RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

How well does a stock RCF handle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-21, 02:46 PM
CK9887
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

As a previous owner of 3 Corvettes, an IS-F and a Viper, the RCF handles very well for what it is...Yes, the car is heavy. Yes, if you push it too hard on an AutoX or track, the car will exhibit understeer. That being said, I doubt you'd ever find those limits on the street. Track driving and street driving are apples and oranges. Unless you plan on doing numerous track weekends a year, I think the RCF will more than impress you and I'm also willing to bet it exhibits less understeer than the Audi S5 you mentioned, considering those are front heavy and AWD.
The following 4 users liked this post by CK9887:
05RollaXRS (06-16-21), chris07is (06-16-21), sqlboy2000 (06-16-21), Yri (06-16-21)
Old 06-16-21, 04:53 PM
Ab175
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

I think the RC F handles fairly competently as far as street driving is concerned. I know that for the 2017+ models with AVS, I find that the eco/normal/sport drive modes have a fairly substantial amount of body roll for my taste, but sport plus eliminates this as it stiffens the ride. Cannot comment on the 2015/16 models, however, many people have sung praise for the suspension tuning on these earlier RC F's as being perfect as far as one setting suspensions are concerned. Mine is a 2017 so, for spirited driving, sport plus is really the best place to be as it takes care of most of the boaty and heavy feeling I get in the less aggressive drive modes. I have pushed the car pretty hard on the street, and have never experienced any significant understeer (but lots of oversteer lol). Overall, as far as street driving is concerned, in my opinion, the RC F is set up beautifully, it properly balances not riding like a clapped out **** box and being a sports car. As others have mentioned the TVD being present on the car may affect the handling characteristics, however, my observations are based on a car only equipped with the Torsen LSD. I feel that people often forget to mention the suspension changes made for the 2017 and newer models but it is worth testing both suspension setups and seeing what works for you. As far as TVD vs LSD this has been debated many times and really it just becomes a personal preference as to what feels better to you. I liked the Torsen LSD. Realistically, a test drive is your best bet to properly assess the RC F's handling characteristics.
The following users liked this post:
Yri (06-16-21)
Old 06-16-21, 06:30 PM
DenSmith
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

The RCF will put a permanent grin on your face, sometimes from 0- whatever, but most of the time from 40 or 60mph to 140 plus (or for those without access to nice open roads something else). If you are buying a weekend car and handling is what you want, a BMW 3 series coupe is going to handle more nimbly, so will an Audi S anything, or a Porsche, and Corvettes if they don't get too squirly from heavy foot. I know I love my RCF, but if your aim is handling, this is a GT car, a sophisticated Japanese marvel, a sledge hammer meant to be opened up and go fast. I like heavier cars sometimes because they go over bumps with authority, probably the #1 characteristic I like about Mercedes SL 500 and 550, they OWN the road and don't shimmy like a Vetter or Mustang/Camaro. Anyway, if slalom driving is the joy you seek, I would recommend, hmm, probably a used Porsche Cayman or turbo BMW/Audi, the RCF joy is the thundering V8 opening up on a long stretch of smooth road.

I did re-read your original post, it will be much better than a GS 350, if that is the bar, it will surpass that easily.

Last edited by DenSmith; 06-16-21 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-16-21, 06:48 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,778 Posts

Originally Posted by DenSmith
T If you are buying a weekend car and handling is what you want, a BMW 3 series coupe is going to handle more nimbly, so will an Audi S anything, or a Porsche, and Corvettes if they don't get too squirly from heavy foot. I know I love my RCF, but if your aim is handling,.
The OP never came back to respond so it is always annoying when the person creates the thread while people waste their time providing input while splitting hairs over it.

Anyway, definitely you mean an M3/M4 or the newest gen B9 RS5. They are better performers for sure. Not to mince any words, a regular 335i/340i or S4/S5 are not in the same class and would not come close objectively to the RCF in terms of handling or ability to go fast around a race track. There was a guy in a loud modded 335i with that popcorn tune trying to mess with me a while back and there was nothing he had for me in the turns or in the straights. Felt like it was making a lot popping and crackling noises and not going anywhere.

There was even a comparison with the B9 RS5. In summary, they liked the RCF chassis/suspension, more engaging high-revving N/A engine response/noise, but the RS5 won with the turbo torque, faster acceleration and as a better overall grand tourer. Oddly, they found RCF to be harsh in sport+

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 06-16-21 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-16-21, 06:58 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
The OP never came back to respond so it is always annoying when the person creates the thread while people waste their time providing input while splitting hairs over it.
Thread was just started this morning and he has responded in it once already... I'd suggest it's probably a bit premature to label this remotely 'annoying'
The following 4 users liked this post by DaveGS4:
05RollaXRS (06-16-21), AsianxWu (06-16-21), CinFulxgs (06-16-21), Yri (06-16-21)
Old 06-16-21, 08:18 PM
DenSmith
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Anyway, definitely you mean an M3/M4 or the newest gen B9 RS5. They are better performers for sure. Not to mince any words, a regular 335i/340i or S4/S5 are not in the same class and would not come close objectively to the RCF in terms of handling or ability to go fast around a race track. There was a guy in a loud modded 335i with that popcorn tune trying to mess with me a while back and there was nothing he had for me in the turns or in the straights. Felt like it was making a lot popping and crackling noises and not going anywhere.

There was even a comparison with the B9 RS5. In summary, they liked the RCF chassis/suspension, more engaging high-revving N/A engine response/noise, but the RS5 won with the turbo torque, faster acceleration and as a better overall grand tourer. Oddly, they found RCF to be harsh in sport+

Lexus RC F Track Pack vs Ford Mustang GT | PistonHeads - YouTube

​Audi RS5 vs Lexus RC F​ | better than a BMW M4 or Mercedes-AMG C63? | Autocar - YouTube
I understand what you are saying on a track, but for me, the turbo 3 series, 4 series, smaller sized turbo Audis "feel" more nimble on the streets, not the track, and if that feel is what one is after, avoiding any hint of boat-i-ness, they offer that "feeling". In the hands of a professional driver on a race track, the RCF would probably horsepower it's way around the track much faster, but in the hands of mere mortals on normal streets, I think these cars would "fee" more nimble.
Old 06-16-21, 08:21 PM
AsianxWu
Driver

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I appreciate everybody's input!

It looks like I really just need to find a 2017+ RCF and test drive it for myself. I do plan on autocrossing and tracking it a few times a year so it does help with my decision if it does well in those aspects, but I know I will just be driving it on the street most of the time, so that's where I value it the most.

The RCF will put a permanent grin on your face, sometimes from 0- whatever, but most of the time from 40 or 60mph to 140 plus (or for those without access to nice open roads something else). If you are buying a weekend car and handling is what you want, a BMW 3 series coupe is going to handle more nimbly, so will an Audi S anything, or a Porsche, and Corvettes if they don't get too squirly from heavy foot. I know I love my RCF, but if your aim is handling, this is a GT car, a sophisticated Japanese marvel, a sledge hammer meant to be opened up and go fast. I like heavier cars sometimes because they go over bumps with authority, probably the #1 characteristic I like about Mercedes SL 500 and 550, they OWN the road and don't shimmy like a Vetter or Mustang/Camaro. Anyway, if slalom driving is the joy you seek, I would recommend, hmm, probably a used Porsche Cayman or turbo BMW/Audi, the RCF joy is the thundering V8 opening up on a long stretch of smooth road.

I did re-read your original post, it will be much better than a GS 350, if that is the bar, it will surpass that easily.
I did look into a used Cayman, but I just really want a V8 haha. If I could get one with the 4.0L H6, that might be another story though... Haha

The "boaty" analogy has little do with the weight. I have driven many IS/GS and even the RC350 F-Sport. I owned quite a few Lexus cars. "Boatiness" speaks to the flimsiness in the chassis, lack of steering response and/or suspension softness as well as the sheer size of the car.
I guess "Boaty" was not the right word to describe it, although it is boaty. I should really have said I don't want something that feels heavy. I'm looking for something that feels light and nimble. Although, I don't think light, nimble, and V8 usually go together.
DenSmith (06-16-21)
Old 06-16-21, 08:27 PM
AsianxWu
Driver

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I understand what you are saying on a track, but for me, the turbo 3 series, 4 series, smaller sized turbo Audis "feel" more nimble on the streets, not the track, and if that feel is what one is after, avoiding any hint of boat-i-ness, they offer that "feeling". In the hands of a professional driver on a race track, the RCF would probably horsepower it's way around the track much faster, but in the hands of mere mortals on normal streets, I think these cars would "fee" more nimble.
This is exactly what I was trying to say haha.
I don't care all that much about numbers or lap times. I just wanted a V8 that feels nimble on the streets.

For example, the B8.5 S5 weighs about the same as the RCF (and my GS350), and I'm sure it has slower lap times than the RCF and doesn't perform as well, but I really enjoyed now nimble and light it felt on the street (even though it weighs around 4000 lbs).
The following 2 users liked this post by AsianxWu:
05RollaXRS (06-16-21), DenSmith (06-16-21)
Old 06-16-21, 08:41 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AsianxWu
I appreciate everybody's input!

It looks like I really just need to find a 2017+ RCF and test drive it for myself. I do plan on autocrossing and tracking it a few times a year so it does help with my decision if it does well in those aspects, but I know I will just be driving it on the street most of the time, so that's where I value it the most.
The 2017+ RCF AVS offers more flexibility as it is soft in ECO/NORMAL/SPORT. It dials up to full stiffness in SPORT+ mode. Even in SPORT+, it is always adapting to the surface condition for driving aggression and smoothness (30 way adjustment). The 2015 - 2016 is always stiff so while it is choppy and harsh on bad roads, it is predictable always. Anyway, 2017+ AVS is a great choice if you want to be able to soften it up. However, either you need to go to SPORT+ for full stiffness or ECO/NORMAL/SPORT mode will be more focused on compliance.

I would recommend, just skip all of the modes and go to SPORT+ and put it in manual (when fully warmed up). If the car has the optional TVD, select the SLALOM mode. SLALOM mode is focused on max maneuverability/steering response around tight turns. Downshift a lot as the gearing is long so you want to be above 5500 rpm in rolling accelerations. However, the downshift sounds are amazing. Still, RCF needs a full exhaust for the full V8 experience. Also, keep in mind, RCF hides speed very well. 90 mph feels like 40 mph because the chassis can handle a lot more power, which is why it might not "feel" that fast, but when you look at the speedo you will see how fast you are going.

Also, if you are very particular about handling and want to buy the RCF, you might want to look for CF roof RCF. Moonroof are the most common ones, but it adds a lot of weight and complexity right at the top of the car creating a pendulum effect under high speed maneuvering. If you can find the carbon fiber roof, it will be around 40 - 45 lbs lighter right at the top with the moon roof with some added rigidity. On the other side, the steel roof is around 16 lbs heavier at the topmost section of the car than the CF roof.

I guess "Boaty" was not the right word to describe it, although it is boaty. I should really have said I don't want something that feels heavy. I'm looking for something that feels light and nimble. Although, I don't think light, nimble, and V8 usually go together.
As everyone said, it definitely won't feel light and small like a A90 Supra. It is the same way an E46 M3 would feel much lighter/tossable than a G80 M3. It feels quite short as you sit close to the rear axle with long hood in front of you, but wide in the back. I have to be careful around curbs etc. If you take the turns at very high speeds, you will feel the weight because it is simple physics. Inertia exerting centrifugal force is directly proportional to the weight. However, the weight works very well with the car in how the CoG is low with the low roofline and the body control/chassis etc.are all well sorted so it really contribute to making it easy to push the car hard without feeling like it will do something unpredictable. You can do minor/cheap mods like the bushings for the lower control arm to make it feel stiffer with more road-feel

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 06-17-21 at 04:05 AM.
Yri (06-17-21)
Old 06-16-21, 10:56 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 545 Likes on 361 Posts

I like my RCF. Not the best handling car I’ve owned but it does a lot of things REALLY well. I guess you have to prioritize what’s more important to you…handling, the V8, and everyday livability. Find out what that is and it’ll be apparent what best suits you from the choices mentioned on this thread.

Also…no mention on an E92 M3? V8 and close to 50:50 weight? I know rod bearings and throttle actuators….but who cares about reliability right? 🤣
DenSmith (06-17-21)
Old 06-17-21, 12:50 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts

[QUOTE=cvt;11071414]I like my RCF. Not the best handling car I’ve owned but it does a lot of things REALLY well. I guess you have to prioritize what’s more important to you…handling, the V8, and everyday livability. Find out what that is and it’ll be apparent what best suits you from the choices mentioned on this thread.

Exactly what trying to say…for me, reliability, v8, rarity…not really care about infotainment, etc.
cvt (06-17-21)
Old 06-17-21, 06:31 AM
Yri
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by AsianxWu
This is exactly what I was trying to say haha.
I don't care all that much about numbers or lap times. I just wanted a V8 that feels nimble on the streets.

For example, the B8.5 S5 weighs about the same as the RCF (and my GS350), and I'm sure it has slower lap times than the RCF and doesn't perform as well, but I really enjoyed now nimble and light it felt on the street (even though it weighs around 4000 lbs).
Also, remember one thing. The B8/B8.5/B9 S4's and S5's are probably not that great on a track. Sure, they might be slower, who cares, but the real issue is how it deals with trackday performance as in general system cooling. The RC F has an air-to-oil engine oil cooler and an air-to-oil transmission oil cooler. Both do a fantastic job at keeping the car cool on track, mostly what to worry about there is the tires and the brake pads. Once you change those, it becomes a (very heavy) track car. It will take the abuse quite well. I don't quite know too much about the S4 and S5 so I can't say too much, but I know the stock engine oil cooler and transmission oil cooler are both coolant-to-oil, which is much lower performance and I would suspect on a hot day on the track, the temps wouldn't be liking it too much.
Old 06-17-21, 06:54 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cvt
I

Also…no mention on an E92 M3? V8 and close to 50:50 weight? I know rod bearings and throttle actuators….but who cares about reliability right? 🤣
I have a lot seat time in the E90 M3 sedan with 6 speed manual so I will "try" to sound objective. It was the car of my choice and was this close to purchasing one in 2015 - 2016 before I decided to wait for the right RCF to come along to purchase (and up my budget by $20+ K more). There were even pictures of RCF camouflaged mule with E92 M3 competition and ISF lapping the Nürburgring as Lexus was benchmarking it against that car.

The E90 M3 with DCT is around 300 lbs lighter with around a 51/49 weight distribution compared to 53/47 for my TVD RCF so you are right on the weight dist. But, my main reason was my fetish with the E90 M3 was for 8000+ rpm in a V8 as I always been a big high-revving fan back from my 2ZZ-GE days. Stock vs stock, the E90 M3 sounds better due to more exhaust noise stock. RCF stock is all intake induction. However, over the years, it has completely changed my views on the 2UR vs S65 engines. Redline aside, the RCF 2UR is so much better as an engine in almost every other way. Feels much more powerful everywhere in the rev range, which is opposite to the S65 V8 that feels lethargic/lifeless until you really stand on the gas pedal. Even when going all-out, it did not particularly feel faster than the E90 335i I drove it back to back with. I was surprised that almost the 335i "felt" faster than the E90 M3 both with 6 speed manual despite the 100 more HP on the M3. However, I was so smitten by the 8000+ rpm redline, I tried to put that out of my mind for the "specialness". The M-DCT might have felt better, but I never considered it because of the issues people were having with it including lag/response issues.

Once I put a full exhaust on the RCF, intake, tires and also the AFE V3 sprintbooster, it became a total beast that screams and shoots forward every time I tap on the throttle. The 2UR is a gem to own especially with a few small mods. There is that sense of how fast you are reeling things in front. Then there is the interior, seats, exterior, platform/chassis from the mid-2000s etc. in the E9X M3. The engine is still mesmerizing for its very high redline.

As a matter of fact, when I stepped into the RCF to test drive it, I told the seller (who used to be a member on this board), "this car needs to beat my benchmark, which is the E90 M3". When I got out, I told the seller "it is so much better than the E90 M3 and feels much faster".

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 06-18-21 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-17-21, 08:29 AM
cvt
Racer

Received 545 Likes on 361 Posts

Also to the OP, try not to get too obsessed with magazine numbers. There are fast cars that feel slow and numb and there are slow cars that feel very involving and exciting. I’m sure when you test drive you’ll know what you want. Happy hunting!
Old 06-17-21, 09:04 AM
AlexAviles
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 81 Posts

Camaro or RCF? How is that a question? 😆 I don’t know how you’ll find one for the same price as a Camaro but if you do buy the **** out of it right away.
I am a car an motorcycle enthusiast, and for someone who has an affinity for things that are unique, I would say this car gets all the points for this segment. As far as handling, the car is familiar, but better, than your typical high horse American muscle. The handling is great but where it lacks is that it’s steering feel is vague from the soft bushings and the car seems to track groves in pavement on the stock tires. But, big but, there are small upgrades that can make this car handle much better, quite easily and most owners with a set of wrenches make these adjustments themselves. (I think lexus went a little on the comfort side thinking people would tune them more but the market for people tuning 90k cars isn’t what they thought it would be. Hence the new gr86 practically being a mini RCF now)
The RCF is just now starting to get attention from reviewers but all of the early reviews were negatively influenced by Clarksons terrible review of the F saying there’s not enough LFA dna in it. I mean who is going to disagree with him? It never really got a fair shake which leads to another downside; no one knows what it is. I can go to car shows, be the only one there in a RCF with thousands of cars and maybe a handful of people know the difference between a F car and a F Sport car. All in all I am very happy owning an RCF and think you would be too.
The following 2 users liked this post by AlexAviles:
05RollaXRS (06-17-21), Yri (06-17-21)

Quick Reply: How well does a stock RCF handle?