RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Lexus RCF Making A Weird Noise.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-22, 10:38 PM
hieuphanrx
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lexus RCF Making A Weird Noise.

My 2020 RCF Track Edition is making a weird noise. It primarily happens when I'm driving on an inclined road, at low speeds (around 500-1000 rpm), and when I first start moving from a stop. The noise goes away as I begin to accelerate. It doesn't happen all the time, and I've been in a car with a technician before and we couldn't reproduce the sound. But it was really bad today. It began happening after I went over a very steep speed bump a little too fast. Does anyone know what this is?
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_2289.mov (17.33 MB, 178 views)
The following users liked this post:
vraa (03-22-22)
Old 03-21-22, 11:11 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,474 Likes on 1,779 Posts

Congrats on your '20 RCF TE and welcome. Is this a humming noise? Do you hear it when the car is idling? It sure sounds like a humming noise. If that is the case then it might be the infamous low pressure fuel pump in the rear that is making that noise. It was something only in the very early 2015 builds of the RCF that had a faulty low pressure fuel pump and was replaced in a TSB. Lexus re-designed the fuel pump and has never been an issue in the late 2015 onwards builds. Not sure if that is the exact reason, but that is the only thing that kind of have the same symptoms.
hieuphanrx (03-22-22)
Old 03-22-22, 05:50 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

I HAVE THE SAME SOUND!!! I THOUGHT IT WAS MY HEADERS!!!

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU FIND OUT!!

I HAVE CONTACTED MY LEXUS CONTACT!!!!! WOW!!!

WHAT A THREAD TO WAKE UP TO!!!!!!

**** LEXUS, 100k special edition car and it makes grinding noises like things aren't installed properly!!!!! PASSIONATE PURSUIT OF PERFECTION MY ***

EDIT - I will update you when I find out more info, if any other track edition or fuji edition drivers have this sound please let me know, my lexus contact has already requested I bring the car in for them to examine it, I'll send along your video

Last edited by vraa; 03-22-22 at 05:53 AM.
hieuphanrx (03-22-22)
Old 03-22-22, 07:41 AM
hieuphanrx
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Congrats on your '20 RCF TE and welcome. Is this a humming noise? Do you hear it when the car is idling? It sure sounds like a humming noise. If that is the case then it might be the infamous low pressure fuel pump in the rear that is making that noise. It was something only in the very early 2015 builds of the RCF that had a faulty low pressure fuel pump and was replaced in a TSB. Lexus re-designed the fuel pump and has never been an issue in the late 2015 onwards builds. Not sure if that is the exact reason, but that is the only thing that kind of have the same symptoms.
Thank You! It is the humming noise while in idle.
It sounds like it’s coming more from the front of the car and not the back.

vraa (03-22-22)
Old 03-22-22, 07:43 AM
hieuphanrx
10th Gear

Originally Posted by vraa
I HAVE THE SAME SOUND!!! I THOUGHT IT WAS MY HEADERS!!!

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU FIND OUT!!

I HAVE CONTACTED MY LEXUS CONTACT!!!!! WOW!!!

WHAT A THREAD TO WAKE UP TO!!!!!!

**** LEXUS, 100k special edition car and it makes grinding noises like things aren't installed properly!!!!! PASSIONATE PURSUIT OF PERFECTION MY ***

EDIT - I will update you when I find out more info, if any other track edition or fuji edition drivers have this sound please let me know, my lexus contact has already requested I bring the car in for them to examine it, I'll send along your video
Thanks! I’ll try to bring it in again later this week and keep you updated also. The dealers that I have gone to have been very nonchalant but something obviously isn’t right.
vraa (03-22-22)
Old 03-22-22, 08:28 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Yes I can confirm the sound comes from the front

I THOUGHT it might be a wheel hub/bearing but my car has less than 10k miles on it - I thought it was related to my headers, however your car is stock right???

If you have any notes of what your dealers have looked at, pass them to me, I will pass them to my sales lady, the service advisor, and the service tech

I will relay you any information I receive, my appointment for drop off is tomorrow at noon CST

My friend says the sound is similar to a whale dying and seeking out it's last ****
Old 03-22-22, 09:27 AM
hieuphanrx
10th Gear

Yes I can confirm the sound comes from the front

I THOUGHT it might be a wheel hub/bearing but my car has less than 10k miles on it - I thought it was related to my headers, however your car is stock right???

If you have any notes of what your dealers have looked at, pass them to me, I will pass them to my sales lady, the service advisor, and the service tech

I will relay you any information I receive, my appointment for drop off is tomorrow at noon CST

My friend says the sound is similar to a whale dying and seeking out it's last ****
Same! My car only has 9k miles on it, so I can’t imagine anything is worn out. It is fully stocked, I never modified or did any kind of work with it.

I don’t have any notes unfortunately. I went to two dealers. One of them I sat in the car with the technician for a short drive and couldn’t reproduce the sound. So they just shook it off and never took a closer look. The second dealer told me I would have to leave the car and let the technician drive up to 30-40 miles on it and I wasn’t ready to do it at the time.

A whale dying is exactly what it sounds like. That’s what I told my service advisor but at the time I didn’t have it on video. Let me know how it goes!
vraa (03-23-22)
Old 03-23-22, 07:12 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Originally Posted by hieuphanrx

A whale dying is exactly what it sounds like.
They think me mad—Starbuck does; but I'm demoniac, I am madness maddened!

Old 03-23-22, 10:34 PM
hieuphanrx
10th Gear

They think me mad—Starbuck does; but I'm demoniac, I am madness maddened!
Were they able to find out the issue?
Old 03-24-22, 07:18 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

WSL put one of their senior techs on it, I told them to take their time, I said I'll follow up in a week

No update yet
Old 03-24-22, 12:27 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,559 Likes on 679 Posts

If it's the sort of humming noise I heard from the OP's audio, It sounds the same as my CCM brakes when they were new. I don't hear it anymore but I can make it happen when stopped in gear, brakes on, then lightly release to let the car roll and then put pressure on the brakes but not enough to stop the car, kinda like dragging the brakes lightly. It's coming from the CCM rotors. pads could be lightly dragging. Just my guess
Old 03-24-22, 02:18 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

I got a text a few minutes ago from the service advisor, he said the tech is able to duplicate the sound now
Old 03-24-22, 02:35 PM
picklebush
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I got a text a few minutes ago from the service advisor, he said the tech is able to duplicate the sound now
My money is on the high pressure fuel pump.
Old 03-24-22, 03:53 PM
hieuphanrx
10th Gear

Just dropped the vehicle off at the dealership. They will try to recreate the problem. Let me know if you get any specifics so I can text my service advisor.
Old 03-28-22, 04:12 PM
hieuphanrx
10th Gear

The technician could not reproduce the sound and when they did the inspection, they could not find anything

Quick Reply: Lexus RCF Making A Weird Noise.