RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Nighty night for 5 months or so :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-21, 11:07 PM
BlueRCF10
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Nighty night for 5 months or so :(

Always a sad day when storage time comes around.

The following 3 users liked this post by BlueRCF10:
05RollaXRS (11-19-21), konichiwa3 (11-20-21), RandallNYC (11-20-21)
Old 11-19-21, 11:19 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,795 Posts

Yeah, same here, I put it away at the of October even though the weather is still quite OK. I miss driving it already. Weather is still decent as I just saw a 991,2 GT3 RS roaming around the block, but I take my insurance off at the end of October down to fire, vandalism and theft. Will start driving it again in 2nd half of March. In the meanwhile, I am planning on putting some goodies on it during the winter.

Old 11-19-21, 11:28 PM
BlueRCF10
Intermediate

Those pics were taken on Nov 5th but I as well stored it at the end of October. I ended up putting the cover on the 5th though.

As soon as the street sweepers do their job in the spring, I’m back at it.
Old 11-20-21, 12:32 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,795 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueRCF10
Those pics were taken on Nov 5th but I as well stored it at the end of October. I ended up putting the cover on the 5th though.

As soon as the street sweepers do their job in the spring, I’m back at it.
Yeah, I know salt and rock chips. I usually take it out a couple of times in March for some short drives to the car wash etc., but yeah April is when roads get cleaned up here.
Old 11-20-21, 10:07 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Question

Any details on what you are using for under the tires ???

I’m getting new tires and need something similar… long term non use.

Joe Z
Old 11-20-21, 10:23 AM
BlueRCF10
Intermediate

I usually used these thicker carpet squares that I cut out but this year I found these pretty cool foam pads from Dollarama surprisingly. They were like $3 CAD each and they do a great job and look “garage like”. I inflated the tire PSI’s to around 40 also.

Next year I’m smashing out that garage flooring and getting it re done. That’s why it looks like crap right now.
Old 11-20-21, 10:49 AM
LoSt180
Advanced

Received 604 Likes on 328 Posts

What cover are you using and how do you like it? Looking for something when it sits in the garage for a while.
Old 11-20-21, 12:02 PM
ALargeTom
Pit Crew

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

I don’t have other cars.. just sold my last vehicle.
Not sure about Chicago winter, will see in next 1 month.
I’m using 4s tires but will stay at home in bad weather

Old 11-20-21, 01:15 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 780 Likes on 483 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by LoSt180
What cover are you using and how do you like it? Looking for something when it sits in the garage for a while.
^
+2 to the exact car cover please.

I have a cover craft one for my STi. I need ot get one for the RCF now.

-Nigel
Old 11-20-21, 01:36 PM
BlueRCF10
Intermediate

Old 11-20-21, 01:42 PM
BlueRCF10
Intermediate

Car cover was this:

https://www.carcoversfactory.ca/car-...tion-car-cover

and I must of got it on sale:

The following 3 users liked this post by BlueRCF10:
LoSt180 (11-22-21), NewLexGuy (11-21-21), nigel821 (11-22-21)
Old 11-22-21, 08:54 AM
Roche
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Just to add to the "what do you use to store your car" suggestions. I got the satin stretch cover from Cover King. It's got a really nice stretchy satin outer layer, with a fleece liner. Helps prevent minor scratches and dings (important since my 3yo and wife use the garage daily) and is really easy to take on and off by myself. Also it doesn't take up a lot of room when rolled up. It also looks beautiful (got the blue/black combo which matches the car nicely).

Additionally, under the tires, to avoid flat spots, I found that a sheet of pink rigid foam insulation (1/2" or 3/4" thick) cut into smaller squares works great. It compresses and conforms better to the shape of the tire to spread out the weight. Ideally I would move my car a little throughout the winter, but practically, I always find it too cold and snowy to play around with the garage door open for most of the winter. I've never tried driving over them, I just jack the car up and slide it underneath.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/owe...dge/1000436411

Finally, hook up a battery tender and have that peace of mind.
The following users liked this post:
LoSt180 (11-22-21)
Old 11-22-21, 06:03 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 780 Likes on 483 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by Roche
Just to add to the "what do you use to store your car" suggestions. I got the satin stretch cover from Cover King. It's got a really nice stretchy satin outer layer, with a fleece liner. Helps prevent minor scratches and dings (important since my 3yo and wife use the garage daily) and is really easy to take on and off by myself. Also it doesn't take up a lot of room when rolled up. It also looks beautiful (got the blue/black combo which matches the car nicely).

Additionally, under the tires, to avoid flat spots, I found that a sheet of pink rigid foam insulation (1/2" or 3/4" thick) cut into smaller squares works great. It compresses and conforms better to the shape of the tire to spread out the weight. Ideally I would move my car a little throughout the winter, but practically, I always find it too cold and snowy to play around with the garage door open for most of the winter. I've never tried driving over them, I just jack the car up and slide it underneath.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/owe...dge/1000436411

Finally, hook up a battery tender and have that peace of mind.

Would you mind posting pictures of what the cover looks like on the RCF by chance. I'm looking for as close to form fitting as possible. The above looks good. I have a Covercraft indoor on my STi and it's very form fitting but it also cost almost $400... The coverking is also $409..lol. I have an outdoor coverking on our Mercedes and I like it. Very sturdy and nice quality.

I'm half tempted with the above even though it doesn't have mirror pockets or the antenna pocket, but it's on sale now for around $160, which seems like a decent bang for the buck.

-Nigel
Old 11-22-21, 06:27 PM
BlueRCF10
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nigel821
Would you mind posting pictures of what the cover looks like on the RCF by chance. I'm looking for as close to form fitting as possible. The above looks good. I have a Covercraft indoor on my STi and it's very form fitting but it also cost almost $400... The coverking is also $409..lol. I have an outdoor coverking on our Mercedes and I like it. Very sturdy and nice quality.

I'm half tempted with the above even though it doesn't have mirror pockets or the antenna pocket, but it's on sale now for around $160, which seems like a decent bang for the buck.

-Nigel
The one he’s mentioning is the same as mine but with blue. Mine has the felt on the inside etc etc etc. I compared them all and I chose this one for the best bang for your buck deal and the fit is perfect! Comes with a nice storage zip up bag made of the same material with a small handle. I couldn’t have asked for better.
Old 11-22-21, 06:29 PM
Roche
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by nigel821

-Nigel

It's nicely form fit without being too tight. There's an elastic that runs around the bottom edge at the front and back that snugs everything up. The mirror pockets actually make it super easy to put it on solo because you can hook one on then go to the other side of the car without worrying about it sliding off. It's an indoor cover only though, not meant to stand up to rain. The plus side is that it's soft and breathable and keeps the dust out.

Quick Reply: Nighty night for 5 months or so :(