RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Hello and first question… Exhaust (not what you expect)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-22, 08:55 PM
jnadz
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Hello and first question… Exhaust (not what you expect)

Hello everyone. I just purchased a 2020 RC F last week and I’m eagerly awaiting delivery. First thing I have planned is a full wrap with Xpel Stealth for a satin white protected paint job, but the second thing I’d like to upgrade is the exhaust. I’m mainly interested in added power but unlike many, I’m not looking for excessive volume. Sure, I want to hear the V8 rumble but I don’t want it screaming at me. Which exhaust do you think fits that description best (great flow for power but modest sound)? How about headers? Same question. And…Oh… Adding the RR supercharger down the road is not out of the question, so I would want all initial mods to play nice with that.

Last edited by jnadz; 01-05-22 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-05-22, 09:05 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Congratulations on your 2020 RCF. You will love it especially when it is in SPORT+/MANUAL mode.

Power gain exhaust wise, you will need to get a full catback exhaust and the power gains with a full catback exhaust are in the 20 - 25 whp range. There is Miesterschaft valved exhaust that advertises a +43 whp gain on their before/after dyno. Headers give the biggest gains of all bolt-on mods, which is around +30 whp. So a full exhaust, intake system and headers altogether should give around +50 whp. An ECU tune by RR Racing gives a peak rpm gain of +8 whp (+17 whp in the midrange).

Old 01-05-22, 09:09 PM
jnadz
Driver School Candidate

Will headers make as much difference without a catback exhaust behind them? How about sound difference with headers alone? I guess I’m just trying to decide which order to go in
Old 01-05-22, 09:36 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by jnadz
Will headers make as much difference without a catback exhaust behind them? How about sound difference with headers alone? I guess I’m just trying to decide which order to go in
Yes, headers should give about +30 whp all by itself. It will sound louder/more aggressive than stock, but not obviously as loud/aggressive with both exhaust/headers.
Old 01-06-22, 12:14 AM
fchdx
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

I would get the exhaust first, as I'm not 100% sure if a tune is out for 2020 cars yet.

Only 2015 and 2016 is available on RR Racing, while delicious tuning says only 2015-2016, but their drop down lets you select up to 2022, so you may need to contact them before ordering any headers.

Though if you go to your own tuner they may be able to crack the 2017+ ECU, but just something to consider before you get headers.
The following users liked this post:
RCFTally (01-06-22)
Old 01-06-22, 06:11 AM
LoSt180
Advanced

Received 605 Likes on 329 Posts

The "go to" exhaust for a mild boost in sound, no drone, but lets you know there's a V8 is the Invidia cat back. You'll find several threads here for that one that have installation tips and links to youtube clips. I have that one and love it. I added PPE headers and now it's pretty loud but can still have a conversation while driving on the highway. PPE is working on a new header design that has a cat built in, so I'd expect that to temper the sound of headers quite a bit.

So far there's no tune available for 2017+ RCFs, I'm not sure how RR is handling supercharger installations, maybe swapping in the older ECU? You don't need a tune to run headers though.
Old 01-06-22, 07:42 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 1,416 Likes on 649 Posts

Your performance goals for 2020 model are limited because they can not be tuned yet. I would start with a valved exhaust like our bazooka valvetronic. This will let you run it open for the most power and sound but shut it down for cold starts and neighborhood cruises with the push of a button. This will be good for 25whp as mentioned and be a good foundation for headers and SC down the road. You can add headers but you will be trying different methods to defeat the check engine light. Some people have good luck with it. In the next few months, we hope to be releasing the new PPE EPA catted headers. This will be perfect for your goals.

-Justin
Sales
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

3ISRC (01-06-22)
Old 01-06-22, 08:36 AM
MCB1970
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by LoSt180
The "go to" exhaust for a mild boost in sound, no drone, but lets you know there's a V8 is the Invidia cat back. You'll find several threads here for that one that have installation tips and links to youtube clips. I have that one and love it. I added PPE headers and now it's pretty loud but can still have a conversation while driving on the highway. PPE is working on a new header design that has a cat built in, so I'd expect that to temper the sound of headers quite a bit.

So far there's no tune available for 2017+ RCFs, I'm not sure how RR is handling supercharger installations, maybe swapping in the older ECU? You don't need a tune to run headers though.
I have the Invidia cat back exhaust and just bought PPE headers. Do you get a CEL with this setup?
Old 01-06-22, 09:01 AM
LoSt180
Advanced

Originally Posted by MCB1970
I have the Invidia cat back exhaust and just bought PPE headers. Do you get a CEL with this setup?
No CEL. Two things that you need to be mindful of however: 1) ensure proper gasket is used (a flat 3" 2-bolt gasket since the OEM style one provided by PPE will leak with this exhaust), and 2) 90 deg anti-foulers installed in the down stream sensors.
MCB1970 (01-06-22)
Old 01-06-22, 09:40 AM
MCB1970
Pit Crew

No CEL. Two things that you need to be mindful of however: 1) ensure proper gasket is used (a flat 3" 2-bolt gasket since the OEM style one provided by PPE will leak with this exhaust), and 2) 90 deg anti-foulers installed in the down stream sensors.
Are the headers supposed to come with the anti-foulers or do you have to buy them separately? I know the kit comes with gaskets and O2 sensor wire extenders.
Old 01-06-22, 10:52 AM
LoSt180
Advanced

Originally Posted by MCB1970
Are the headers supposed to come with the anti-foulers or do you have to buy them separately? I know the kit comes with gaskets and O2 sensor wire extenders.
Mine came with the antifoulers, but I'm told PPE doesn't include them anymore because trying to stay off EPA radar. Hopefully some of the resellers will include them, or at least make them easy to find.
MCB1970 (01-06-22)
Old 01-06-22, 11:09 AM
MCB1970
Pit Crew

Mine came with the antifoulers, but I'm told PPE doesn't include them anymore because trying to stay off EPA radar. Hopefully some of the resellers will include them, or at least make them easy to find.
Got it - thanks for the information!
Old 01-06-22, 07:05 PM
jnadz
Driver School Candidate

RRRacing… Am I correct to assume the catted header will eliminate the CEL issue? Also, have you tested the HP gains and is it “open” enough to pair well with a possible supercharger down the line?
Old 01-07-22, 06:57 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 1,416 Likes on 649 Posts

Originally Posted by jnadz
RRRacing… Am I correct to assume the catted header will eliminate the CEL issue? Also, have you tested the HP gains and is it “open” enough to pair well with a possible supercharger down the line?
Yes, the goal for these headers is to provide a built in, high quality, EPA-friendly cat option. This should eliminate the CEL. We are testing the headers as I type and we'll produce the results when available.

Also, these are the cats that we currently use and recommend with all Supercharger kits currently so they will be SC friendly as well.

-Justin
RR Sales

Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 01-07-22, 07:59 AM
BrandonX
Driver

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Love my Invidia! NO DRONE. which is one of my top priorities.
3ISRC (01-09-22)

Quick Reply: Hello and first question… Exhaust (not what you expect)