RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Active Sound Control in normal or sport?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-21, 03:02 AM
CrimsonF
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Active Sound Control in normal or sport?

I actually like how it sounds, is there any way to keep it active in anything other than Sport+?

Sport+ is great but downshifts can sometimes be a bit too aggressive if driving on regular streets..

I think I might have read there was a way to force the pipe to stay open but idk if that would activate the speaker that augments the sound or perhaps it was another vehicle and I am misremembering.
Old 10-29-21, 07:42 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,788 Posts

I think you are confusing two different things. There is the intake secondary flap, which is a vacuum driven flap that opens up at 3600 rpm (2800 rpm for the 2020+).. You can disconnect the vacuum line and it will stay open always. Keep in mind, from personal experience, while it gives you a deep growl at 1000 rpm to 3600 rpm that is not there, but you will lose low-end torque as I had it disconnected when I purchased my RCF. Once the dealership reconnected, I never went back and got a cold air intake instead, but it still activates at 3600 rpm.

The other is active sound control, which is engine induction/exhaust note being piped into the cabin via a special speaker. That is the part that activates in SPORT+ mode. I have not read how to keep it activated in all other modes, though.
The following users liked this post:
yok3dIS (10-31-21)
Old 10-29-21, 08:06 AM
CrimsonF
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I think you are confusing two different things. There is the intake secondary flap, which is a vacuum driven flap that opens up at 3600 rpm (2800 rpm for the 2020+).. You can disconnect the vacuum line and it will stay open always. Keep in mind, from personal experience, while it gives you a deep growl at 1000 rpm to 3600 rpm that is not there, but you will lose low-end torque as I had it disconnected when I purchased my RCF. Once the dealership reconnected, I never went back and got a cold air intake instead, but it still activates at 3600 rpm.

The other is active sound control, which is engine induction/exhaust note being piped into the cabin via a special speaker. That is the part that activates in SPORT+ mode. I have not read how to keep it activated in all other modes, though.
Yes that sounds exactly like what I was reading then!

That's a shame, certainly don't wanna loose low end power.

A Cai would be a good alternative then but I was wondering which one to go with.

The thing is, I installed multiple CAI's on my Tacoma and while they gave it a deeper growl, it became unbearably loud and drony at high rpms or WOT. This problem was the same with multiple CAIs, mainly the open cone type.

Finally I got one that kept the stock air box and simply replaced the filter and a straight tube with no resonator, and it gave it a less deep tone but no annoying droning/loudness at the top end.

Does the RC F also suffer from that issue or could it have just been the Taco?
Old 10-29-21, 08:21 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I have had my AFE Power Takeda Stage 2 cold air intake for over a year (wet version) and no complaints. It has a velocity stack so it pulls more air in at high rpm and has a metallic growl above 3600 rpm. No, there is no torque loss at all since the two-stage airbox is still there so below 3600 rpm, it is quiet like stock. However, once the rpm goes over 3600 rpm and the baffle opens up, it has a more growling sound under load. It is similar to stock. Just about 10% louder. I paid $500 for it so it is was worth the money and the installation was easy as I did it in my garage. There some noticeable gains in the midrange and maybe 4 -5 whp gain at the top rpm. The exhaust system gives around +18 whp and more exhaust note, but that is a separate topic.

This video is pretty good. I used this video and I was able to uninstall OEM intake and install the new one just by looking at this

Originally Posted by CrimsonF
Yes that sounds exactly like what I was reading then!

That's a shame, certainly don't wanna loose low end power.

A Cai would be a good alternative then but I was wondering which one to go with.

The thing is, I installed multiple CAI's on my Tacoma and while they gave it a deeper growl, it became unbearably loud and drony at high rpms or WOT. This problem was the same with multiple CAIs, mainly the open cone type.

Finally I got one that kept the stock air box and simply replaced the filter and a straight tube with no resonator, and it gave it a less deep tone but no annoying droning/loudness at the top end.

Does the RC F also suffer from that issue or could it have just been the Taco?

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 10-29-21 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-29-21, 08:41 AM
SailorTPD
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Take a look at pg 137 of the owners manual--it seems to indicate that it might be enabled in M so you could better control the downshifts in S+.
Old 10-29-21, 08:45 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, SPORT+ and MANUAL mode are the only modes I use (TVD in slalom),.
Old 10-29-21, 10:42 AM
SailorTPD
Intermediate

I'm not sure that my 2021 actually has ASC. There's no switch for it not that I'd necessarily turn it on or off. I do wish it had active noise control like my lincoln. The car is noisier inside than I like (similar to my 2010 Venza)--its mostly tire noise. My 2019 Lincoln (with active noise reduction) and my 2008 Lexus ES350 are much quieter. They put active noise reduction on an LC500, seems it could have been added to the RC F.
Old 10-29-21, 11:13 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SailorTPD
I'm not sure that my 2021 actually has ASC. There's no switch for it not that I'd necessarily turn it on or off. I do wish it had active noise control like my lincoln. The car is noisier inside than I like (similar to my 2010 Venza)--its mostly tire noise. My 2019 Lincoln (with active noise reduction) and my 2008 Lexus ES350 are much quieter. They put active noise reduction on an LC500, seems it could have been added to the RC F.
It is the same for all RCF. It is there and there is no switch in RCF to turn it off.

The tires are high performance track tires (max performance) so they are noisy than your average street tires because of the size and compound. It is the charm of those quirks of owning a high performance car. You cannot compare it to those cars unless you are looking for a quiet cruiser which the RCF is not

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 10-29-21 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-29-21, 03:48 PM
SailorTPD
Intermediate

Yah, I knew going in that it wasn't going to be about a quiet ride. When we were shopping I had my eye on an LC but wife like the RC more since the LC was a bit lower to the ground which made it harder to get in and out. I did try M S+ and TVD in slalom and it was a fun ride but I'm not used to paddle shifting and kept trying to find a clutch with my left foot
Old 10-29-21, 04:12 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SailorTPD
Yah, I knew going in that it wasn't going to be about a quiet ride. When we were shopping I had my eye on an LC but wife like the RC more since the LC was a bit lower to the ground which made it harder to get in and out. I did try M S+ and TVD in slalom and it was a fun ride but I'm not used to paddle shifting and kept trying to find a clutch with my left foot
LC is a different demographic so more insulation makes sense. It is more focused on being a GT. It is bigger and 400 lbs heavier more focused on comfort, amenities, quietness and luxury while RCF is supposed to be a balance between luxury/track oriented performance in the M car segment. In my opinion, the RCF insulation is excellent. I rarely hear any noise from outside and the PS4S version I have are fairly quiet tires as long as they are being driven on smooth roads. If you ever drive an M4, it feels like a tin can on four wheels. Noises from everywhere.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 10-29-21 at 05:02 PM.