RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Brake Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-21, 05:41 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,951 Likes on 1,374 Posts

Originally Posted by SailorTPD
The car has 500 miles on it, bedding should have happened by now.
Don't think you understand the bedding procedure or what the outcome is!
The following users liked this post:
nigel821 (12-28-21)
Old 12-28-21, 06:14 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 782 Likes on 485 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by buister
Sorry for being off topic. For me, this car is no joy when I have to drive with my wife in it. It's meant for driving alone. Why would you drive someone in a car that is not appreciated? Guys, I don't think I'm alone on this.
My wife says the complete opposite. She likes the car and is quite comfortable in it. Mind you I have a heavily modded STi that is meant for the track so anything other than that is probably an ace in her book. But during a test drive of a 2019 while she was in the back seat she even commented it was a comfortable ride/no problem for her. Her sitting in the front seat of my 2020 she's never once complained about anything. I even asked her about the exhaust when I put it on and if it was too loud and she said nope. Sounds great to me.
She liked driving it too and looked suprized when I told her lets go for a spin.

Mind you I don't know the mods people do but I can 100% understand if people do things and it no longer drives like a lexus... but honestly this car is smooth. It's not harsh to me at all. Very comfortable, and it's super easy to get to triple digit speeds too fast. I was on the road going 80 the other day and it didn't feel like anything to me, wasn't loud, harsh or anything to indicate that I was going too fast..lol.

I guess if people are used to S class type of suspensions or ride qualities then the RCF is gonna be different. But most of my vehicles were trucks/turbo charged 4 door japanese cars, so going to a Lexus was immediate on how smooth things are. One of the reasons why I choose Figs LCA bushings because I wanted to maintain the Lexus feel of everything. My w211 is pretty smooth but it's lowered and at times can be jarring when you hit a bump/dip in the road. The RCF doesn't experience this to me at all.

Originally Posted by sickpuppy
Don't think you understand the bedding procedure or what the outcome is!
Agree with you on this as well. Within the first 10 miles of me having the car I was hard on the brakes through multiple runs... In fact I didn't even bother with a break in procedure on the car. I feel that is what goes wrong later in the life of a vehicle, rings aren't properly sealed..etc. The dealer sure as hell isn't bedding in the brakes and neither is Lexus from the factory... so for as easy as it is to do a few runs at speed then braking hard, it's what I've always done on my vehicles. I'm still in the minority of thinkin brake squeal isn't a big deal. People bought the wrong car if they wanted the ride quality/quietness of an ES/LS type of vehicle...

-Nigel

Last edited by nigel821; 12-28-21 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-29-21, 08:15 AM
SailorTPD
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Image: brakebleeder.com
Bedding in your brakes helps transfer an even layer of brake pad material onto the brake rotor which assists in smoother brake operation and improved braking power. Having a uniform layer of pad material on the brake rotor is essential to minimizing brake squeal and vibration.

I do know what bedding is and that by now, 500 miles, with these high dust pads, pad material is everywhere it needs to be. So don't think wasting my time and more brake pad is worth the effort. In any case, dealership has it to deal with now.

Yes, perhaps I want a luxury car that also is fun to drive....thought I bought one but noise is anathema to luxury for most folks and certainly I feel that it has no place in a Lexus. Usually a 100K $US car has no defects.
Old 12-29-21, 08:32 AM
Yri
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

Bedding in high performance pads is different from regular pads. High performance pads usually need to get up to temperature a few times to be properly bedded in. This means a few hard stops from speed. It'll help with squeal a lot. Just because your pads are dusting doesn't mean the pads themselves are 'softened up' shall we say.
Old 12-29-21, 08:48 AM
SailorTPD
Intermediate

Here's a good description of why I bought this car and also why I don't believe excessive noise has its place...its from a car and driver review of the 2020 fuji.

Its personality translates to aggression tempered with refinement. Pedal it softly around town and the naturally aspirated 5.0-liter V-8 whispers like a luxury car's engine should. Stand on the throttle and it's a lion roaring in your ear. The eight-speed automatic always shifts smoothly, though never race-car quick. The Fuji's steering is both precise and reassuringly progressive. Its handling is sure-footed; when sweeping around on-ramps it's as stable and balanced as a ballerina. Switch off the stability control and it'll dance on its rear tires, allowing you to exit slow corners in easily controlled tail-out slides. And we wish all cars this track capable rode with such suppleness and finesse. In daily use it feels not at all like a track-attack weapon but rather a sweetly responsive, high-performance luxury sports coupe.

So I got the pretty RC F without the ugly wing on the rear with TVD to keep the rear end from sliding most of the time--especially the way I drive. It is a nice car but squealing brakes has no place in my garage.
Old 12-30-21, 10:20 AM
SailorTPD
Intermediate

Got the pads replaced. Drive home testing no squeal. Brakes are noticeably less grabby but get the job done smoothly and perhaps a tiny bit longer. In case interested, TSB is L-SB-0144-17. The part numbers are 04465-0W200 and 04465-0W080 for the replacement pads.