RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-22, 08:31 AM
RandallNYC
Pit Crew

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Dead Battery

I got lazy over the winter and didn’t start the car enough. The car wouldn’t turn over at all. I connected it to a jumper pack to get it started. I let it idle for 30 minutes. I bought a Battery Tender the next day but it was too late. The battery is too dead to be saved. One dealership quoted me $250 and another $300. I’m doing it myself because I’m not being bothered with a tow there. It’s bad to drive modern cars on a weak battery and can damage other stuff. So the question is, should I go with an OEM battery (which I think is an interstate), or something else/better? Does it really even matter nowadays? It seems everything is so cheaply made.
Old 03-31-22, 08:37 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,788 Posts

I replaced the OEM battery with AntiGravity AG-H6-RS battery and did it in my own garage. Was fairly simple installation as long as you open the clips that are attached to the bracket holding the cables. One of the best purchases I have ever made, It reduces weight by 30 lbs (the 24 Ah version I bought), starts the car ridiculous fast, does not lose charge even after sitting for a few weeks, has an internal battery management system that prevents it from draining the battery completely so that the internal jump start feature could be used in case it is sitting for many months.

It costs more than the OEM battery, but it is totally worth it. Also, it is supposed to last twice as long as the conventional lead acid battery.
The following users liked this post:
RandallNYC (03-31-22)
Old 03-31-22, 09:06 AM
LoSt180
Advanced

Received 602 Likes on 327 Posts

The RCF battery is a fairly uncommon H6R size. Nothing wrong with getting one from the dealership or seeing if your local Autozone has one in stock.

The Antigravity Lithium batteries are neat in that they include a reserve feature in order to jump start the car, but at $750 for a car battery, it's probably more feasible to just use a battery tender during long storage periods.
The following 2 users liked this post by LoSt180:
nigel821 (03-31-22), RandallNYC (03-31-22)
Old 03-31-22, 09:14 AM
RandallNYC
Pit Crew

I just googled the Antigravity battery. Wow. That has to be the best battery that money can buy. Unfortunately I can’t afford it at the moment. I have to repair my 4 slightly curbed wheels (so pissed at myself), and must have Apple CarPlay added for $199 from the dealership this summer. But I’m seriously considering putting one in my daily next time because it eats batteries.
Old 03-31-22, 10:13 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Get this strongest battery you can afford in the correct size, mentioned above. Make sure it's an AGM Battery.
Old 03-31-22, 10:17 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 778 Likes on 482 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by RandallNYC
I just googled the Antigravity battery. Wow. That has to be the best battery that money can buy. Unfortunately I can’t afford it at the moment. I have to repair my 4 slightly curbed wheels (so pissed at myself), and must have Apple CarPlay added for $199 from the dealership this summer. But I’m seriously considering putting one in my daily next time because it eats batteries.
PLEASE do NOT pay the $199 for apple car play update. You can easily do this yourself for free.

Apple CarPlay Update Files (18 Camry/Sienna & 18/19 Lexus Models) | Toyota Nation Forum

Go there and read. You'll have Apple car play in an hour... I did my wife's 18' NX a couple years ago and her friends NX. Apple Car play was a game changer for her vehicle but there is no way in hell I'd pay the dealer $200 to plug in a USB drive and go through a couple sequences to initiate the install...

-Nigel
Old 03-31-22, 11:00 AM
SailorTPD
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

The premium price AntiGravity charges is a lot due to being sold only through race oriented outlets as well as putting a very small battery into a mammoth H6 case so it fits where the AGM would fit. Went through this when I switched to a lithium battery in my motorcycle (also not used often). Yah, I did have to put spacers in the area to keep it stable (cut foam). But no need for a trickle charger (in fact, you would ruin the battery by hooking one up). I expect you would find an alternative if you looked around--but it'll likely still be more than a AGM since the lithium is close to "forever" with about 2000 charge/discharge cycles. Make sure it is deep cycle, 12v, at least 24 ah, with BMS (battery management system). You should know or find out the max voltage your alternator puts out since you can have too much charging current if the alternator voltage out is too high.
Old 03-31-22, 02:46 PM
RandallNYC
Pit Crew

Thanks a million I appreciate it!. Lexus almost got me! All I need is an 8GB USB drive, I already have a windows laptop. I'll spend that $199 on better stuff. On a side note, after 5 days on the Battery Tender the green light started flashing. It's still severely damaged and needs replacing.
Old 04-10-22, 04:06 PM
RandallNYC
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by nigel821
PLEASE do NOT pay the $199 for apple car play update. You can easily do this yourself for free.

Apple CarPlay Update Files (18 Camry/Sienna & 18/19 Lexus Models) | Toyota Nation Forum

Go there and read. You'll have Apple car play in an hour... I did my wife's 18' NX a couple years ago and her friends NX. Apple Car play was a game changer for her vehicle but there is no way in hell I'd pay the dealer $200 to plug in a USB drive and go through a couple sequences to initiate the install...

-Nigel
I went out and bought a couple USB sticks and I downloaded the files. However the instructions are now missing. Would you happen to have a copy in your computer? Without the instuctions I don't know how to install the files.

Last edited by RandallNYC; 04-10-22 at 04:07 PM. Reason: typo
vraa (04-10-22)
Old 04-10-22, 05:44 PM
LoSt180
Advanced

Received 602 Likes on 327 Posts

I went out and bought a couple USB sticks and I downloaded the files. However the instructions are now missing. Would you happen to have a copy in your computer? Without the instuctions I don't know how to install the files.
If the links on that website don't work, you can always search for the service bulletin online: L-SB-0028-19
Old 04-13-22, 04:21 AM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

I got lazy over the winter and didn’t start the car enough. The car wouldn’t turn over at all. I connected it to a jumper pack to get it started. I let it idle for 30 minutes. I bought a Battery Tender the next day but it was too late. The battery is too dead to be saved. One dealership quoted me $250 and another $300. I’m doing it myself because I’m not being bothered with a tow there. It’s bad to drive modern cars on a weak battery and can damage other stuff. So the question is, should I go with an OEM battery (which I think is an interstate), or something else/better? Does it really even matter nowadays? It seems everything is so cheaply made.
I believe the OEM battery is made by Panasonic.

Dealers around here charge an insane amount for an OEM battery so I replaced it with an Interstate battery.

I’ve been told the AntiGravitys are really nice but don’t last on cars that aren’t driven everyday.

I could buy 3 Interstates for the cost of 1 Antigravity.
Old 04-13-22, 06:40 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by brendanf
I’ve been told the AntiGravitys are really nice but don’t last on cars that aren’t driven everyday.

I could buy 3 Interstates for the cost of 1 Antigravity.
Ferrari dealers use interstate

AG and braille and lithium batteries are used by the ferrari guys precisely because of that reason - they don't drive the cars often
05RollaXRS (04-13-22)
Old 04-13-22, 06:54 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,788 Posts

Originally Posted by vraa

AG and braille and lithium batteries are used by the ferrari guys precisely because of that reason - they don't drive the cars often
Agreed, I had researched it a lot before purchasing my AG-H6-RS battery. They are supposed to last twice as long as traditional lead acid battery because they lose charge much more slowly than lead acid batteries over time. Also, due to an internal battery management system, the depletion is a lot slower as well.
Old 04-13-22, 03:03 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by vraa

Probably has something to do with Ferraris spending all their time getting repaired.

Yeah I said it. LOL.

KIDDING!!!!
konichiwa3 (04-13-22)
Old 04-15-22, 10:48 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts
Default RCF replacement battery at Lexus dealership

My OEM battery on my 2015 RCF finally gave out and I had to get AAA to come by to jump start.

AAA got it started and tested the OEM battery and it is NO GOOD. I asked AAA if they had a battery in stock and they said NO.

I checked AutoZone and they have one HR6 in stock that costs $190 plus tax.

I called the local Lexus dealership and they have one for $170 (They said it is made by Interstate but they put on a "Lexus" label on it. It is an 84 months battery with free initial 2 year replacement and prorated thereafter to 84 months.) It was almost closing time for them so they could not install it for me. No worries as I am comfortable installing it myself and I did. Took me about an hour and all good. I took some pics and will share when I get a chance.

Quick Reply: Dead Battery