RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Current GS 350 AWD Owner Looking at RC F

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-21, 08:11 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts
Default Current GS 350 AWD Owner Looking at RC F

Greetings. First time in the forum though I have been a CL member for several years now.

I have a 2013 GS 350 AWD currently with 71K miles. I stumbled upon a local dealer (not Lexus) 2015 RC F with 74k miles. It might be a little high at $45,900 and I'm trying to get a feel for any trouble points I should check thoroughly before I fall in love with it.

As I post this, I'm scanning this forum for any recent issues and problems but figure the fine folks here could shorten my search with the most important items.

Thanks

Last edited by Knucklebus; 11-14-21 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Wrong year of car, not 2017 RC F
The following users liked this post:
NewLexGuy (11-18-21)
Old 11-13-21, 09:25 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,778 Posts

Welcome. The mileage is a bit high, but the price is on the low side actually for $46K probably because of the high mileage considering RCFs have been holding their value very well (and actually going up). Nowadays, low mileage, mint condition 2015 - 2016 go for $50+K depending on the specs and options. What kind of specs/options does it have? Did you check its maintenance record history and also the carfax (for accidents etc.)? Make sure the high pressure fuel pump recall work was done on it.

There are no significant issues RCFs face. A few people had A/C servo motor issues, but it is covered under a TSB and Lexus fixes it for free (if that is an issue). RCF is actually one of the most bullet proof Lexus so far as some people have 100K+ miles and still have no issues with it.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-13-21 at 10:02 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 05RollaXRS:
Knucklebus (11-14-21), NewLexGuy (11-18-21), sqlboy2000 (11-14-21)
Old 11-14-21, 08:13 AM
SailorTPD
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Welcome. The mileage is a bit high, but the price is on the low side actually for $46K probably because of the high mileage considering RCFs have been holding their value very well (and actually going up). Nowadays, low mileage, mint condition 2015 - 2016 go for $50+K depending on the specs and options. What kind of specs/options does it have? Did you check its maintenance record history and also the carfax (for accidents etc.)? Make sure the high pressure fuel pump recall work was done on it.

There are no significant issues RCFs face. A few people had A/C servo motor issues, but it is covered under a TSB and Lexus fixes it for free (if that is an issue). RCF is actually one of the most bullet proof Lexus so far as some people have 100K+ miles and still have no issues with it.
Drive it on the local road that you enjoy driving the GS on. Note 2 things. Road noise will likely be higher on the RCF since there's a lot less sound deadening installed as well as the noisy summer tires (if owner installed correct replacements). The other thing you should notice is how it takes the turns with RWD vs the AWD you are used to. I find that AWD "connectedness" to the road is comforting while RWD with understeer is more "exciting".

Last edited by SailorTPD; 11-14-21 at 08:15 AM. Reason: added a missing word
Knucklebus (11-14-21)
Old 11-14-21, 08:25 AM
sqlboy2000
Advanced

Received 400 Likes on 275 Posts

I'll add the standard - brakes and tires. If you track it or stick with the factory spec, they can add up. (Depending on how frequently you drive).
I don't track and I daily my car, so there's more options for tires and pads which I have explored and I'm still thrilled with how it goes and stops.
Other than that, it's screwed together like a Toyota. Best of luck not falling in love with it
(Post pics if you pull the trigger!)
The following 2 users liked this post by sqlboy2000:
Knucklebus (11-14-21), NewLexGuy (11-18-21)
Old 11-14-21, 09:13 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

First, I mistakenly put 2017. It is a 2015 model. I was looking at maybe an RC350 when this one popped up.

It is sitting on a dealer's lot. I haven't run a CarFax but it shows two accidents on the iSeeCars app I have on my phone.

The GS 350 AWD is my first AWD car so I have always driven RWD cars and trucks all my life. My wife is the Honda driver in the family. My other car is a 500HP GS but it's a 1970 Buick GS, not a Lexus. No nannies, no ABS, throttle by cable and great at turning money into noise and tire smoke.

Link to the car: https://www.theautovaultbg.com/inven...exus/rc/10251/
Old 11-14-21, 09:59 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SailorTPD
. I find that AWD "connectedness" to the road is comforting while RWD with understeer is more "exciting".
I think you mean RWD tail-happy "oversteer" as compared to AWD.
Old 11-14-21, 10:48 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

I think you mean RWD tail-happy "oversteer" as compared to AWD.
A lot depends on the vehicle, its weight distribution and drive wheels. Most cars on the road, be they front, rear or AWD, are built with understeer into the geometry because it is safer. A rear engine car like a Porsche will gladly swap ends with excessive oversteer when pushed past the limits.

Something like the RC F can probably throttle-induced oversteer if the nannies are turned off.
Old 11-14-21, 10:53 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
A lot depends on the vehicle, its weight distribution and drive wheels. Most cars on the road, be they front, rear or AWD, are built with understeer into the geometry because it is safer. A rear engine car like a Porsche will gladly swap ends with excessive oversteer when pushed past the limits.

Something like the RC F can probably throttle-induced oversteer if the nannies are turned off.
Yeah, the point I was making AWD has more tendency to understeer because it is usually more nose-heavy (a lot of times close to 60/40) and also the front wheels are doing double-duty in most cases.

In the RCF, I get oversteer and powerslides out of turns even with the traction fully turned easily. Just pull the nose tightly in, unload the rear and get on the power in a low gear for high-revs, voila! the tail snaps, but very easy to control. Granted it is in SPORT+/MANUAL mode where the VDIM parameters are more relaxed and the TVD set to 'Slalom' (Slalom mode makes it very snappy and tail happy)

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-14-21 at 11:18 AM.
Knucklebus (11-14-21)
Old 11-14-21, 11:56 AM
SailorTPD
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Mebe I used the term incorrectly. But in RWD when I go around a curve I don't have to steer as much to get around the curve-especially if I throttle up in the curve. When I take a curve at speed in FWD car I have to steer more to get around the curve and sometimes have to let off the gas. In AWD the car goes where I point it--always. I have one of each. (ES350 FWD, RCF RWD, Lincoln Nautilus AWD). So the feel of driving is noticeably different between the three. Prefer the AWD since it is more predictable--had the RCF come with AWD, I'd have gotten it. The car I wanted to get but couldn't because of pandemic issues was a MBZ E450 4matic cabriolet.
Old 11-14-21, 12:05 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SailorTPD
Mebe I used the term incorrectly. But in RWD when I go around a curve I don't have to steer as much to get around the curve-especially if I throttle up in the curve. When I take a curve at speed in FWD car I have to steer more to get around the curve and sometimes have to let off the gas. In AWD the car goes where I point it--always. I have one of each. (ES350 FWD, RCF RWD, Lincoln Nautilus AWD). So the feel of driving is noticeably different between the three. Prefer the AWD since it is more predictable--had the RCF come with AWD, I'd have gotten it. The car I wanted to get but couldn't because of pandemic issues was a MBZ E450 4matic cabriolet.
Yes, that is "oversteer" you described. The rotational axis of a RWD is closer to the rear especially something like an RCF that has a 53/47 weight distribution with TVD, will make the car rotate about the y-axis that is closer to the rear so it takes less input from the steering to make the car go around the turn taking the turn faster since you can throttle-steer it using throttle especially when you take the curve in a low gear/high-rpm where you have loads of initial throttle response.

When you take a turn aggressively, the AWD will have an inherent tendency to understeer getting on the power mid-turn (the front will try to go straight) because when the front wheels have power going to them while turning, they would want to drive straight even when the wheels are pointing left or right. Also, the AWD adds more weight to the front. Something I feel in my RX450h with AWD. However, I agree the AWD feels much more safer and less scary. I had a few moments in my RCF where oversteer scared the hell out of me, but as soon as I reacted it sorted itself out. I would never attempt driving my RCF in the snow, which is what my RX450h is for and the RCF sleeps through the winter.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-14-21 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-14-21, 12:09 PM
sqlboy2000
Advanced

Received 400 Likes on 275 Posts

First, I mistakenly put 2017. It is a 2015 model. I was looking at maybe an RC350 when this one popped up.

It is sitting on a dealer's lot. I haven't run a CarFax but it shows two accidents on the iSeeCars app I have on my phone.

The GS 350 AWD is my first AWD car so I have always driven RWD cars and trucks all my life. My wife is the Honda driver in the family. My other car is a 500HP GS but it's a 1970 Buick GS, not a Lexus. No nannies, no ABS, throttle by cable and great at turning money into noise and tire smoke.

Link to the car: https://www.theautovaultbg.com/inven...exus/rc/10251/
So back to the car (these guys always nerd out on handling, lol), IMO and my opinion only, you can do much better than this.
A 2015 with 74k miles and (allegedly) 2 accidents even in this market, this car isn't a good deal.
I know this isn't the best example (CarMax doesn't have any 2015s at the moment) but:
Used 2017 Lexus RC F in Fort Worth, Texas | CarMax

I know it's 4k more, but keep in mind, it's 2 full model years newer and has 25k less miles AND no accidents on the autocheck.
Again, not saying this specific car, but if you want an RC-F, I think you could do better by giving it a few days / weeks to see what comes available.

(Edit: Just noticed the first car has the carbon fiber package, and that does typically add a few thousand dollars, but I still don't like the price on that 2015 with 74k and 2 accidents, still think you can do better).

Last edited by sqlboy2000; 11-14-21 at 12:33 PM. Reason: More info
The following 3 users liked this post by sqlboy2000:
05RollaXRS (11-14-21), Knucklebus (11-14-21), Yri (11-14-21)
Old 11-14-21, 08:14 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts

Take it for a test drive… but I will wait maybe till next year!! Car prices now a days are joke..
Old 11-15-21, 09:31 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Originally Posted by chris07is
Take it for a test drive… but I will wait maybe till next year!! Car prices now a days are joke..
Yes, I messaged him about the car. He wants to see my GS and appraise it. His was last for sale for $41,900 so he's looking for a $5K upgrade since the last sale.

Mine needs a left rear wheel bearing that will arrive Wednesday. I may go see it later this week once I'm over the "PoS, get rid of it!" attitude I have of the GS with a whining bearing. It will take me an hour to swap it on the lift.

I'd be better served with an RC 350 but the RC F looked so sexy.
Old 11-15-21, 10:02 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, I messaged him about the car. He wants to see my GS and appraise it. His was last for sale for $41,900 so he's looking for a $5K upgrade since the last sale.

Mine needs a left rear wheel bearing that will arrive Wednesday. I may go see it later this week once I'm over the "PoS, get rid of it!" attitude I have of the GS with a whining bearing. It will take me an hour to swap it on the lift.

I'd be better served with an RC 350 but the RC F looked so sexy.
Keep in mind, the 2015 you are looking at, has the $5500 carbon fiber/TVD performance option on it so while it has high mileage on it, it does come with good options. That makes the original MSRP around ~ $83K for the 2015. Even at $46K, given all of the records and history check out, it is a decent deal considering the market today,. You can try and wait for a low mileage one, which is also a good strategy. I waited 10 months to find the right one and that was in 2017 when the market was not this crazy, but there are very few RCFs where I live.
Old 11-15-21, 10:13 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Keep in mind, the 2015 you are looking at, has the $5500 carbon fiber/TVD performance option on it so while it has high mileage on it, it does come with good options. That makes the original MSRP around ~ $83K for the 2015. Even at $46K, given all of the records and history check out, it is a decent deal considering the market today,. You can try and wait for a low mileage one, which is also a good strategy. I waited 10 months to find the right one and that was in 2017 when the market was not this crazy, but there are very few RCFs where I live.
I don't think I've ever seen an RC F in person and realized it. There are a plethora of ES 350s around here an more than a few LS cars. Frankly, I've seen more RC 350s than I have GS 350s. There were two RC 350s at work and I was the only GS 350 in a parking lot of 1,000+ cars.
05RollaXRS (11-15-21)

Quick Reply: Current GS 350 AWD Owner Looking at RC F