RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Planning to Buy RCF - Help me with "Poormans" Track Edition

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-22, 05:47 PM
Patek14
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Planning to Buy RCF - Help me with "Poormans" Track Edition

I've decided to lose my mind and buy a 2nd Lexus - so I've started saving for an RCF and am making progress.
Ideally, I would love an RCF Track edition. However, I have no intent to spend $90K on a used one, plus I prefer full leather interiors.

Therefore...how can I make a regular RCF, more like a tracker edition, preferably with OEM parts? For example;
  1. Can you buy components like the fixed wing from an RCF track edition?
  2. What weight savings changes are suggested?
  3. Any suggestions on vendors for decent (and affordable) carbon ceramics?
I'd certainly by eyeing a lithium battery and carbon ceramics. It would be nice to have a big-*** OEM fixed wing however. (gotta be OEM). I find a GT3's wing sweet - and a ricer wing horrific.

I fully intend to track this car as well. If I could drop ~$40K-45K into a car, I'd be willing to drop another $10-12K into upgrades for performance.
Old 03-18-22, 06:24 PM
baboya96
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

OP - what do you want the track edition? Is it to actual take advantage of technology TE version provides over standard so when you ‘track’ this car, you’re performing better? Or do you want these accessories to look like TE? If you break out all the differences between TE and standard and put $ for each item, I’m certain it’ll be more than $10k-$12k. If it wasn’t Lexus wouldn’t have built TE and posted its asking price.

I’ve seen a lot of mid $80s to low $90s for certified TE which i think is a bargain in current market. Unless you can’t swing that price tag, i think it’s a better buy than buying a standard one and try to add items to make it look like TE.
Old 03-18-22, 06:45 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,778 Posts

I take you are planning on budgeting $45K to purchase the car? If you are planning on spending $45K to purchase an RCF, you might not find much in that price range unless it is a beaten up one and/or with questionable history as RCFs even the cheapest/higher mileage and well-maintained seem to be $50+K for a decently spec'ed RCF.

If you want to buy a used RCF and want the carbon fiber roof then you will have to go with a carbon fiber/TVD package RCF which all things being equal, would be a few grand more. Good thing is, you can find a carbon fiber/TVD RCF for all model years. However, the carbon fiber roof comes with the car and an OEM carbon fiber spoiler, which is the active spoiler unlike the fixed wing spoiler in the RCF TE. Carbon fiber roof and the TVD (torque vectoring differential) both are great tools to have if you are going to go to the track. I have it and it is amazing in how it makes the car feel much smaller, lighter and agile even in the slow/tight turns.

Regarding weight savings, here are a few things that will reduce the weight

AntiGravity Lithium Ion Battery (I saved 30 lbs by going from OEM to a 24 Ah AG-H6-RS battery, but some of the smaller batteries can save up to almost 40 lbs, but you have to be careful with the accessories).
Two piece brake rotor/pads (about 35 lbs weight savings)
Carbon fiber hood (we already have aluminum hood so if you swap the hood for a carbon fiber hood, it will most for aesthetics as it barely saves about 7 lbs)
Lightweight wheels/slick racing tires (about 5 lbs per corner savings so about 20 lbs rotational mass savings in all four corners)
LIghtweight racing seats (Our OEM seats are 70 lbs each so if you can find two racing front seats that weigh around 25 - 30 lbs, you save about 80 lbs just on the front seats)

So with just these few things, you will save around 180 lbs without giving up too much in luxury or convenience. If you decide to delete the rear seat then it will save another 80 - 90 lbs bringing the total up to

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 03-18-22 at 06:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ALargeTom (03-19-22)
Old 03-18-22, 11:59 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 545 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
If you decide to delete the rear seat then it will save another 80 - 90 lbs bringing the total up to
I no smart in math! Don't keep me in suspense!....LOL
The following 2 users liked this post by cvt:
05RollaXRS (03-19-22), vraa (03-21-22)
Old 03-19-22, 12:03 AM
cvt
Racer

Received 545 Likes on 361 Posts

.....titanium exhaust but it may bust your $12k budget if you also adding all of Rolla's suggestions.
Old 03-19-22, 12:17 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cvt
I no smart in math! Don't keep me in suspense!....LOL
Lol...did not notice I did not finish the sentence. I think it might be around 250 - 270 lbs weight reduction altogether with the rear seat delete included.
Old 03-19-22, 12:24 AM
CrimsonF
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Lol...did not notice I did not finish the sentence. I think it might be around 250 - 270 lbs weight reduction altogether with the rear seat delete included.
I think the rear seats have been weighted closer to 45 pounds iirc.

All great suggestions for OP however!
​​​​

Old 03-19-22, 12:33 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CrimsonF
I think the rear seats have been weighted closer to 45 pounds iirc.

All great suggestions for OP however!
​​​​
Really? My estimate was they are heavier the front seats at 70 lbs apiece. Probably, because the front seats have all of the powered adjustment motors, heating and cooling elements, which add to the weight while the rear does not so it sound believable.
Old 03-19-22, 09:27 AM
ALargeTom
Pit Crew

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

well, which part from TE attracts you?
1. the name, because it's special or limited so you want to get one ?
2. the track edition performance ?
3. the matte paint ? blue / white / grey matte paint ?
4. giant wing ?
5. the look of 2020 new design ?

For look
TBH, you can get a 2020 - 2022 base RCF with Carbon fiber package, and put vinyl wrap on it.
And add a CF wing(disable auto active wing)
or
get a base RCF and change CF spoiler and skirt. Then put vinyl wrap

For performance
I believe Rolla explained it really well to you already.
The following users liked this post:
05RollaXRS (03-19-22)
Old 03-19-22, 06:41 PM
AlexAviles
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 81 Posts

Some people have attempted to buy the track edition parts from lexus without success. Those that have, have paid up to, I believe, $12k for the hood alone! Those cf parts are made with the utmost amazing quality and are super expensive and probably not even close to being worth the cost. Just buy a good RC F, trust me, you’ll have no problem finding ways to spend a lot of money on aftermarket parts for the track. If you love it on track, wait until the right moment to trade up to a TE.
Old 03-20-22, 04:23 AM
Patek14
Rookie

Originally Posted by baboya96
OP - what do you want the track edition? Is it to actual take advantage of technology TE version provides over standard so when you ‘track’ this car, you’re performing better? Or do you want these accessories to look like TE? A bit of both - mostly better performance. Really, the only Aesthetic thing I care about is the fixed wing. If you break out all the differences between TE and standard and put $ for each item Wouldn't have to be the whole gamut of things - really just the things that were the most useful in terms of performance-for-dollar...some things clearly have a good ROI, others the marginal benefit for the marginal cost is just not worth it, I’m certain it’ll be more than $10k-$12k. If it wasn’t Lexus wouldn’t have built TE and posted its asking price.

I’ve seen a lot of mid $80s to low $90s Still more than I'd be willing to spend for certified TE which i think is a bargain in current market. Unless you can’t swing that price tag, i think it’s a better buy than buying a standard one and try to add items to make it look like TE.
please see above in orange, in line!
Old 03-20-22, 04:32 AM
Patek14
Rookie

I take you are planning on budgeting $45K to purchase the car? If you are planning on spending $45K to purchase an RCF, you might not find much in that price range unless it is a beaten up one and/or with questionable history as RCFs even the cheapest/higher mileage and well-maintained seem to be $50+K for a decently spec'ed RCF.

From what I recall, BEFORE the sillyness of covid, these things were in the high $30K's. I'm seeing clean carfax, ~45K mile 2015's for the high 40K's now (like $48,000). It's my understanding the used car market is slowly cooling, so it is my hope we'll be closer to "normal" in 6 to 12 months.

If you want to buy a used RCF and want the carbon fiber roof then you will have to go with a carbon fiber/TVD package RCF which all things being equal, would be a few grand more. Good thing is, you can find a carbon fiber/TVD RCF for all model years. However, the carbon fiber roof comes with the car and an OEM carbon fiber spoiler, which is the active spoiler unlike the fixed wing spoiler in the RCF TE. Carbon fiber roof and the TVD (torque vectoring differential) both are great tools to have if you are going to go to the track. I have it and it is amazing in how it makes the car feel much smaller, lighter and agile even in the slow/tight turns.

Regarding weight savings, here are a few things that will reduce the weight

AntiGravity Lithium Ion Battery (I saved 30 lbs by going from OEM to a 24 Ah AG-H6-RS battery, but some of the smaller batteries can save up to almost 40 lbs, but you have to be careful with the accessories). This is perfect! I was looking for a model/site with exact models for ideas and this is awesome. This is def worth the $700 for sure! Hell, I might get one in my IS350C when the battery craps out for good too.

Two piece brake rotor/pads (about 35 lbs weight savings) Any suggestions on manufacturer? I saw RR racing sells steel ones which save ~30lb, much cheaper than swapping to carbon ceramics.

Carbon fiber hood (we already have aluminum hood so if you swap the hood for a carbon fiber hood, it will most for aesthetics as it barely saves about 7 lbs) oh boy lol! this would be a "nope" haha

Lightweight wheels/slick racing tires (about 5 lbs per corner savings so about 20 lbs rotational mass savings in all four corners)
LIghtweight racing seats (Our OEM seats are 70 lbs each so if you can find two racing front seats that weigh around 25 - 30 lbs, you save about 80 lbs just on the front seats)

So with just these few things, you will save around 180 lbs without giving up too much in luxury or convenience. If you decide to delete the rear seat then it will save another 80 - 90 lbs bringing the total up to
See Above in Red!
PS, how has 24 Ah AG-H6-RS battery, been for cold starts? I live in the mid-atlantic, so I have to deal with cold winters

Last edited by Patek14; 03-20-22 at 04:38 AM.
Old 03-20-22, 04:35 AM
Patek14
Rookie

Originally Posted by ALargeTom
well, which part from TE attracts you?
1. the name, because it's special or limited so you want to get one ?
2. the track edition performance ? Mostly this!
3. the matte paint ? blue / white / grey matte paint ?
4. giant wing ? I actually like this lol. I dislike those stupid ricer wings on civics. But I like when the OEM puts a giant wing on their car, like a 911 GT3.
5. the look of 2020 new design ?

For look
TBH, you can get a 2020 - 2022 base RCF with Carbon fiber package, and put vinyl wrap on it.
And add a CF wing(disable auto active wing)
or
get a base RCF and change CF spoiler and skirt. Then put vinyl wrap

For performance
I believe Rolla explained it really well to you already.
For #1, #3, and #5 = def not!

For #2 and #4, yup!

Based on the feedback here so far, I'd be 100% for sure swapping battery and to lighter rotors. It would however be ideal to get my hands on an OEM CF wing and or Wing/truck set and swap.
Old 03-20-22, 06:06 AM
Yri
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

Well, the rear wing on the TE is more of a cosmetic thing than a functional thing. Having a custom (but not obnoxious) wing would probably provide a better looking and mostly functional alternative. As far as the CC brakes, in a car with brake discs and calipers almost as large as the wheel itself, they're kind of a sales pitch. You could easily achieve the same effect as CC brakes for a lot cheaper by buying track pads and two piece rotors (as Rolla said).
Old 03-20-22, 09:42 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Patek14
See Above in Red!
PS, how has 24 Ah AG-H6-RS battery, been for cold starts? I live in the mid-atlantic, so I have to deal with cold winters

From what I recall, BEFORE the sillyness of covid, these things were in the high $30K's. I'm seeing clean carfax, ~45K mile 2015's for the high 40K's now (like $48,000). It's my understanding the used car market is slowly cooling, so it is my hope we'll be closer to "normal" in 6 to 12 months.
High-30s even those times were for cars with lower/close to base specs, high mileage (like 60+ K miles) and possibly without full maintenance records. We used to dissect those on these forums. It was really at low low end where you could find some in the high-30s. Even at that tine, the well maintained early 2015, decently spec'ed, clean and lower mileage ones (no more than 30K miles) were the 40s. Mileage is often a big factor in determining the resale.

Even today, you can find very high mileage examples like this one at 82K miles even with carbon/TVD going for $43K so mileage is always going to be a big factor in how much you pay for it.

Autotrader

This is perfect! I was looking for a model/site with exact models for ideas and this is awesome. This is def worth the $700 for sure! Hell, I might get one in my IS350C when the battery craps out for good too.
Totally worth it. It just does so many things like remote jumpstart with fobs and has internal battery management system. Also, it cranks the car really hard/fast. Maybe, it is a placebo effect or not, but I think probably because of alternator running stronger and more efficiently it causes less parasitic loss resulting in a more stronger feel of the car running.

Any suggestions on manufacturer? I saw RR racing sells steel ones which save ~30lb, much cheaper than swapping to carbon ceramics.
Yeah, RR Racing was what I was talking about. Fairly popular. Also, remember you could do bolt-ons and gain another +50 whp with intake/headers/exhaust etc.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 03-20-22 at 09:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Planning to Buy RCF - Help me with "Poormans" Track Edition