Frameless window rattle on door opening

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-21, 10:39 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Frameless window rattle on door opening

2019 build, 2020 model year RCF.

Had my passenger side window regulator changed due to frameless window shaking and making a rattling noise when door opened.

Tech initially trialled silicon and I tried ‘gummi-pfledge’ but window wasn’t sticking to rubber as was thought initially.

The process of replacement of the regulator damaged the window seal, door gasket and plastic on the door card trim all of which were replaced and the door card plastic repaired.

Now my driver’s door window is doing the same thing. Dreading thought of bringing in to dealer. Although not keen on having window sound like a 1980’s KIA each time door opened.

Is this a common problem or just bad luck?
Old 09-19-21, 10:43 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,501 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Definitely not normal. No such issues with mine.
Old 09-22-21, 10:23 AM
corolla6mt
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by miop4000
2019 build, 2020 model year RCF.

Had my passenger side window regulator changed due to frameless window shaking and making a rattling noise when door opened.

Tech initially trialled silicon and I tried ‘gummi-pfledge’ but window wasn’t sticking to rubber as was thought initially.

The process of replacement of the regulator damaged the window seal, door gasket and plastic on the door card trim all of which were replaced and the door card plastic repaired.

Now my driver’s door window is doing the same thing. Dreading thought of bringing in to dealer. Although not keen on having window sound like a 1980’s KIA each time door opened.

Is this a common problem or just bad luck?
Hello. Yes I can validate your complaint. I have the exact same issue on the Driver side. Purchased my 2016 in nov 2016. Started to notice the rattle in 2019. Whilst pulling on the door latch to open the door the window will autodown to unlock from its seal and rattle (violently for lexus standards). You can also see the glass shaking ever so slightly. I also noticed the silicon bead streak on the outside of the glass. I got the dealer to work on it b4 warranty expired in 2020. Not sure if what adjustments was made, but now I noticed the window does not seal 100% as I can hear whistling wind noise when it is windy outside (very annoying when driving on freeway) and not acceptable for a 90k vehicle. I did inform my service dept that this issues is not resolved, but my current service advisor kinda blew me off .... but I will be escalating it when time permits.
I think may RCF owners do not notice it because they may think its part of the design. RCF owners should compare the two doors, and with other luxury vehicles and they will hear it.
Old 09-22-21, 03:18 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

No such issue with mine. Just thump of the door handle followed by window auto down noise. No rattle or any other noise. I can make a video if it helps

Originally Posted by corolla6mt
Hello. Yes I can validate your complaint. I have the exact same issue on the Driver side. Purchased my 2016 in nov 2016. Started to notice the rattle in 2019. Whilst pulling on the door latch to open the door the window will autodown to unlock from its seal and rattle (violently for lexus standards). You can also see the glass shaking ever so slightly. I also noticed the silicon bead streak on the outside of the glass. I got the dealer to work on it b4 warranty expired in 2020. Not sure if what adjustments was made, but now I noticed the window does not seal 100% as I can hear whistling wind noise when it is windy outside (very annoying when driving on freeway) and not acceptable for a 90k vehicle. I did inform my service dept that this issues is not resolved, but my current service advisor kinda blew me off .... but I will be escalating it when time permits.
I think may RCF owners do not notice it because they may think its part of the design. RCF owners should compare the two doors, and with other luxury vehicles and they will hear it.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 09-22-21 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-23-21, 12:42 AM
miop4000
Intermediate

Common problem on the frameless windows on BMW coupes. Removing the door cards and tightening the window frame bolts is a relatively straight forward DIY process on the BMWs.

Unfortunately, the repair in the RCF is much more difficult and for some reason requires a new window regulator.

The silly over engineering of European models and their silly niggling problems is why I switched to Lexus in the first place.
Old 10-16-21, 01:09 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

As promised, I made a video of me opening and closing the door several times. Just a solid/rigid 'thump' and nothing else.

Old 10-16-21, 04:00 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Thanks
That sounds like the repaired passenger side. Booking into dealer Monday to repair driver’s side door.
Old 10-26-21, 11:55 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Returned from dealer for driver’s side window rattle on opening door.

Window guide tightened and a felt strip placed on metal rail bracing glass. Rattle gone.

Will see if the problem returns as the passenger side window with the same problem required a new window regulator.

2 different dealers two different approaches for the same apparent problem.

Interesting that service guy mentioned no more V8’s in future. Twin turbo 3.5 V6 will be the performance leader in future.
Old 10-27-21, 06:31 AM
Louczar1
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by miop4000

Interesting that service guy mentioned no more V8’s in future. Twin turbo 3.5 V6 will be the performance leader in future.
That would be strange for them to dump the V8. time frame?

Old 10-27-21, 06:32 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Louczar1
That would be strange for them to dump the V8. time frame?
RCF will be around till 2023 and the 2UR will retire with the RCF when the RCF GT3 racing car is retired in 2023.
Old 12-17-21, 05:47 PM
sgtjyf01
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The wireless charger does not work with iPhone12 onwards. This is because of the inbuilt magnets in the phone that causes the charger to switch off. It thinks there is a metallic object, so it turns off as a safety feature. This manifests itself when the led continuously flashes orange 3 times.

I have tried the same with an iphone11 and other android phones with no issues.

Unfortunately given the fact Lexus uses shared components across it's models, this affects the entire range.
Old 01-07-22, 05:38 PM
G1H1
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

Deleted. Posted in wrong thread.

Last edited by G1H1; 01-07-22 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-20-22, 01:50 AM
Moorekx
Pit Crew

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Now that I have had the car for a couple weeks here is my list:

(1). Passenger seat is as hard *** a rock; I have ordered a cushion from Amazon.
(2). Fuel door seems flimsy compared to German cars. For example: It’s easier to just let the cap dangle vs fight putting it in the holder while getting gas.
(3). Hood release and closing the hood feels awkward / flimsy compared to German cars. For example: I was expecting the weight of the hood to be enough to allow it to close instead I have to figure out how much force to close the hood with hoping not to over do it. Plus the latch itself feels a lil flimsy.
Old 03-20-22, 08:40 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Moorekx
Now that I have had the car for a couple weeks here is my list:

(3). Hood release and closing the hood feels awkward / flimsy compared to German cars. For example: I was expecting the weight of the hood to be enough to allow it to close instead I have to figure out how much force to close the hood with hoping not to over do it. Plus the latch itself feels a lil flimsy.
LOL..is that a negative? The hood is made of expensive lightweight aluminum and the hood prop struts hold the hood up. The hood is lightweight and not made of steel. It is not supposed to drop and shut with its weight. If anything, having a heavy hood is a bad thing for dynamics/handling with that much weight aft/high above over the front axle.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 03-20-22 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-20-22, 11:17 AM
lojackfty
Intermediate

Received 221 Likes on 104 Posts

what fixed it?

Quick Reply: Frameless window rattle on door opening