Search this Thread

Old 08-31-21, 06:13 PM
Way2low01
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by nigel821
Josh whas does DRS and DRM mean?

Thanks

Is there any way you could take pictures of looking inside the wheel from the outside. I'm curious how much of the spacer you can see when looking at the wheel?

Thanks

I wish my 2020 was slightly lower. But again with AVS, I'm very weary of putting lowering springs on it due to it probably causing the shock to die faster or leak... I don't think there is a coilover yet made for AVS.. or that would ideally be the way to go. Until they come up with a solution that isn't going to affect the shock, I'm going to hold on on anything that lowers the car.

-Nigel
Sure thing, I’ll get some for you.
Old 08-31-21, 06:17 PM
3ISRC
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

Yes coilovers with AVS is ideal. Stock shocks on ‘17 are already blowing lol on stock springs.

Thanks

Is there any way you could take pictures of looking inside the wheel from the outside. I'm curious how much of the spacer you can see when looking at the wheel?

Thanks

I wish my 2020 was slightly lower. But again with AVS, I'm very weary of putting lowering springs on it due to it probably causing the shock to die faster or leak... I don't think there is a coilover yet made for AVS.. or that would ideally be the way to go. Until they come up with a solution that isn't going to affect the shock, I'm going to hold on on anything that lowers the car.

-Nigel
Old 08-31-21, 10:44 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 701 Likes on 615 Posts

DRS comes with extended studs to replace the OEM ones.
DRM comes with the studs built into the spacer.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 09-01-21, 08:32 AM
Way2low01
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks

Thanks

-Nigel
Here you go.

Old 09-01-21, 10:25 AM
LoSt180
Advanced

Received 605 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
DRS comes with extended studs to replace the OEM ones.
DRM comes with the studs built into the spacer.

-Josh
Another common terms you may hear is that DRS are "slip-on" spacers, while DRM are "bolt-on" spacers.

Slip-on spacers slide over existing wheel studs (or replacement extended studs).

Bolt-on spacers bolt on to the existing wheel studs, with small open-ended lug nuts, then the wheel mounts to new studs that are built into the spacer.

Generally, bolt-on spacers are easier to initially install since you don't have to replace the lug studs. However, there is some debate about the safety of this style spacer, specifically when used in sizes smaller than 20mm on a heavy vehicle.

I've used both styles on different cars over the years. Currently have 15mm DRS front and rear on my RCF. Torqued with a torque wrench, and no issues even on track days, I personally wouldn't track a bolt-on spacer. Also brake maintenance is quicker/easier since I don't have to deal with trying to unbolt a spacer to remove rotors or adjust e-brake shoes, etc.
Old 09-01-21, 01:01 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 782 Likes on 485 Posts

Thank you for the clarification!

I've never used spacers before.. .always kinda turned my nose up to them just from hearing people complain about either issues or ball joints wearing out faster..etc. But it seems like a lot of folks use them here with no issues.

Way2low:

Thank you for the pics! Not as bad as what I had invisioned in my mind. If they were powder coated black they would blend right in honestly.

-Nigel

Last edited by nigel821; 09-01-21 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-04-21, 01:09 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Here are close ups of 20 mm. 15 mm should be quite safe both front and back. Though. I love both more aggressive look and the very planted/sure-footed feel with the wider track widths. Makes the tires stay on the contact patch a lot more