RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Invidia Mufflers + other Midpipes

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-21, 12:03 AM
anakratis
Rookie

Received 43 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Invidia Mufflers + other Midpipes

Has anyone tried this combination? I have the Invidia catback on order, but I'm eager to try the mufflers with something like an Apexi non-resonated.
Old 10-20-21, 04:58 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 769 Likes on 479 Posts

Pretty sure they won't bolt up to other mid pipes due to size ( I do know the doughnut gasket would be different). I know mid pipes like Apexi, Gt Haus..etc. Those bolt up to OEM rear mufflers. But the size is different on the Invidia midpipe which I believe only works with their axle back so you'd probably be the first to try it..lol

Curious you have the GThaus axle-back in your sig. Why not just get the Apexi or GT Haus mid pipe? Why completely change exhausts? I have the Invidia and really like it! But with that being said I feel like the GT Haus/Meisterchaft is going to be a much better quality system, especially if you paired it with their own mid pipe. I feel like you are downgrading from your Meisterschaft to the Invidia... Again I'm not knocking Invidia, but the Meisterschaft rear mufflers are a thing of beauty. Now if you are looking to tone down the exhaust note, I get that. As the Meisterschaft can be loud, probably even louder (maybe too loud) with their midpipe or if you are running their cat back system. Is your axle back valved or non-valved?

-Nigel

Last edited by nigel821; 10-20-21 at 05:22 AM.
Old 10-20-21, 10:55 AM
anakratis
Rookie

Originally Posted by nigel821
Pretty sure they won't bolt up to other mid pipes due to size ( I do know the doughnut gasket would be different). I know mid pipes like Apexi, Gt Haus..etc. Those bolt up to OEM rear mufflers. But the size is different on the Invidia midpipe which I believe only works with their axle back so you'd probably be the first to try it..lol

Curious you have the GThaus axle-back in your sig. Why not just get the Apexi or GT Haus mid pipe? Why completely change exhausts? I have the Invidia and really like it! But with that being said I feel like the GT Haus/Meisterchaft is going to be a much better quality system, especially if you paired it with their own mid pipe. I feel like you are downgrading from your Meisterschaft to the Invidia... Again I'm not knocking Invidia, but the Meisterschaft rear mufflers are a thing of beauty. Now if you are looking to tone down the exhaust note, I get that. As the Meisterschaft can be loud, probably even louder (maybe too loud) with their midpipe or if you are running their cat back system. Is your axle back valved or non-valved?

-Nigel
I might try the GTHaus midpipe anyways...but I think it's gonna be hilariously loud

Haha good question. I'm not exactly sure what I want yet. I'm playing around with systems for now I think. I have the valved axle-back with wireless remotes. I liked the Apexi but heard they drone a lot. I'm trying to find something that isn't raspy at all, something that's somewhat loud but not annoyingly loud. The Invidia has a very nice exotic growl and I was just curious how it'd sound with a GTHaus midpipe (which is basically a straight pipe with their high flow res).

I think you're right on pipe diameter. I watched a video of someone throwing on the Invidia RC350 axle-back with an Apexi midpipe, but that only works because the diameter is 2.5" throughout, whereas the full Invidia RCF system is 2.75". Hmmmm.

Last edited by anakratis; 10-20-21 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-20-21, 11:42 AM
anakratis
Rookie

-Nigel
Additionally I heard that Meisterschaft system has problems down the road with valves/midpipe etc. Supposedly the v2 midpipe (which is a straight pipe) is better.
Old 10-20-21, 02:59 PM
sensai
Advanced

Received 657 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by anakratis
Additionally I heard that Meisterschaft system has problems down the road with valves/midpipe etc. Supposedly the v2 midpipe (which is a straight pipe) is better.
ppe midpipe with resonators and high flow cats paired with titanium gthaus valved axleback. per the manual the valves require periodic lubrication. valves open in both vids

valves close at 0:22

Last edited by sensai; 10-20-21 at 05:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sensai:
anakratis (10-20-21), konichiwa3 (10-20-21)
Old 10-20-21, 08:04 PM
anakratis
Rookie

Originally Posted by sensai
ppe midpipe with resonators and high flow cats paired with titanium gthaus valved axleback. per the manual the valves require periodic lubrication. valves open in both vids

https://youtu.be/ASCasYXhvNc

valves close at 0:22
https://youtu.be/vKSTVh0SjNg
Beautiful sound. Did you have the midpipe custom ordered with high flow cats from PPE? Seems they are out-of-stock according to their site.
Old 10-20-21, 11:46 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 691 Likes on 608 Posts

Beautiful sound. Did you have the midpipe custom ordered with high flow cats from PPE? Seems they are out-of-stock according to their site.
Yeah we can get them built with cats from PPE, just have to deal with the wait time.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
The following users liked this post:
anakratis (10-21-21)
Old 10-21-21, 12:31 AM
anakratis
Rookie

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
Yeah we can get them built with cats from PPE, just have to deal with the wait time.

-Josh
Haha Josh stop you're already giving me too many choices 🤣
Meraki Autoworks (10-21-21)
Old 10-21-21, 07:39 AM
nigel821
Racer

Arrow

I might try the GTHaus midpipe anyways...but I think it's gonna be hilariously loud

Haha good question. I'm not exactly sure what I want yet. I'm playing around with systems for now I think. I have the valved axle-back with wireless remotes. I liked the Apexi but heard they drone a lot. I'm trying to find something that isn't raspy at all, something that's somewhat loud but not annoyingly loud. The Invidia has a very nice exotic growl and I was just curious how it'd sound with a GTHaus midpipe (which is basically a straight pipe with their high flow res).

I think you're right on pipe diameter. I watched a video of someone throwing on the Invidia RC350 axle-back with an Apexi midpipe, but that only works because the diameter is 2.5" throughout, whereas the full Invidia RCF system is 2.75". Hmmmm.

You are probably right about it being loud... Everything that I have researched and seen people post is that if you get the non resonated Apexi mid pipe you will get some drone. Others say it was bad, while some say it's not bad. Take that with a grain of salt. When someone to me says there is drone, I don't want it. Because personally to me, it's annoying AF. I have it with my STi and now looking to change things on the car to eliminate the drone at a certain RPM range. I've heard zero complaints with the resonated Apexi mid pipe. I still keep thinking/looking at the Tom's axle back and the Apexi resonated mid pipe. But at the same time spending $4+k for an exhaust seems a bit much to me, when I do really enjoy the sound the Invidia makes. I think because it's an X pipe instead of the H pipe. X pipes seem to give a higher pitched exhaust note compared to an H pipe which is a lower growl/tone.

I do like the sound of the Invidia. It really does seem like the best bang for the buck. When you do a cat back you are going to make (maybe not?) the same amount of power (although I don't think I have seen dyno results, everyone claims there are gains but without a dyno sheet I take it as the perceived noise makes it seem like more power). I can't see one manufacture claiming more power than another simply because they are doing anything any different. You are eliminated the secondary cats and or resonators. One manufacture can't claim 20hp while another claims 40hp..etc. (I'm just throwing numbers out there). Headers are where power is gained but personally I wouldn't get headers only because there is no tune available for my 2020, and to me it makes no sense to do headers without a tune.

Exhaust notes are a touchy subject because everyone perceives it differently. IE: When I put the Invidia on I was honestly expecting a super quiet exhaust that I wouldn't know what I just installed from stock. Again, this is because sooooooooooooooooo many people claim the exhaust is quiet and not loud. On top of that no video really does a good job with the sound. When I installed it and started the car up for the first time it was immediate that something was changed because the sound was awesome. I laughed because I said to myself, this isn't "quiet" by any stretch of the imagination but because everyone kept saying how quiet it is, that's what I was expecting. When I cold start the car, it will pop/crackle every time. I love it. Then it mellows out and has a soft rumble. As soon as you drive and get on it, it's loud, but not obnoxiously loud. I get the appeal of noise but I think some folks just want something that is insanely loud. Which to me takes away from the Lexus feel. If I wanted a super loud car it wouldn't have been an RCF. But with so many options for everyone that's the beauty of it.. you'll eventually find something you like.

I feel like the resonated Apexi midpipe is going to give you a better tone/noise level than the GT haus mid pipe mainly because the resonators are larger. You can always play around with different exhausts and figure out which one is best sounding to you. It's an easy install on our cars for the most part. And then worst case scenario sell what you no longer want. You'd probably get most of your money back on whatever you choose to sell.

-Nigel
The following 2 users liked this post by nigel821:
anakratis (10-21-21), MCB1970 (10-21-21)
Old 10-21-21, 11:04 AM
anakratis
Rookie

You are probably right about it being loud... Everything that I have researched and seen people post is that if you get the non resonated Apexi mid pipe you will get some drone. Others say it was bad, while some say it's not bad. Take that with a grain of salt. When someone to me says there is drone, I don't want it. Because personally to me, it's annoying AF. I have it with my STi and now looking to change things on the car to eliminate the drone at a certain RPM range. I've heard zero complaints with the resonated Apexi mid pipe. I still keep thinking/looking at the Tom's axle back and the Apexi resonated mid pipe. But at the same time spending $4+k for an exhaust seems a bit much to me, when I do really enjoy the sound the Invidia makes. I think because it's an X pipe instead of the H pipe. X pipes seem to give a higher pitched exhaust note compared to an H pipe which is a lower growl/tone.

I do like the sound of the Invidia. It really does seem like the best bang for the buck. When you do a cat back you are going to make (maybe not?) the same amount of power (although I don't think I have seen dyno results, everyone claims there are gains but without a dyno sheet I take it as the perceived noise makes it seem like more power). I can't see one manufacture claiming more power than another simply because they are doing anything any different. You are eliminated the secondary cats and or resonators. One manufacture can't claim 20hp while another claims 40hp..etc. (I'm just throwing numbers out there). Headers are where power is gained but personally I wouldn't get headers only because there is no tune available for my 2020, and to me it makes no sense to do headers without a tune.

Exhaust notes are a touchy subject because everyone perceives it differently. IE: When I put the Invidia on I was honestly expecting a super quiet exhaust that I wouldn't know what I just installed from stock. Again, this is because sooooooooooooooooo many people claim the exhaust is quiet and not loud. On top of that no video really does a good job with the sound. When I installed it and started the car up for the first time it was immediate that something was changed because the sound was awesome. I laughed because I said to myself, this isn't "quiet" by any stretch of the imagination but because everyone kept saying how quiet it is, that's what I was expecting. When I cold start the car, it will pop/crackle every time. I love it. Then it mellows out and has a soft rumble. As soon as you drive and get on it, it's loud, but not obnoxiously loud. I get the appeal of noise but I think some folks just want something that is insanely loud. Which to me takes away from the Lexus feel. If I wanted a super loud car it wouldn't have been an RCF. But with so many options for everyone that's the beauty of it.. you'll eventually find something you like.

I feel like the resonated Apexi midpipe is going to give you a better tone/noise level than the GT haus mid pipe mainly because the resonators are larger. You can always play around with different exhausts and figure out which one is best sounding to you. It's an easy install on our cars for the most part. And then worst case scenario sell what you no longer want. You'd probably get most of your money back on whatever you choose to sell.

-Nigel
Really appreciate the wisdom and experience!

Yeah those are my thoughts with the Invidia pipes as well. I've never been a SUPER loud exhaust person, and the axle back I have on my IS350 is loud enough, but I figured why not have a little fun with the RCF. I think you said it yourself—I fully expect the Invidia to be louder than I thought it was mainly because everyone says it's so quiet and that's why I have one on order because I just don't know how it'll sound until I'm able to hear one in person.

Funny enough, the Tom's + Apexi combination was the one I was looking at next. Though now I also have the PPE midpipe to think about. Might be a good idea to pick up the Apexi resonated (non-reso will most likely be way too loud on the current setup for my liking) and see how it sounds with the GTHaus axle back. If it's too loud, I believe Tom's gives more of a lower end growl versus something savage. I mean I've already spent 3k on just the GTHaus axle back, Tom's won't be a far stretch if I end up selling the GTHaus.

Again, thanks for thoughts!
Old 10-21-21, 01:24 PM
sensai
Advanced

what Josh said. ordered through him and there was a wait time. i ordered the complete elite series catback. sold the axleback so i can go titanium.
Meraki Autoworks (10-21-21)
Old 11-04-21, 11:10 PM
sensai
Advanced

When you do a cat back you are going to make (maybe not?) the same amount of power (although I don't think I have seen dyno results, everyone claims there are gains but without a dyno sheet I take it as the perceived noise makes it seem like more power).
-Nigel
ppe posted dyno results claiming 29whp gain with i believe @BossMoss car and their elite series catback with high flow cats. it was a selling point for me. sheet is hard to read but they stand by the numbers.

https://www.ppeengineering-onlinesto...-145010-DM.htm

Last edited by sensai; 11-04-21 at 11:37 PM.
Old 11-05-21, 05:40 AM
nigel821
Racer

Arrow

Originally Posted by sensai
ppe posted dyno results claiming 29whp gain with i believe @BossMoss car and their elite series catback with high flow cats. it was a selling point for me. sheet is hard to read but they stand by the numbers.

https://www.ppeengineering-onlinesto...-145010-DM.htm

Awesome! Thank you for the link and info! It's probably safe to assume then that replacing the stock cat back with an aftermarket nets at least 20whp (being on the low conservative side). I'm surprised that more people don't do before/after dyno runs on our cars. I'm so used to the subie world where you can pull numbers for almost any mod and have a general idea of gained HP. If you replace your up-pipe, you'll net X amount, Downpipe=X amount, complete turbo back exhaust..etc.

-Nigel