RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Help me decide!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-22, 06:34 PM
initiald2k
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

i would go for the RCF... just because it's not a track-abused car (and its a 10th anniversary edition )
Just a bit more pain with car wash.
Old 04-05-22, 09:44 PM
orys
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by nigel821
I would actually argue that the break in period that is recommended is actually not great. I'd rather have a car that was taken to the track pretty quickly brought up to speed. That's how I normally break in my cars. I do not follow the "go gentle" approach at all. You need the rings to seal and to do it sooner than later so you don't get blow by oil that goes around the rings. The night I bought my car, 5 minutes after owning it and driving it home I was already flooring it and was at triple digit speeds. *shrugs*

All my racing buddies have done the same to their cars that they buy and never had issues of oil consumption or things of that nature. I'd personally be more concerned with the cosmetic and interior stuff if it's damage. Ripped interior or things like that is a no go unless they are repairing it or replacing the seats...otherwise you are looking at a couple thousand for a new seat alone. An engine that is broken in quickly and hard to me is fine and perfectly acceptable.

BTW, post some pictures of both.

-Nigel
Another GS-F just popped up not too far - 2016 with 34K miles certified....
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

Here is the RC-F
https://www.bobsmithbmw.com/inventor...p5bc4k5006990/
If I go with the GSF it would be sight unseen as I don't have the time to go out the Vegas right now. The RC-F is still under original warranty for another 13 months and is lower miles and 3 years younger. The GS-F suspension is non adjustable prior to 2017 I think so ride is harsher perhaps.
In all honesty, I am pretty torn. I already got all the paperwork done on the RC-F and am supposed to pick the car up tomorrow... I am sure I ca cancel the deall. I do prefer the practicality and larger footprint of the GSF, and the interior seems to have more alcantera throughout. However, the RCF is probably more special and arguably better looking.

Last edited by orys; 04-05-22 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-05-22, 10:51 PM
AlexAviles
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 81 Posts

Very very uncommon to hear any bumps or rattles in a Lexus, that would make me say to go with the rcf. The GSF has clearly had the best days of its life used up already.
Old 04-06-22, 06:36 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 782 Likes on 485 Posts

If you have $60k to drop on a car sight unseen and be OK with things that might be out of spec or not to your liking then go with that... personally, that's not for me. UNLESS, I knew the person selling the car. IE: I bought our w211 sight unseen from a forum member in Texas but he did send me all the pictures and videos and after talking several times with him, found out he was a master mechanic, so he did upkeep and took great care of it. With the GSF, you already know it was beat on by people that DGAF because it was a track event car... which who are we kidding, we'd all treat it like that, at an event like that. Having an interior with rips isn't acceptable to me unless it's an old daily beater type of car. $60k+ for a used car, the interior needs to look the part.

Mechanically the GSF is probably fine. I highly doubt track days would destroy the car but it's the unseen stuff that you will probably find later that would be the bothersome part for me. "Oh look, another ding, scratch, rip, tear...etc." And at that point the car is yours.

RCF is limited edition. You will have to change how you take care of the exterior due to the matte paint but overall it's probably going to be more unique... RCF still has warranty (which is probably good, or at least peace of mind), newer tech without that horrible joystick pad thing that the GSF has. Interior stuff: if you want more alcantara you can get it done by someone. Elvin Wong makes pieces so that's always an option.

Can't go wrong with either vehicle but in this case with the two that you have given us, my choice is the RCF because it just seems like a much better deal. With how times are at the moment and probably for some time in the future, IF you don't like the RCF, you will more than likely be able to sell it for what you paid, so you aren't going to be out money. The depreciation has already been absorbed.

-Nigel
Old 04-06-22, 06:38 AM
JSM701
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts

I would go with the RCF, low miles & a very good service history. Previous owner did all the proper maintenance on the RCF.
Old 04-06-22, 08:24 AM
orys
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by nigel821
If you have $60k to drop on a car sight unseen and be OK with things that might be out of spec or not to your liking then go with that... personally, that's not for me. UNLESS, I knew the person selling the car. IE: I bought our w211 sight unseen from a forum member in Texas but he did send me all the pictures and videos and after talking several times with him, found out he was a master mechanic, so he did upkeep and took great care of it. With the GSF, you already know it was beat on by people that DGAF because it was a track event car... which who are we kidding, we'd all treat it like that, at an event like that. Having an interior with rips isn't acceptable to me unless it's an old daily beater type of car. $60k+ for a used car, the interior needs to look the part.

Mechanically the GSF is probably fine. I highly doubt track days would destroy the car but it's the unseen stuff that you will probably find later that would be the bothersome part for me. "Oh look, another ding, scratch, rip, tear...etc." And at that point the car is yours.

RCF is limited edition. You will have to change how you take care of the exterior due to the matte paint but overall it's probably going to be more unique... RCF still has warranty (which is probably good, or at least peace of mind), newer tech without that horrible joystick pad thing that the GSF has. Interior stuff: if you want more alcantara you can get it done by someone. Elvin Wong makes pieces so that's always an option.

Can't go wrong with either vehicle but in this case with the two that you have given us, my choice is the RCF because it just seems like a much better deal. With how times are at the moment and probably for some time in the future, IF you don't like the RCF, you will more than likely be able to sell it for what you paid, so you aren't going to be out money. The depreciation has already been absorbed.

-Nigel
Nigel thank you for the feedback. The tracked car is off the table. In my last post I mentioned a different GS-F located in Vegas at the Lexus dealer. It’s certified, but had 3 owners. Looks very clean. That’s the one I was considering sight unseen. I agree with you, however, that for the money the RC-F seems like better value being a younger car, one owner and well kept.
Old 04-06-22, 01:18 PM
orys
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JSM701
I would go with the RCF, low miles & a very good service history. Previous owner did all the proper maintenance on the RCF.
Did you see that on the carfax? I didn't see any records there...
Old 04-06-22, 02:08 PM
JSM701
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by orys
Did you see that on the carfax? I didn't see any records there...
I put the VIN# in on Lexus Owners Site & it showed all the maintenance records. All the required services were done. Its strange it did not show up on CarFax. They also did a complete alignment on it. By the way that GSF in Vegas is overpriced for a 6 year old car. KBB shows the price around $55000. Good luck with your choice.
The following users liked this post:
orys (04-06-22)
Old 04-06-22, 02:23 PM
orys
Pit Crew

I put the VIN# in on Lexus Owners Site & it showed all the maintenance records. All the required services were done. Its strange it did not show up on CarFax. They also did a complete alignment on it. By the way that GSF in Vegas is overpriced for a 6 year old car. KBB shows the price around $55000. Good luck with your choice.
This is tremendously helpful thank you. I am on my way to get the RCF and will post pics.
Old 04-06-22, 02:39 PM
Arfboy
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

If you are potentially buying a used car sight unseen, consider having a pre-purchase inspection done by a knowledgeable third party. I wouldn't necessarily trust a vehicle's advertised condition just because it's certified. I purchased my RC F sight unseen from a dealership 1800 miles away, but paid $400 to have a PPI done before finalizing the paperwork. The inspector provided me with a comprehensive report, including photos and videos, after inspecting and test driving the car, so I had peace of mind completing the purchase.
The following 2 users liked this post by Arfboy:
orys (04-06-22), vraa (04-06-22)
Old 04-07-22, 12:38 AM
orys
Pit Crew

Picked up the RC-F tonight. Thank you for everyone's help and input here - this is a great forum. This is truly a wonderful car. Handling is superb, it sounds amazing. Will post pics soon. I did notice some interior rattles on sport S and S+ on the fwy (LA roads are terrible) but maybe the dealer can address as warranty is still in effect.
I am a bit concerned about the paint though. I read more (after purchase haha) and became a bit discouraged. Wipe down after rain? No touch up paint? Apparently these cars didn't sell when new and are heavily discounted at the time (I guess not too many people wanted to deal with the paint or cared for the blue interior). I was a bit annoyed to read that I pretty much paid what they sold for when new back in 2019 since they were heavily discounted but that's how it goes in 2022
The following 2 users liked this post by orys:
05RollaXRS (04-07-22), ALargeTom (04-07-22)
Old 04-07-22, 04:17 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Picked up the RC-F tonight. Thank you for everyone's help and input here - this is a great forum. This is truly a wonderful car. Handling is superb, it sounds amazing. Will post pics soon. I did notice some interior rattles on sport S and S+ on the fwy (LA roads are terrible) but maybe the dealer can address as warranty is still in effect.
I am a bit concerned about the paint though. I read more (after purchase haha) and became a bit discouraged. Wipe down after rain? No touch up paint? Apparently these cars didn't sell when new and are heavily discounted at the time (I guess not too many people wanted to deal with the paint or cared for the blue interior). I was a bit annoyed to read that I pretty much paid what they sold for when new back in 2019 since they were heavily discounted but that's how it goes in 2022
Congratulations! Glad you are really liking it. It gets better as you learn the car more. Put it in SPORT+, MANUAL and TVD in SLALOM. That is the best combination and dials everything up to 11. I am surprised you have some rattles as mine has 10K miles on it and has absolutely zero rattles. Feels as tight as a button. Did you locate where the rattles are coming from?
Old 04-07-22, 05:16 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,049 Posts

I've had this issue with my local dealer, JM Lexus as well. They report it to Lexus, but not Carfax or Autocheck. I called them out on it and they say its to protect me if my car ever gets damaged. Which is straight BS. My best guess is that the dealers actually have to pay for the ability to report it, and this is how they keep their price on services down. My purchasing dealer, Lexus of Palm Beach charges $160 for an oil change, while JM only charges $85. I'm currently undergoing this debacle as I don't want to pay double the price on a service, but at the same time, I would like for the services to be reported on the car. What do y'all think? Sorry to hijack the thread lol
The MSRP was actually $81,835 so if you paid the $64k from the link that you posted, you paid considerably less, albeit, had the pandemic not occurred you probably could've scooped it up for less. Although I will say, you have a VERY limited car and despite being used, judging by the pictures alone, the car is impeccable.
Old 04-07-22, 07:03 AM
Louczar1
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Congrats on the purchase. I had 1 rattle that was the 2 pieces of plastic that join around the steering column. The seem is on the left side behind the steering wheel. You can reach around teh sttering wheel while driving and feel for the seem witgh your finger. I wedges a small piece of heat shrink between the two pieces.

Lets talk about the paint care. I do not park in the garage at home. I do park in a parking garage at work. I work from home as much as I go into the office. I wash the car weekly. I use a thick super soft towel that I got from autozone to wash (only dragging the soapy wet towel across the surfaces). I do the same process with the shamois. I go to a self service car wash and NEVER squeeze the trigger for full pressure except for spot free rinse. The sequence I use.

1. Low pressure soap to remove loose dirt
2. Presoak entire car
3. low pressure soap to remove anything else loosened up.
4. wash as descibed above.
5. rinse
6. spot free rinse.

I bought my car in september. last year. with the exception of a couple small rock chips. paint still looks great. Make sure to ceramic coat it soon.

Price of the vehicle. The original window sticker was laminated and in my trunk when I bought the car. Mine was 85K MSRP. I found my car with only 582 miles on it. The dealer was asking 85K. I laughed at them. They bugged me to make an offer. I offered 70K OTD and they accepted.
Old 04-07-22, 08:54 AM
ALargeTom
Pit Crew

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Picked up the RC-F tonight. Thank you for everyone's help and input here - this is a great forum. This is truly a wonderful car....
Congrats!! Post some pictures!!

Quick Reply: Help me decide!