2020 RC F Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-21, 08:13 PM
Reaper15
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2020 RC F Coilovers

Hey yall,

Im looking into getting a true coilover set up. Im curious what brands stick out to you? Im not trying to spend top dollar but I do want something reliable. Ive looked into FIGS and thats an insane number to look at in my opinion. TEIN monosports Ive seen and those were more reasonable, but those are green and I dont want green. Maybe im just being too picky, but Id prefer red or blue for sure. Any recommendations are appreciated!

Thanks

-Reaper
Old 11-14-21, 08:27 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,778 Posts

Did you check Ohlins? I believe RR Racing coilovers were made by Ohlin.
The following users liked this post:
Reaper15 (11-14-21)
Old 11-14-21, 08:34 PM
Reaper15
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Did you check Ohlins? I believe RR Racing coilovers were made by Ohlin.
I looked at RR, they were fairly reasonable too. I saw the RR Racing Road & Track R2 Coilover kit. And that was in my price range but would I need the upper control arm on my 2020 RC F base?
Old 11-14-21, 08:47 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Reaper15
I looked at RR, they were fairly reasonable too. I saw the RR Racing Road & Track R2 Coilover kit. And that was in my price range but would I need the upper control arm on my 2020 RC F base?
I don't believe so. RR Racing is a vendor on this forum so you can message them. My personal thought is, you should not need control arms in addition to the coil overs. I did coil overs on my other car many years ago, but never heard of control arms being replaced.
Reaper15 (11-15-21)
Old 11-15-21, 08:14 AM
Reaper15
Driver School Candidate

I don't believe so. RR Racing is a vendor on this forum so you can message them. My personal thought is, you should not need control arms in addition to the coil overs. I did coil overs on my other car many years ago, but never heard of control arms being replaced.
Shot them a message. Thanks for always being so helpful Rolla
Meraki Autoworks (11-15-21)
Old 11-15-21, 10:14 AM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

Knowing what your budget is would be helpful.

If you want to change out to coil overs I wouldn’t cheap out. Find some that have been specifically engineered for your car. Far too many use universal valving and spring rates.

Also many perches seize solid after a year or two of driving.

Myself I bought KW V3 for my RCF. Price was very good, quality is exceptional and KW designs their kits to be application specific.

Also fully stainless steel and completely rebuildable with a no questions asked lifetime warranty.

Black Friday sales will be starting soon so it will be a good time to buy.

Old 11-15-21, 11:08 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 769 Likes on 479 Posts

Correct me if I am wrong, but there is no coil over setup that works with AVS, no?

That's the main reason why I haven't changed the suspension stuff yet because I do not want to lose AVS. I'd love to go swift springs but that seems like a half solution and with people already making posts about leaking struts on stock suspension springs I'm quite hesitant to install lowering springs which will most likely affect the life of the strut....

-Nigel
Old 11-15-21, 01:39 PM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

Received 315 Likes on 173 Posts

I have the RR Racing Penske coilovers (standard spring rates), bar-none the best mod I ever made on my RCF. It turns your RCF into a stealth fighter, the amount of speed you can carry around curves, bends and ability for nimble transitions will have you smiling from ear to ear.

They inspire a great deal of confidence and feel with the car. I have had newer model porsche 911 beat me at the straights but they are stunned at how quickly I reel them back in at the bends. With M4's you have them sweating because they can't shake you off and they know it you are in full command.

In my mind if one is to appropriately allocate funds it would first go to the RR Penske coilovers, more so than headers or exhausts. The RR Penske's completely transform the RCF and makes every single drive an amazing experience, even just going out to the grocery store makes you feel invigorated.

You do not need to replace the upper control arms with any of the RR coilovers. I have had my RR Penske for more than 3 years now and the car feels solid and planted. Recently inspected them and still in great shape.

I would be happy to sacrifice AVS for this coilovers any day. Remember this are just not regular coilovers but Tuned Coilovers with dynometer evaluations. The valves in the RR Penske are quite sophisticated and combined with the tuning Penske was able to customize for the RCF they work amazingly regardless of road surface, speed and braking needs. RR racing did a great job collaborating with Penske to get this shocks tuned for high speed events such as bumps and low speed events G-outs and cornering. The RR Penske clearly tuned a beautiful damping curve and hit it out of the ballpark with this setup. My daily commute involves a portion of road that has a roller coast whoop and its astounding how planted the car is, you can really blast through it, with stock suspension it's not going to happen due to the demand it puts on the damping. RR Penske make the RCF sure footed regardless of road conditions and speed. Its definitely a stiffer feel but I have done long trips and always arrive feeling invigorated and energized just because of how well you feel connected to the car.

Old 11-15-21, 03:31 PM
Yri
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by nigel821
Correct me if I am wrong, but there is no coil over setup that works with AVS, no?

That's the main reason why I haven't changed the suspension stuff yet because I do not want to lose AVS. I'd love to go swift springs but that seems like a half solution and with people already making posts about leaking struts on stock suspension springs I'm quite hesitant to install lowering springs which will most likely affect the life of the strut....

-Nigel
No coilover system is compatible with AVS at the moment. However, dudes in the 3IS and 4th gen GS' run coilovers and they had AVS. Apparently all they say is to just unplug the wires and tie them up then put caps on the ends to seal em up. Springs only patch the disaster that is the rear divorced suspension, with true coilovers I bet it is pretty much as konichiwa3 said.
Old 11-15-21, 03:51 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Yri
Springs only patch the disaster that is the rear divorced suspension, with true coilovers I bet it is pretty much as konichiwa3 said.
I have read somewhere what you wrote there. Certainly, 'disaster' is an exaggeration and I say that from personal experience. Some say, divorced is not as optimal as having a true coil over in the rear, but it is something that is widely used in the industry on many popular high performance cars. Lexus learned to use that most likely by reverse engineering M cars as M cars typically have had the divorced spring/damper setup in the rear for decades with great results and much fanfare.

One downside of true coil over in a car that can pull good Gs in the turn, is the level of stress that is put on the rear subframe and can cause wear over the long term so there strengthening of the rear subframe needed to handle that, which is why I believe Lexus went with a divorced setup other than following what BMW does with its M cars. It certainly does not hamper the car's ability to put the power down in turns.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-15-21 at 04:06 PM.
Yri (11-15-21)
Old 11-15-21, 04:17 PM
sensai
Advanced

Received 657 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by nigel821

-Nigel
you are correct. i've been watching since i had my 17 rcf. r-sr is the closest although nothing yet for our car. they have a prototype they're running for the lc500 and they say thy're in active r&d with the rcf last time i emailed them on 7/20. they said to keep an eye out on their site or insta for the latest updates.

coils that support avs and can utilize something like the stanceparts front air kit would be ideal imo.
Old 11-15-21, 04:42 PM
Yri
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

I have read somewhere what you wrote there. Certainly, 'disaster' is an exaggeration and I say that from personal experience. Some say, divorced is not as optimal as having a true coil over in the rear, but it is something that is widely used in the industry on many popular high performance cars. Lexus learned to use that most likely by reverse engineering M cars as M cars typically have had the divorced spring/damper setup in the rear for decades with great results and much fanfare.

One downside of true coil over in a car that can pull good Gs in the turn, is the level of stress that is put on the rear subframe and can cause wear over the long term so there strengthening of the rear subframe needed to handle that, which is why I believe Lexus went with a divorced setup other than following what BMW does with its M cars. It certainly does not hamper the car's ability to put the power down in turns.
In all actuality, however, you must use a higher spring rate in a divorced setup as the wheel rate will be lower if the spring is farther away from the hub. That alone I would believe would cause more stress on the inboard bushings. I know most coilover sets that come with the divorced rear spring setup, and many times that rear spring has to be a good amount stiffer than the front. By moving the spring farther out you can run a lower spring rate for the same wheel rate, this is namely the advantage of a coilover setup. RR Racing explained it pretty well in one of their blogs (http://blog.rr-racing.com/news/2016/...ension-design/). And, yes, 'disaster' was an exaggeration (just a bit), in reality a disaster would be putting a live axle suspension on the rear like the 2006-2010(?) Mustangs, lol.
Old 11-15-21, 05:22 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, I know. I have read that and keep in mind, it is to advertise a product. All of the research I have seen and like I said, divorced setup is used on some of the most popular high performance cars including many M car models. Lexus would not put a substandard chassis/suspension setup on an $80+ K high performance car.

Theoretically either setup is equally viable, if done properly. I have no issues with a true coil over. I just strongly disagree with the narrative that divorced setup is an inferior setup as all of the evidence suggests based on my independent research and experience.

As a matter of fact, after Nissan owners tried swapping both setups and compared, their conclusions were that the way the car is engineered from the factory, is the most optimal to go with when it comes to coil overs. One reason, I stated above was the level of stress the true coil overs put on the rear subframes and to the point above, if the car is not engineered with the load factor on the subframe from the factory, that puts considerable long term risk on the dampers causing wear on the subframe and potentially causing fatigue in the subframe.

Originally Posted by Yri
In all actuality, however, you must use a higher spring rate in a divorced setup as the wheel rate will be lower if the spring is farther away from the hub. That alone I would believe would cause more stress on the inboard bushings. I know most coilover sets that come with the divorced rear spring setup, and many times that rear spring has to be a good amount stiffer than the front. By moving the spring farther out you can run a lower spring rate for the same wheel rate, this is namely the advantage of a coilover setup. RR Racing explained it pretty well in one of their blogs (http://blog.rr-racing.com/news/2016/...ension-design/). And, yes, 'disaster' was an exaggeration (just a bit), in reality a disaster would be putting a live axle suspension on the rear like the 2006-2010(?) Mustangs, lol.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-15-21 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-15-21, 05:41 PM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

Received 315 Likes on 173 Posts

RR Racing were aware of the extra stress a true coil over has on subframe and after examining RCF shock towers their concerns were put aside, no need for reinforcement. Straight from the factory the RCF subframe is double reinforced, laterally across and secondary reinforcement to an upper cross member, unlike BMW which ends up developing cracks due to lack of structural integrity. They had side by side photos of RCF vs BMW and it's day and night.

BMW
The following 3 users liked this post by konichiwa3:
05RollaXRS (11-15-21), LexLight (06-25-24), LoSt180 (11-16-21)
Old 11-15-21, 05:44 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Good info. Good to know that. I know Lexus went crazy with chassis reinforcements on the RCF chassis, but I had not seen those pictures especially as compared to the BMW and the ISF. Thanks.

Originally Posted by konichiwa3
RR Racing were aware of the extra stress a true coil over has on subframe and after examining RCF shock towers their concerns were put aside, no need for reinforcement. Straight from the factory the RCF subframe is double reinforced, laterally across and secondary reinforcement to an upper cross member, unlike BMW which ends up developing cracks due to lack of structural integrity. They had side by side photos of RCF vs BMW and it's day and night.

BMW

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-15-21 at 05:50 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 05RollaXRS:
konichiwa3 (11-15-21), Yri (11-15-21)

Quick Reply: 2020 RC F Coilovers