RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Brake dust

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-21, 12:42 PM
SailorTPD
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Brake dust

Only have 250 miles on new car. But have a really awful coating of brake dust on the front wheels-not so awful on the back ones. Will the dust creation eventually slow down or will this go on forever (if so, how long between brake jobs)? Anyone got a quick way of getting rid of the dust? Dry microfiber towel that you throw away after use?
Old 10-18-21, 01:38 PM
LoSt180
Advanced

Received 593 Likes on 322 Posts

Welcome to owning a high performance car. I think I've seen that some people get the wheels ceramic coated and it helps make washing off the dust easier. Others just change their pads to a "low dust" product. Personally I just have a car wash membership and get my car cleaned once or twice a week.
The following users liked this post:
Yri (10-18-21)
Old 10-18-21, 02:36 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,472 Likes on 1,777 Posts

They are high friction material ppads meant for repeated hard braking on the track so some noise/squealing is definitely part of the reality of the brake pads. You can swap them out for other pads that promise low dust, but definitely they would not have the same repeated stopping power. I still have my OEM rotors/pads and have 18,900 KM on my RCF. Definitely, the dust still happens, but I am really happy with how the brakes perform especially from high speeds where they never lose their bite even after repeated hard braking.
Old 10-18-21, 03:05 PM
SailorTPD
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

The dry microfiber towel worked well and didn't take an awful lot of time but tedious. While we're discussing cleaning, can the carbon fiber roof go through a car wash? I know the manual says no brushes and recommends hand washing....but I wanted something fun to drive not a PITA to keep clean.
Old 10-18-21, 03:39 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SailorTPD
The dry microfiber towel worked well and didn't take an awful lot of time but tedious. While we're discussing cleaning, can the carbon fiber roof go through a car wash? I know the manual says no brushes and recommends hand washing....but I wanted something fun to drive not a PITA to keep clean.
Yes, I have taken mine through touchless carwash many times over 4+ years and never any issues. As long as it is touchless, there is no issues as it is effectively hand washing.
Old 10-18-21, 04:19 PM
ALargeTom
Pit Crew

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

🤦‍♂️And the rim. 20 spokes rim is killing me!!!
everytime I went to coin self wash place. I couldn’t get it cleaned. And I couldn’t see the dust when I cleaning it.
Old 10-18-21, 04:22 PM
sqlboy2000
Advanced

Received 400 Likes on 275 Posts

Recently had a good thread on this with the group, enjoy:

I'm drowning in brake dust - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion
Yri (10-18-21)
Old 10-18-21, 06:52 PM
Yri
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

Brake dust is natural with semi-metallic pads. Semi-metallic pads deal with heat better and they usually have a higher friction coefficient, aka "bite". Thats why they put them on a high performance car. When a car's top speed is 168 mph you don't want to have your brakes fade halfway down from that speed. So its either get a higher performance ceramic pad that will probably dust pretty bad too, or deal with the I-stomp-on-my-brakes-at-every-stop-sign kind of look. Or you could buy some el cheapo pads but thats not really a good idea, or you could go with the factory TSB that swaps the OEM pads for ceramic OEM pads..

Last edited by Yri; 10-18-21 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-18-21, 07:10 PM
Klemgold
Driver School Candidate

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Those touchless car washes usually use recycled water. I’d love to see y’all’s paint and the massive micromarring from using car washes.
MCB1970 (10-19-21)
Old 10-18-21, 07:48 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Klemgold
Those touchless car washes usually use recycled water. I’d love to see y’all’s paint and the massive micromarring from using car washes.
I use 90% of the time coin washes and 10% of the time touchless. No issues with my paint including with the carbon fiber on the roof and spoiler and my car is 5+ years old. Not sure if you mean one should only handwash at home to avoid those?
Old 10-18-21, 08:03 PM
Klemgold
Driver School Candidate

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I use 90% of the time coin washes and 10% of the time touchless. No issues with my paint including with the carbon fiber on the roof and spoiler and my car is 5+ years old. Not sure if you mean one should only handwash at home to avoid those?
I bet under the correct lighting, your paint is swirled and micromarred like crazy 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️
Old 10-18-21, 08:09 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I bet under the correct lighting, your paint is swirled and micromarred like crazy 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️
I don't know what micromarring is, but definitely I can tell you no swirl marks or orange peel anywhere as I always meticulously check it in very bright lights from all angles.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 10-18-21 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-19-21, 05:31 AM
Louczar1
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

A link that shows micro marring. https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sh...ring-look-like

Even if the touchless car washes recycle water, it would be filtered to some degree.

I used to do the touch-less very occasionally on previous cars. I prefer to use the self wash places. BUT, I dont ever use their brushes. those plastic bristles will scratch up your paint surface. I take my own bucket and wash supplies. I spray the wheels first with the tire cleaner and then presoak the car. Before I bought the 2019 RC F, I would use high pressure soap to spray the car again and then hand wash, rinse and then spot free rinse. With the matte gray paint job on the 2019 RC F,, I had to change a bit. I presoak and then use the high pressure soap WITHOUT squeezing the trigger to knock off the loose dirt.
Yri (10-19-21)
Old 10-19-21, 07:44 AM
Yri
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

Much of the time, swirling and micromarring isn't really all that prevalent from washing a car, unless if you have dirty equipment. Water from those car washes is surely filtered (otherwise it would become a car dirtier, not a car wash), and they are designed to be somewhat gentle on paint. Much of the time swirls and micromarring is caused by wrong polishing techniques. Also, orange peel, from my knowledge, is only truly caused when clearcoat is applied in humid conditions. If a car is painted like it is in a factory with near 0% humidity, orange peel is very little or not present at all. Polishing a car is a good idea if you're concerned about swirls and mircomarring, you can do it by hand as well. I just did my hood and fenders by hand and they turned out just fine. Then to protect the finish you put a sealant over it. Those usually last for about 6-12 months.

As for the wheels, a good aluminium wheel cleaner with a soft brush should not harm the wheels in any way. It will make the process a lot faster. Then maybe it would be an idea to try some Armor-all brake dust repellent. I've heard that stuff works pretty well for up to a month.

Last edited by Yri; 10-19-21 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-19-21, 08:28 AM
MCB1970
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

My girlfriend recently bought a pressure washer so I do most of my car washing at her place since I live in an apartment. What a great tool! I bought a foam cannon and two 5 gallon buckets with dirt trap inserts plus Korean towels. Her neighbor thinks I overdo it, but when you invest in paint correction and ceramic coating you don't want to re-introduce swirl marks!