RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Changing sparkplugs

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-21, 03:13 PM
jmorgan
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

All, just got done doing my plugs....you poor bastards!! It was like giving a rabid squirrel a 5-finger prostate exam.

Started on the passenger side. Not too terrible. Have to remove battery. Got that side and promptly dropped the batter hold down rod INTO the engine....it's gone. Sandwiched somewhere between oil pan and bottom covers.

Driver side.....my neighbors learned some new cuss words. Made dogs bark and women and children were crying as they walked by. Driver's side by the firewall? Yeah, almost threw in the towel, but I was 4 hours into it....4th down, one yard to go. Two shots of bourbon to gather up the courage. Left hand got stuck.....like, I need to call my wife out got stuck. I have big hands. Contemplated grabbing the bolt cutters to take a few fingers off. Had to spray hand with lube. F-me.

Never again.....

Car idles amazing ....super smooth. Old plugs had gaps of varying amounts at 58k miles. Back hurts so bad that I may have to sleep here in the driver's seat. Can't stand up or get out right now. Damn squirrel
The following 4 users liked this post by jmorgan:
adreano17 (02-25-22), DreDilla (09-05-21), mistermatt (08-15-21), Yri (08-15-21)
Old 08-15-21, 05:52 PM
badboylex
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks I have big hotdog fingers to I want be doing that job.Lol
Old 08-16-21, 04:49 AM
AlexAviles
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 81 Posts

Jmorgan, so if I attempt the right/rear (drivers side) plug first, the rest of them will be a breeze?
Old 08-16-21, 06:19 AM
Yri
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexAviles
Jmorgan, so if I attempt the right/rear (drivers side) plug first, the rest of them will be a breeze?
From what his post stated, yes that would seem the best option. Like LoSt180 stated in post #4, just take your time removing things and then organize them. What I find helps me a lot is taking pictures of the things before and after I remove them, with everything that I remove. That way I can tell where the stuff goes again and which bolts go where (sometimes I thread each bolt back into its respective place so its impossible to forget). Whenever I forget to do both those things I'm usually in a hurry but then I regret not doing those things. It really is worth the extra time.

Also by taking pictures you can not only provide help for yourself, but also other people on the forums if you so wish to post them here.
Old 09-05-21, 03:33 PM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Did my plugs today. I was overly zealous in removing things to make plug access easier. I removed battery and unplugged computer under the battery tray (just the outside plug, not the inside downward plug). This allowed me to remove the bottom battery tray and remove the bolt under that holding in the fuse box. I removed the fuse box bolts so I could move it around (both sides). Removed any wire or ac line brackets that were in the way. Removed Strut tower braces.

Was not a horrible job... just long... and freaking hot as hell here in Florida.
The following users liked this post:
sqlboy2000 (09-05-21)
Old 09-05-21, 04:26 PM
sqlboy2000
Advanced

Received 400 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by CinFulxgs
Did my plugs today. I was overly zealous in removing things to make plug access easier. I removed battery and unplugged computer under the battery tray (just the outside plug, not the inside downward plug). This allowed me to remove the bottom battery tray and remove the bolt under that holding in the fuse box. I removed the fuse box bolts so I could move it around (both sides). Removed any wire or ac line brackets that were in the way. Removed Strut tower braces.

Was not a horrible job... just long... and freaking hot as hell here in Florida.
Good on you!
I try to plan for such things in December or January lol. It's flat out fatal to do anything outside or in the garage right now.
Old 09-06-21, 07:02 AM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sqlboy2000
Good on you!
I try to plan for such things in December or January lol. It's flat out fatal to do anything outside or in the garage right now.
Seriously, every time I work in the garage I lose 2 pounds of water weight... LOL

I highly recommend a magnetic swivel socket made for spark plugs and a swivel adapter to boot. Extensions as well and a 10mm small ratcheting wrench.
sqlboy2000 (09-06-21)
Old 09-06-21, 03:48 PM
AlexAviles
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 81 Posts

[QUOTE=CinFulxgs;11120373]Did my plugs today. I was overly zealous in removing things to make plug access easier. I removed battery and unplugged computer under the battery tray (just the outside plug, not the inside downward plug). This allowed me to remove the bottom battery tray and remove the bolt under that holding in the fuse box. I removed the fuse box bolts so I could move it around (both sides). Removed any wire or ac line brackets that were in the way. Removed Strut tower braces.

Was not a horrible job... just long... and freaking hot as hell here in Florida.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the post! I like these posts of confidence. Looks like I’ll be tackling mine soon.
Old 09-08-21, 10:42 AM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

It's not bad... scariest part was when removing the plugs they don't want to come out easy. Just go slow when removing and screwing in the plug itself.
AlexAviles (09-10-21)
Old 09-10-21, 07:49 PM
badboylex
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok thanks good information.