RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Mount Front Plate?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-21, 11:22 AM
SailorTPD
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Mount Front Plate?

CA requires plates in front. PITA. Dealer gave me the mount bracket and it looks like I have to drill out some holes in front in order to sheet metal screw the bracket to the front. Before I grab my drill---what's behind that plastic?
Old 10-03-21, 12:18 PM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 346 Likes on 228 Posts

I put my plate on one of these mounts.

https://www.cravenspeed.com/the-plat...hoCr5IQAvD_BwE

Last edited by CAHWY128; 10-03-21 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-03-21, 02:54 PM
SailorTPD
Intermediate

While that's a nice piece of kit, I think that placement would cover the radar transmitter/receiver. Turns out the supplied screws are self tapping (sorta). So no drilling needed.
Old 10-03-21, 07:31 PM
Roche
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Man I'm glad we don't require front plates here. What's the price of the ticket when you get pulled over running with rear only? I might be inclined to risk it.
Old 10-04-21, 04:34 AM
AlexAviles
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 81 Posts

Same thing here in NH. It’s total BS because we call our ourselves the live free or die state. What pisses me off most is that it’s a law that we can be ticketed for but people from other states can’t be ticketed for. As far as law, that seems totally unfair. They require it so state troopers can increase the likeliness of a good radar reading, especially from a distance (Good flat spot on your car to bounce back radar). Even with that, my biggest issue is how ****ty a front plate looks on a car and having to put holes in a bumper to mount a plate. I have the tow hook side mount and yes it does interfere with the front parking radar. You can still use it but it will beep and show the red proximity zone near the plate the whole time. On the RCF a center plate ruins the entire look of the front end by obscuring the spindle grill which is basically the center point of the front end styling IMO.
Old 10-04-21, 07:23 AM
LoSt180
Advanced

Received 605 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexAviles
Same thing here in NH. It’s total BS because we call our ourselves the live free or die state. What pisses me off most is that it’s a law that we can be ticketed for but people from other states can’t be ticketed for. As far as law, that seems totally unfair. They require it so state troopers can increase the likeliness of a good radar reading, especially from a distance (Good flat spot on your car to bounce back radar). Even with that, my biggest issue is how ****ty a front plate looks on a car and having to put holes in a bumper to mount a plate. I have the tow hook side mount and yes it does interfere with the front parking radar. You can still use it but it will beep and show the red proximity zone near the plate the whole time. On the RCF a center plate ruins the entire look of the front end by obscuring the spindle grill which is basically the center point of the front end styling IMO.
If you have the craven speed one like in the other post, you should be able to flip that so it's more towards the center of the car instead of to the side of the bumper. Flipping it will stop it from interfering with the parking sensor. I have one, but it honestly sits in my trunk taking the gamble and hoping the old standby excuse of "oh sorry, I went to a cars and coffee and must have forgotten to put it back on" will work.

On a side note, the factory bracket mount holes are deep inside the mesh part of the grill, so the holes are pretty hidden if you take off the mount.
Old 10-04-21, 07:48 AM
Louczar1
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

My recently purchased 2019 10th anniversary edition has the plate mounting bracket in the original wrapper sitting in the trunk. I have not looked it closely since I dont have plates yet. i will soon though. Texas requires plates up front.
Old 10-06-21, 09:41 PM
x360box
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexAviles
I'm in the same boat. Just bought an RC F but I will not add the plate to front of the car. I see many cars with no front plates. CA is the worst state, weather is not worth it anymore.
Old 10-07-21, 05:23 AM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 346 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by x360box
I'm in the same boat. Just bought an RC F but I will not add the plate to front of the car. I see many cars with no front plates. CA is the worst state, weather is not worth it anymore.

I agree and I am thinking about moving, not sure where yet. Anywhere but California.
Old 10-07-21, 08:27 AM
FSportBill
Driver

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SailorTPD
CA requires plates in front. PITA. Dealer gave me the mount bracket and it looks like I have to drill out some holes in front in order to sheet metal screw the bracket to the front. Before I grab my drill---what's behind that plastic?
I also used the Cravenspeed plate mounting system for my previous RCF....worked great!

The following users liked this post:
NewLexGuy (10-13-21)
Old 10-07-21, 08:44 AM
RobbinN
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, everyone. I just order adhesive replica plate for my new car. Because I dont want make any holes. I think it is crazy. In case https://adhesivereplica.com/ .One my friend use the same.
Old 10-07-21, 09:17 AM
SailorTPD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RobbinN
Hi, everyone. I just order adhesive replica plate for my new car. Because I dont want make any holes. I think it is crazy. In case https://adhesivereplica.com/ .One my friend use the same.
That is a cool solution, but still, where did you mount it without ruining the look? Does it stick to the grille and what about residue when you remove it?
Old 10-07-21, 01:43 PM
Louczar1
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I just installed the factor front plate bracket. The OP never installed it and was still in the plastic in the trunk when I bought the car. The grill has the mount holes for the bracket. Need some new plate bolts.
Old 10-07-21, 02:16 PM
stag3
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CAHWY128
I agree and I am thinking about moving, not sure where yet. Anywhere but California.
haha same here man, been looking @ NV or TX, basically any states without income tax, and no commie over the top smog checks.
The following 2 users liked this post by stag3:
CAHWY128 (10-08-21), NewLexGuy (10-13-21)
Old 10-07-21, 02:58 PM
x360box
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by stag3
haha same here man, been looking @ NV or TX, basically any states without income tax, and no commie over the top smog checks.
Those states would be beneficial for the juice needed for the RC F. We're at the mercy of OPEC again..
The following users liked this post:
CAHWY128 (10-08-21)

Quick Reply: Mount Front Plate?