RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

OEM Brembos vs RR Racing Gyro BBK comparison test

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-21, 12:59 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,788 Posts
Default OEM Brembos vs RR Racing Gyro BBK comparison test

Really insightful. Though, the comparison is with OEM having 100K miles vs brand new RR Racing ones so the stopping test is not exactly apples to oranges, but the huge loss in rotational mass alone makes it a great modification. Once my OEMs are done, I will look into getting these.

The following users liked this post:
1wacko (11-08-21)
Old 11-08-21, 05:05 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 547 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Really insightful. Though, the comparison is with OEM having 100K miles vs brand new RR Racing ones so the stopping test is not exactly apples to oranges, but the huge loss in rotational mass alone makes it a great modification. Once my OEMs are done, I will look into getting these.

LEXUS RCF Brake Rotor Performance Test Comparison 1 PC BREMBO VS 2 PC RR-RACING/GIRODISC - YouTube
You mean apples to apples? Apples and oranges make a good fruit salad. 🤣

I appreciate the real world test though. The rotational mass savings alone is a plus. Not cheap. I can get OEM Brembos for the fronts for around $250. I think these are $1,200 for the front. But that distance is quite significant.

I wonder what brake pads he is using?
Old 11-08-21, 06:35 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 778 Likes on 482 Posts
Arrow

Pretty sure Barry was using his old pads...smh..lol. At least in the first video he posted on facebook he just reused his pads. Which... if I'm honest is kinda silly. You have nice new two piece rotors, CHANGE the pads. Also one thing I noticed is that on the first braking test he did not engage ABS, but in the second run with the giro discs you can clearly hear ABS kicking in. Which is why I think he had longer stopping distances on the first test run. He wasn't hard enough on the brakes.

I have Giro discs on my STi and I love them. I think I'll be picking these up shortly. It's a shame because I only have 200 miles on my car so the rotors are new. But loosing rotational weight is key especially when you do it on all 4 corners.

Giro discs are almost too nice looking to use. I was sad when I put them on my car because they were just so beautful. The quality is there 100%. Porsche guys swear by them as well.

-Nigel
Old 11-08-21, 07:14 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cvt
You mean apples to apples? Apples and oranges make a good fruit salad. 🤣

I appreciate the real world test though. The rotational mass savings alone is a plus. Not cheap. I can get OEM Brembos for the fronts for around $250. I think these are $1,200 for the front. But that distance is quite significant.

I wonder what brake pads he is using?
LOL...that is true. Good catch. Yeah, the total loss of rotational mass is 34 lbs or something on all four corners. Considering it is rotational, which means it has an exponential effect on inertia as the speed goes higher, the net effect is a lot more than what the 34 lbs might suggest. I still have I think around a couple more spring/summer left on my OEM and I will definitely get these ones as the performance gains are pretty significant.

Originally Posted by nigel821
Pretty sure Barry was using his old pads...smh..lol. At least in the first video he posted on facebook he just reused his pads. Which... if I'm honest is kinda silly. You have nice new two piece rotors, CHANGE the pads. Also one thing I noticed is that on the first braking test he did not engage ABS, but in the second run with the giro discs you can clearly hear ABS kicking in. Which is why I think he had longer stopping distances on the first test run. He wasn't hard enough on the brakes.

I have Giro discs on my STi and I love them. I think I'll be picking these up shortly. It's a shame because I only have 200 miles on my car so the rotors are new. But loosing rotational weight is key especially when you do it on all 4 corners.

Giro discs are almost too nice looking to use. I was sad when I put them on my car because they were just so beautful. The quality is there 100%. Porsche guys swear by them as well.

-Nigel
I think he did a pad replacement video a while back. However, he did not replace both of them at the same time.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-08-21 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-08-21, 07:35 PM
Yri
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

While decreasing rotational mass is good, I don't see how it would be worth over 2 grand front and rear. As Nigel said, you can hear the ABS actuating more aggressively on the Girodisc runs. Realistically speaking the main noticeable factor (if there really was any to begin with) that lowering the rotational mass has on braking is that the ABS could pulsate faster, up until the software limitations, of course. They look good and they might help make the car perform a little better, but remember, this is a 2 ton car we're talking about here.
Old 11-08-21, 07:56 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 778 Likes on 482 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
LOL...that is true. Good catch. Yeah, the total loss of rotational mass is 34 lbs or something on all four corners. Considering it is rotational, which means it has an exponential effect on inertia as the speed goes higher, the net effect is a lot more than what the 34 lbs might suggest. I still have I think around a couple more spring/summer left on my OEM and I will definitely get these ones as the performance gains are pretty significant.

I think he did a pad replacement video a while back. However, he did not replace both of them at the same time.

How to change Lexus RCF Brake Pads and Brake Fluid Flush - YouTube
6:30 in this video of him replacing the rotors.

Those pads would have gone in the trash if they were me...rofl ;-p

-Nigel
Old 11-08-21, 08:18 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Yri
While decreasing rotational mass is good, I don't see how it would be worth over 2 grand front and rear. As Nigel said, you can hear the ABS actuating more aggressively on the Girodisc runs. Realistically speaking the main noticeable factor (if there really was any to begin with) that lowering the rotational mass has on braking is that the ABS could pulsate faster, up until the software limitations, of course. They look good and they might help make the car perform a little better, but remember, this is a 2 ton car we're talking about here.
Like I explained, once the wheels start turning, that 34 lbs or so has an exponential effect so it is very different than static mass. It is unsprung mass and it also improves acceleration as the engine has to overcome less wheel inertia to get them to spin faster suddenly.
Old 11-08-21, 09:27 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 547 Likes on 363 Posts

I think Lost has the same two piece if I’m not mistaken. I watched the video again and that braking distance difference is huge. I thought tires would have a larger effect on braking distance but he did do repeated stops which favors better pads and rotors.

oh lawd help me! keep the mod demons away from my pockets! LOL
Old 11-09-21, 08:55 AM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 346 Likes on 228 Posts

I have the R&R 2 piece rotors. They were so pretty when I installed them.
Old 11-09-21, 12:28 PM
Miggie
Pit Crew

Received 122 Likes on 63 Posts

im trying to save weight where i can. these are on my list along with the lighter battery from rr racing. maybe some lighter wheels too.
Old 11-10-21, 07:15 AM
LoSt180
Advanced

Received 602 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by cvt
I think Lost has the same two piece if I’m not mistaken. I watched the video again and that braking distance difference is huge. I thought tires would have a larger effect on braking distance but he did do repeated stops which favors better pads and rotors.

oh lawd help me! keep the mod demons away from my pockets! LOL
I have the Figs rotors made by RacingBrake. Weight savings is comparable between both brands. Here's my pics of those: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...l#post11032217

While these YouTube tests are far from perfect, the experience is about the same, meaning that the it takes less braking force to stop. To say another way, if the same braking force was applied in both tests in that video, then it makes sense that ABS was kicking in because there was less rotating mass to contend with. I'm actually glad he used the same pads for his test so that the impressions show the benefits of just the rotors and not the combined benefits of rotors and fresh pads.

I personally wish I had just done this mod early instead of waiting until I needed new pads to make the swap.