RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-21, 07:33 PM
Ab175
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Brakes

R1 concepts is having a 25% off sale right now.

https://www.r1concepts.com/detail_catalog/index/r1-carbon-geomet-Series_eLINE-Series/ref=LEXUS+RC_F+2017+All+Front_and_Rear+Slotted_Rotor+silver+++

What do Y'all think of these? I have heard good things from other F owners, and they are about half the cost of the OEM rotors.
Old 05-05-21, 07:37 PM
Ab175
Intermediate

I was told by two places that the rotors MUST be replaced every time the pads are replaced, so I am trying to figure out my options. OEM pads seem to be many times more expensive than aftermarket options such as the powerstop z26 etc. I don't brake super hard so a minor decrease in performance is perfectly fine with me. Can anyone comment what brake setups they are running if not OEM?
Old 05-05-21, 08:45 PM
3ISRC
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Ab175
I was told by two places that the rotors MUST be replaced every time the pads are replaced, so I am trying to figure out my options. OEM pads seem to be many times more expensive than aftermarket options such as the powerstop z26 etc. I don't brake super hard so a minor decrease in performance is perfectly fine with me. Can anyone comment what brake setups they are running if not OEM?
Wow is this true? Rotors replaced every pad replacement?
Old 05-06-21, 06:10 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 772 Likes on 481 Posts
Arrow

This would make sense if the thickness thresh hold for the rotors have surpassed their life. IE: You've worn down the pads and then when measuring the thickness of the rotors it would be below what the recommended spec is then that makes sense. But I've never heard or done this with my cars. Normally I get around two pad changes. IE: First time changing pads to new the rotors have more than enough life. After the second pads get worn out check thickness of rotors again. More than likely at this point I replace the rotors..

This is all completely dependent on how you brake and the conditions. I got close to 70k miles on my brembo rotors on my STi, and that went through 2 pad changes. I've had cars where brakes last 25k miles...etc.

I would say under normal condition and most people would NOT have to replace the rotors when they change pads.

My vote is going two piece rotors. This is a heavy car. Putting two piece rotors on will shed almost 30lbs of spinning weight which you'll notice and feel when driving. Hell I can't wait till my rotors wear out so I can put on RR racing (Giro discs).

-Nigel
Old 05-06-21, 08:42 AM
Ab175
Intermediate

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...3k-mile-2.html

Seems like this is typical behavior from the dealership.
Old 05-06-21, 08:51 AM
Ab175
Intermediate

Alright so I have come to the conclusion pretty quick that my rotors likely do not need replacing, however, I will confirm by measuring the rotors soon. Now the question is brake pads. I have very little knowledge of pads and the hardware that is required to go with it.

Amazon.com: Power Stop Z26-1440, Z26 Street Warrior Front Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads with Hardware: Automotive Amazon.com: Power Stop Z26-1440, Z26 Street Warrior Front Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads with Hardware: Automotive

These pads were recommended to me by another RC F owner. They are much cheaper than OEM, however, they do not come with wear sensors as far as I can tell and tbh I have no idea where to get them or what sensors I need.
Old 05-06-21, 11:10 AM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 345 Likes on 227 Posts

You can reuse the sensors if the Brake light has not come on. You can buy the sensors from Lexus or I think they can also be purchased much cheaper in the aftermarket, but not a factory Lexus part.
Old 05-22-21, 04:49 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

About a year and half ago I changed my front brake pads on my own. I ordered the PowerStop Z23-1440 from RockAuto.com for $42.xx for the front pair of pads with "hardware". It did NOT include the brake sensors. I RE-used my OLD OEM brake sensors and it worked fine. I ordered many other parts for my other vehicles so the "shipping cost" was minimized. I see your link for Amazon included "free shipping" but at a little bit higher cost (but different Z26 pads). When I ordered mine....... RockAuto did not have the Z26.

I measured the front rotors and they were still within specs so I did not change the front rotors.

Just be very careful not to damage the OEM brake sensors when you remove them AND subsequently reinstall onto the new pads. Removing is easier vs putting on due to the very tight tolerances. I heard with some other aftermarket pads the OEM brake sensors may not fit correctly? It fit my new Z23 pads without any problems. If you damage the OEM brake sensors, your local Lexus dealership will be very happy to sell you new ones at around $75 EACH! Or order from RockAuto for around $8 each. I order one for front and one for rear just in case. I have not gotten around replacing my rear pads bc they were still good. Maybe later this summer?

Performance wise.......I DO NOTICE a slight difference. I don't track my RCF. Just mostly highway driving. So for me no problems. I suppose under tracking conditions or VERY SPIRITED CANYON/MOUNTAIN driving with REPEATED hard braking there will be a BIG difference.

All parts were ordered from RockAuto.com
They do charge for shipping. But I usually order other stuff like oil filters, air filters, cabin air filters, windshield wipers, and etc. So the shipping cost is minimized.

Please see attached pics of my front brake pads change.

The wire at the right is the OEM brake sensors.

Top are the new pads. Bottom are the old OEM pads.

Top are the new pads. Bottom are the old OEM pads.

New pads.

The above credit to CL member Davew77

The above credit to CL member Davew77

New brake sensor just in case I damage my OEM brake sensor. I did not have to use the new brake sensor. I used the OEM brake sensor.

Incidentally, several years ago I was in the New Orleans area with my RCF and had some minor curb rash damage on my wheels. So I dropped off my RCF at the New Orleans Lexus dealership when I flew back home to SoCal to have my wheels repaired under my optional Lexus tire and wheel warranty. The New Orleans Lexus dealership called me a day later to tell me that ALL my brake pads were needing urgent replacement to the tune of some $4500!! I declined and told them just to repair my wheels under my optional tire and wheel Lexus warranty which is good nation wide. A week later I flew back to New Orleans to pick up my RCF. They gave me some lame excuse about not able to fix my wheels (I guess it's bc I turned their $4500 brake job down!!) I asked for an official print out showing my pads thickness. Since I was busy and did not have the time to check my brake pads.......I just continued driving. I figured when I trip the brake sensors, then I will know. Haha. I continued driving for some two years later and some 30K miles later WITHOUT tripping the brake sensors!!! Then I took my RCF for the 60K spark plugs and other routine service at my trusted Longo Lexus since we moved to SoCal back in 2000's. I asked Longo Lexus about my brake pads and they measured them..... They were STILL ABOVE minimum specs!! So the New Orleans Lexus dealership was not honest!! This is the SAME LEXUS DEALERSHIP back when I was buying a brand new 2000 LX470 and they turned me down for a test drive. They had TWO LX470 on the lot at the time. I was told the two LX470 on the lot were SOLD already. Maybe so. Needless to say I bought the LX470 later on from another Lexus in south Florida and they literally had 20 LX470 on the lot to choose from!!

Alright so I have come to the conclusion pretty quick that my rotors likely do not need replacing, however, I will confirm by measuring the rotors soon. Now the question is brake pads. I have very little knowledge of pads and the hardware that is required to go with it.

Amazon.com: Power Stop Z26-1440, Z26 Street Warrior Front Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads with Hardware: Automotive

These pads were recommended to me by another RC F owner. They are much cheaper than OEM, however, they do not come with wear sensors as far as I can tell and tbh I have no idea where to get them or what sensors I need.

Last edited by lexusrus; 05-22-21 at 05:38 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by lexusrus:
Ab175 (05-22-21), Yri (05-22-21)
Old 05-22-21, 09:24 AM
Ab175
Intermediate

@lexusrus

Wow thanks for the detailed write up. There was a lot of helpful information in there! I appreciate your response I definitely learned a thing or two.
Old 05-22-21, 11:26 AM
buister
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Amazon.com: Power Stop Z26-1440, Z26 Street Warrior Front Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads with Hardware: Automotive

The kit should come with new pins and clips. That's all you need ... and the pads, of course. Some even give you a little pack of grease.
Old 05-22-21, 12:07 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Nope, the brake sensors not included unless you buy OEM.

Yes, you can use the old OEM brake sensors. I did.

Originally Posted by buister
The kit should come with new pins and clips. That's all you need ... and the pads, of course. Some even give you a little pack of grease.
Old 05-22-21, 07:58 PM
buister
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Nope, the brake sensors not included unless you buy OEM.

Yes, you can use the old OEM brake sensors. I did.
Hmm. Did I say sensors included?
Old 05-24-21, 01:00 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Technically no you did not.

And not my intention to accuse you of anything.

But I just wanted to point out that no brake sensors are included in the aftermarket pads bc that "was NOT ALL YOU NEEDED". Making sure people will know that before going in to do the brakes.
​​​​​​

Originally Posted by buister
Hmm. Did I say sensors included?
Old 05-26-21, 03:43 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

I just had my brakes done on my RCF and I used OEM Brembo rotors (purchased through a Brembo dealer) and I purchased Endless MX72 brake
pads (front and rear)

The difference is night and day for me. The initial bite is immediate and no squealing.

I would not cheap out of rotors as the RCF is a very heavy car and will generate significant heat while braking. Last thing you want are warped rotors.
Old 05-26-21, 09:52 PM
Ab175
Intermediate

Originally Posted by brendanf
I just had my brakes done on my RCF and I used OEM Brembo rotors (purchased through a Brembo dealer) and I purchased Endless MX72 brake
pads (front and rear)

The difference is night and day for me. The initial bite is immediate and no squealing.

I would not cheap out of rotors as the RCF is a very heavy car and will generate significant heat while braking. Last thing you want are warped rotors.
Thanks for the tip

Quick Reply: Brakes