RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-21, 12:38 PM
Roche
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Windshield replacement

I got a massive crack from a large rock a few years back and had to replace the windshield. I called 2 or 3 glass shops and they all told me that the only place they could order the glass was from Lexus directly so I might as well go through them. The total bill for replacement and re-calibration (I hate lane departure systems for this reason) was between $1,000 and $1,200.

Fast forward to yesterday and was driving back from a long road trip. I had just finished telling a friend who was with me about how expensive the windshield was when literally 5 seconds later, took a huge rock from an oncoming car that put a big horizontal crack in the windshield. Neither of us could believe the timing...

It literally makes me want to sell this car.

Anyways, now that my rant is done (thanks for listening), does anyone have any leads (Canada based, Edmonton specifically) on aftermarket glass or installation or any way to replace this windshield at a lower price than what the dealership will charge?
Old 09-07-21, 12:51 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,062 Likes on 2,574 Posts

Retail on the glass appears to be $600 assuming this is the option package you have.
https://www.lexuspartsdirect.ca/p/Le...610124909.html
So $400+ for installation and recalibration? Sounds about right. Aftermarket glass is generally terrible with some exceptions don't know if it is available for your car.
Old 09-07-21, 01:16 PM
sqlboy2000
Advanced

Received 400 Likes on 275 Posts

Doesn't comprehensive insurance cover the deductible on windshield replacement, I thought even in Canada?
Old 09-07-21, 01:58 PM
JT2MA71
Forum Moderator

Received 1,610 Likes on 701 Posts

If you have carbon roof, I wouldn't use aftermarket windshield. That is of course if the car is still under warranty. If for some reason the roof develops a crack or something, the dealer can blame it on the aftermarket glass, they'd claim that it is part of the structure and since it's not OEM replacement, it's what caused the cf roof damage. Now, if it's not under any warranty or it doesn't have a cf roof, then I think safelite is an OK replacement. When mine cracked, my insurance tried to only cover for a cheaper replacement and I said no, I want oem. My agent helped me get OEM and then I had Exoshield installed over it. Exoshield is like phone screen protector material, so it's like a thin layer of glass.
Old 09-07-21, 02:36 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

That really sucks.

Here is my advice. All of my close friends who are in the auto glass buisness do not recommend aftermarket glass IF you have a heated windshield area for wipers.

Dealer glass has a proper weather proof connector for this and typically aftermarket glass does not. They have seen cases where moisture has ruined the cheaper plug and caused thousands in damage to cars.

Contact your insurance you should hopefully have comprehensive coverage but they may only pay for aftermarket glass.

Personally I’d rather just pay out of pocket for dealer glass and have it installed and not give my insurance company a reason to jack my rates. When I had my windshield replaced I did not bother with the recalibration either. I’ve had no issues either.
Old 09-07-21, 03:07 PM
Roche
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by brendanf
That really sucks.

Here is my advice. All of my close friends who are in the auto glass buisness do not recommend aftermarket glass IF you have a heated windshield area for wipers.

Dealer glass has a proper weather proof connector for this and typically aftermarket glass does not. They have seen cases where moisture has ruined the cheaper plug and caused thousands in damage to cars.

Contact your insurance you should hopefully have comprehensive coverage but they may only pay for aftermarket glass.

Personally I’d rather just pay out of pocket for dealer glass and have it installed and not give my insurance company a reason to jack my rates. When I had my windshield replaced I did not bother with the recalibration either. I’ve had no issues either.
This is why I paid out of pocket the first time. It's getting annoying though. My other vehicle I just bought is a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Came with a cracked windshield but only $200 to replace out of pocket.
Old 09-07-21, 03:10 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

I know it’s not cheap.

I paid $980 CDN cash deal for dealer glass installed.

You should also check the availability of the glass. I’ve heard some windshields are hard to get right now because of the pandemic.
Old 09-09-21, 04:48 AM
louczar
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I was needing to replace my windshield in my current RC350 F Sport for over a year. I called 2 places I have used before and they got back with me. My son-in-law has a used car dealership and has a glass person he uses. My car doesn't have the auto wiprer sensor. They could find the windshields with the bracket for that sensor so much cheaper than the ones without. I got it replaced with the one with the bracket. It was not OEM glass. I'm selling the car soon anyways....and buying something newer and better :-)
Old 09-10-21, 06:37 AM
OldManRCF
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

good luck getting OEM glass right now, my lexus glass has been on back order for 2 1/2 months
Old 09-11-21, 05:48 PM
Darrell2
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by OldManRCF
good luck getting OEM glass right now, my lexus glass has been on back order for 2 1/2 months

Thats no good. I need another, I swear this windshield is at the right angle to catch rocks.