)