RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Brake Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-21, 10:55 AM
SailorTPD
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Brake Squeal

In addition to lots of brake dust, the brakes squeal if you brake lightly. Wife is pissed. I note that there was a class action lawsuit for the pads but it didn't go forward from 2019 model year. I also note a TSB for LC500 cars but not RC F. I probably will drive to lexus dealer this week and complain loudly, just to see what happens.
Old 12-26-21, 11:38 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,951 Likes on 1,374 Posts

Have you bedded the brakes in?

https://brakeperformance.com/bedding-in-rotors.php
Old 12-26-21, 11:53 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,802 Posts

It has been discussed extensively. They are high friction pads that are meant for repeated high speed slow-downs on the race track without brake fade. Lexus had issued a TSB for people who don't want the squealing and dust replacing the pads with other brake pads free of charge. However, they don't have as short a stopping distance and cannot be used as hard as the OEM brakes can be.

Mine still squeal after 5+ years on the car and I am totally fine with it as it is only at slow speeds and when they are cold. it. It usually stops once the brakes warm up. Once they are done in the next couple of years, I will most likely get the RR racing lightweight brakes.

Porsche is the king and they even went as far as making a video on it for concerned customers

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 12-26-21 at 12:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sqlboy2000 (12-26-21)
Old 12-26-21, 01:09 PM
sqlboy2000
Advanced

Received 400 Likes on 275 Posts

Race car = squeaky brakes. C6 was the same way.
If you don't track your car there's aftermarket options that don't squeak as much and don't produce nearly as much dust but are just fine for spirited daily driving.
Here's a good thread on the matter I had started a while back that covers the Lexus TSB as well as good aftermarket pads.

I'm drowning in brake dust - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Yri (12-26-21)
Old 12-26-21, 04:36 PM
Yri
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

I think Rolla and I are probably the rare minority that actually doesn't really care about brake squeal. Some people seem to like to buy sports cars, then complain about the sports car being a sports car. I personally never understood it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Yri:
DreDilla (12-29-21), LoSt180 (12-27-21)
Old 12-26-21, 04:53 PM
SailorTPD
Intermediate

Noise is objectionable in a luxury brand (period). As we've seen in a myriad of videos, these RC F cars are just "so so" on the track and not true sports cars, just kick *** muscle cars that are supposed to be comfortable and luxurious. They come with sound systems like a street car, seats that adjust like a street car....it is sold as a luxury car for driving on the street, it ought not squeak. As I said before, wife is pissed. Had I had the opportunity, I would have not chosen brembo brakes nor summer tires.
Old 12-26-21, 07:26 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by SailorTPD
Noise is objectionable in a luxury brand (period). As we've seen in a myriad of videos, these RC F cars are just "so so" on the track and not true sports cars, just kick *** muscle cars that are supposed to be comfortable and luxurious. They come with sound systems like a street car, seats that adjust like a street car....it is sold as a luxury car for driving on the street, it ought not squeak. As I said before, wife is pissed. Had I had the opportunity, I would have not chosen brembo brakes nor summer tires.
That is more of a question for the product planning of Lexus. F division was created to lower the average age of a Lexus buyer when it creeped up close to 60s. We used to perceive Lexus as a boring, comfortable and cruiser type luxury cars that are not engaging/exciting to drive until a skunkworks project created the ISF. It was supposed appeal to younger and wealthy buyers starting with the Lexus ISF in 2007. It was created to compete with the class of M3, C63, RS4 etc. All of them follow the same formula. A lot of horsepower with a good balance of handling/track performance with luxury and practicality. I was going to buy an E90 M3 circa 2016 and then changed my mind to wait for the right RCF.

No one is claimed RCF is a hardcore track car (even the RCF TE). Still, close to 1.00g on the skidpad, makes it abundantly clear that it was not created as a fast luxury/comfortable oriented point A to B driver either. It is for those of us who drive it on the street and occasionally like to take it to the track (or spirited drive on the twisties) where it can take punishment lap after lap without overheating, without fading or failing and still giving consistent lap times.

Still, if you don't like to have such high performing brakes on your car, Lexus has issued a TSB to replace them with pads that have no noise and dust.

When it comes to pure luxury Lexus, Lexus cates to those customers with the ES350 and the LS500 or the IS300/IS350/IS500 for the customers with luxury, comfort and lots of space to be their primary goal. In case of the IS500 that has the same engine and transmission as the RCF with folding seats, but not the cooling, stiff suspension/chassis, brakes etc. RCF is definitely not following that formula.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 12-26-21 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-27-21, 04:46 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 782 Likes on 485 Posts
Arrow

LOL, is this for real or are we getting trolled? Complaining about high performance brakes squealing? If you didn't want brembo brakes or summer tires, then you probably should have purchased a RC350 or something along those lines..

I feel like this is a given with ANY type of performance brakes. IE: Looking at the sheer size of them should be an indication that they are going to squeak. Every car I have that has brembos (RCF, STi, Mercedes) the brakes squeak at one point or time. Not all the time, but generally when you are in a parking lot, and or coming up to a stop sign or when they are cold. Ever been in a car with CCB's? Those squeak too, insanely until they get up to temp...
Both Porsche and Lexus have officially released videos indicating that squeaking brakes is a normal thing with high performance brakes. I feel like this is why we can't get certain feature or items on cars. The manufactures give us XYZ, then people complain about this or that, so they dial it back. Then as they go forward rather than giving us another option or improvement, they don't because they look back at all the people complaining about something silly and note that it's not worth doing because of a TSB or something they issued to fix said problem which was never a problem to begin with, but they are looking at time and $$$ which is what they care about.

I wouldn't say that the RCF is a track beast (that even includes the track edition to me), but a 500hp car in my opinion isn't a slouch, thus you need/want some big *** brakes to slow the car down... I'm sure if you complain to the dealer they will just put on the TSB pads which will stop the noise but have less stopping power/not as great performance. Doesn't seem like you're driving it as such so having worse pads that dust less and make no noise is probably fine.

Brake squeak to me just makes it so that more people are looking at my car when I pull up. I enjoy it actually. Perhaps I'd feel differently if the car was a POS and falling apart. My motorcycle with floating rotors makes clicking noises and the brakes squeak on that thing too. *shrugs*

-Nigel
Old 12-27-21, 08:25 AM
SailorTPD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
That is more of a question for the product planning of Lexus. F division was created to lower the average age of a Lexus buyer when it creeped up close to 60s.

rcf key person - YouTube
I think you are right. Lexus does not give the options that, say, MBZ does in configuring your car the way you drive it. There "ought" to be choices for brakes and tires. MBZ did when I configured the last one. I knew I didn't want track brakes nor summer tires so those weren't selected. Wife especially is irritated since she does not want to drive a new car that squeals when coming to a stop in city driving. Lexus is "one size fits all" and is one of the things I dislike about the brand. What I like about the brand is reliability and inexpensive maintenance over many years. It does those things better than any American or EU brand. The things I like about it go a long way to explaining why the ave age of owner has crept up to near 60, we older folks are less impressed with fancy and more impressed with reliability-since that is what we've proven ourselves to be.

Last edited by SailorTPD; 12-27-21 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-27-21, 10:32 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,951 Likes on 1,374 Posts

^^^^I'm, an older folk, 83 - and unlike you prefer HiPo brakes and tires. Makes the car safer in difficult situations IMO. I'll ask the question again - Have You Bedded in the Brakes

If you prefer lower performing brake pads, there's always the aftermarket.
Old 12-27-21, 11:05 AM
kukudm
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

I tried TSB pads on my GSF (same brakes as the regular non-TE RCF), no more squeal, but they suck in terms of brake feel and perceived stopping power (I didn't scientifically measure it but they do feel a lot worse than the original pads). If you complain loudly, this might be the pad end up on your car.
Old 12-27-21, 11:49 AM
SailorTPD
Intermediate

The car has 500 miles on it, bedding should have happened by now. I'll let the dealership deal with it tomorrow when I go there if they think it needs to be worn down more. Judging by all the dust already, there's plenty of pad everywhere, including a coating on the rotors. The squeal didn't start until local temp dropped to the low 50s, so it is likely a seasonal issue for me. BTW, You aren't really safer with summer vs all season tires, especially if you are driving in 45-50 degree weather or in the rain. Brakes are important but unless you are driving recklessly, you aren't safer with 80 to zero in 4 versus 5 seconds. My wife's old Lexus ES also had squeaky brakes occasionally, but never this loud like a stuck pig.
Old 12-27-21, 12:23 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

I had LC with the brake squeal and massive dust. Dealer changed them to low dust as per TSB. I noticed zero braking performance. Lexus are NOT track cars given the weight, and neither brake pad will rectify that. Go with the low dust, no squeal option. They should have been that way from the factory on all Lexus IMO.
SailorTPD (12-27-21)
Old 12-27-21, 05:27 PM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 346 Likes on 228 Posts

I don't think I have ever braked lightly with my RCF. I am a late braker. I think nothing scares a passenger more than late braking. You can do speed runs all day long, but wait to the last minute to brake and people wake up.
Old 12-28-21, 03:55 PM
buister
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Sorry for being off topic. For me, this car is no joy when I have to drive with my wife in it. It's meant for driving alone. Why would you drive someone in a car that is not appreciated? Guys, I don't think I'm alone on this.

Quick Reply: Brake Squeal