Help me decide!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-22, 09:17 PM
orys
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Help me decide!

Hi again,
I am debating between a 2017 GSF with 9K miles which was a prior Lexus track car and then sold as a CPO and a 2019 RCF with 17K miles which is still under the original factory warranty(10th anniversary edition). I like both cars, but the RCF is cleaner overall. The GSF has some interior blemishes such as damage to the CF panels and a torn driver seat (can be fixed though), and some rattles over bumps and rough roads. The price is almost identical (65K and 64K). Want to make a decision by tomorrow. I am particularly interested in long term value. I drive one 2-3K miles per year. Please help me make an educated decision between the two. I can live with both although the GSF is clearly more roomy. I believe the RCF has slightly better tech as it is newer.
Thank you for any insight.
Old 04-04-22, 09:28 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Strange that the GSF has lower mileage than the RCF, but the RCF is in better condition. Do you know what option packages are on RCF? Is it LSD or TVD (you can tell if it has a carbon fiber roof). There is a very clear distinction between the two in terms of the design philosophy. You can decide based on what you would prefer in your car.

GSF = About 1 foot longer so it has more room inside, bigger trunk, more comfortable for long drives, comes with standard TVD (optional on RCF).

RCF = About 1 foot smaller, but has the same track width so dynamics are very different, lighter by about 100 lbs and chassis/suspension is stiffer so more edgy to drive.

Cannot go wrong with either, but the clear pros and cons are above. Rest is subjective and everyone has their own opinions.
Old 04-04-22, 09:43 PM
orys
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Strange that the GSF has lower mileage than the RCF, but the RCF is in better condition. Do you know what option packages are on RCF? Is it LSD or TVD (you can tell if it has a carbon fiber roof). There is a very clear distinction between the two in terms of the design philosophy. You can decide based on what you would prefer in your car.

GSF = About 1 foot longer so it has more room inside, bigger trunk, more comfortable for long drives, comes with standard TVD (optional on RCF).

RCF = About 1 foot smaller, but has the same track width so dynamics are very different, lighter by about 100 lbs and chassis/suspension is stiffer so more edgy to drive.

Cannot go wrong with either, but the clear pros and cons are above. Rest is subjective and everyone has their own opinions.
This is very helpful. I suspect that the GSF is in worst shape due to the fact that it started its life as a Lexus track car (CPO'd later). Yes, the RCF has the carbon roof.
Old 04-04-22, 10:02 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by orys
This is very helpful. I suspect that the GSF is in worst shape due to the fact that it started its life as a Lexus track car (CPO'd later). Yes, the RCF has the carbon roof.
OK that means RCF has the carbon fiber/TVD option package on it.
Old 04-05-22, 06:08 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 782 Likes on 485 Posts

I'd get the RCF, since you said it's clearly in better condition.. That's me. Do you want a coupe or a 4 door sedan? That really is the deciding factor to me. If you don't need to haul four people around all the time then get which ever one you like the most. The anniversary edition has the nice matte paint job with fuji blue accents. I will note I have always wanted an GSF, but I can not stand the stupid track controller in the vehicle. For something that I am going to touch and interface all the time when driving I couldn't do that controller pad thing.

The rcf has the touch pad which honestly isn't bad. I'm not sure why people **** on it so much, it's way easier and I never have to look down at my hand on what it needs to do. it's like using a laptop touchpad mouse. I will note that typing is annoying but at least with the RCF you should be able to update and get apple car play (if you have an iphone) so that's good.

-Nigel

Last edited by nigel821; 04-05-22 at 06:11 AM.
Old 04-05-22, 07:06 AM
Louczar1
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Personally, I would pass on a track car.

I bought a 2019 10th anniersary with only 582 miles late last year. I love the car vey much. That model comes with all the options. There is not a single thing I dislike about my RCF. Have you looked atthe paint care manual? Yes, that RCF comes with a paint care manual. The matte paint job requires a special process for washing. Here are a few highlights.
  • No automatic car washes. Touchless or with any type of brushes or flaps that spin around.
  • No high pressure spray on the paint
  • No waxing
  • washing the car by hand only
    • cant use a back and forth method to wash or dry.
    • have to drag the soapy super soft towel across the body panels.
    • Same process with chamois

I have to go to a car wash with a bucket and all the supplies. I just dont squeeze the trigger for high pressure when spraying the car for pre soak or rinse. I have very hard water at my house and dont like to wash at home.
I bought the ceramic coat product from AMMO NYC. It works very good and looks great
Old 04-05-22, 07:28 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts

RC F for having a better condition
Old 04-05-22, 07:49 AM
orys
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Louczar1
Personally, I would pass on a track car.

I bought a 2019 10th anniersary with only 582 miles late last year. I love the car vey much. That model comes with all the options. There is not a single thing I dislike about my RCF. Have you looked atthe paint care manual? Yes, that RCF comes with a paint care manual. The matte paint job requires a special process for washing. Here are a few highlights.
  • No automatic car washes. Touchless or with any type of brushes or flaps that spin around.
  • No high pressure spray on the paint
  • No waxing
  • washing the car by hand only
    • cant use a back and forth method to wash or dry.
    • have to drag the soapy super soft towel across the body panels.
    • Same process with chamois

I have to go to a car wash with a bucket and all the supplies. I just dont squeeze the trigger for high pressure when spraying the car for pre soak or rinse. I have very hard water at my house and dont like to wash at home.
I bought the ceramic coat product from AMMO NYC. It works very good and looks great
that’s really good to know about the paint. The hood has a stone chip that I assume will be hard to touch up due to the matte paint. There is also a strange discoloration on the hood that looks like a hand print. I can take it to my detailer and see…
Old 04-05-22, 08:16 AM
Louczar1
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by orys
that’s really good to know about the paint. The hood has a stone chip that I assume will be hard to touch up due to the matte paint. There is also a strange discoloration on the hood that looks like a hand print. I can take it to my detailer and see…
There is not any touch up paint or deatial shop that can restore the "smothed out" finish. The only repair that can happen is a repaint of that panel. I knew that the paint job was more needy when i bought the car. I did not know how much until I read the manual. I have a couple of small spots where someone rubbed their finger on the paint to, I assumed, to see if it was paint or wrap. The spot is more clear when the car is dirty.

If you do get this RCF.I would highly recommend you ceramic coat it with a high quality ceramic coat since you cant wax it. If you are like me and like to wash your vehicles by hand to baby the exterior, then this maybe the car for you. I get a lot of compliments on it
Old 04-05-22, 08:50 AM
Dribble
Driver

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

Same here. I have the 10th Anniversary as well. Love it but you need to have a garage to store it and be mindful of the upkeep. It does get a lot of looks and comments though in that colour.
The following users liked this post:
orys (04-05-22)
Old 04-05-22, 10:14 AM
RandallNYC
Pit Crew

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

I’d go with the RC F just based off of condition. I wouldn’t pay that much for a vehicle that was a track car.
The following users liked this post:
orys (04-05-22)
Old 04-05-22, 12:49 PM
orys
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Louczar1
There is not any touch up paint or deatial shop that can restore the "smothed out" finish. The only repair that can happen is a repaint of that panel. I knew that the paint job was more needy when i bought the car. I did not know how much until I read the manual. I have a couple of small spots where someone rubbed their finger on the paint to, I assumed, to see if it was paint or wrap. The spot is more clear when the car is dirty.

If you do get this RCF.I would highly recommend you ceramic coat it with a high quality ceramic coat since you cant wax it. If you are like me and like to wash your vehicles by hand to baby the exterior, then this maybe the car for you. I get a lot of compliments on it
Great info. I am getting ceramic coating. I have one stone chip on the hood that needs fixing so we will see if it can be done
Old 04-05-22, 03:00 PM
SUNNYRCF
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

I would go with the RCF unless you got a smoking deal on the GSF. I would also need a warranty and a good Lexus dealer.
I recently went to the Lexus performance driving school at Laguna Seca and there were 30 of us that all drove a number of Lexus LC500, RCF, and IS500 track cars (like we stole them). It's really a testament to how reliable these cars are that they could do that all day long. The only issue was a low tire sensor and some smoking brakes.
The new IS500 I drove had 5 miles on the odometer. So much for a break in period on a track car....
Old 04-05-22, 05:02 PM
RandallNYC
Pit Crew

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by SUNNYRCF
I would go with the RCF unless you got a smoking deal on the GSF. I would also need a warranty and a good Lexus dealer.
I recently went to the Lexus performance driving school at Laguna Seca and there were 30 of us that all drove (like we stole them). The only issue was a low tire sensor and some smoking brakes. The new IS500 I drove had 5 miles on the odometer. So much for a break in period on a track car....
No break in. Smoking brakes and tires. That’s just what you can see. I would need a super smoking deal to buy any vehicle I know was tracked. I’ve done track days on motorcycles and car guys are brutal.
Old 04-05-22, 05:53 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 782 Likes on 485 Posts

I would actually argue that the break in period that is recommended is actually not great. I'd rather have a car that was taken to the track pretty quickly brought up to speed. That's how I normally break in my cars. I do not follow the "go gentle" approach at all. You need the rings to seal and to do it sooner than later so you don't get blow by oil that goes around the rings. The night I bought my car, 5 minutes after owning it and driving it home I was already flooring it and was at triple digit speeds. *shrugs*

All my racing buddies have done the same to their cars that they buy and never had issues of oil consumption or things of that nature. I'd personally be more concerned with the cosmetic and interior stuff if it's damage. Ripped interior or things like that is a no go unless they are repairing it or replacing the seats...otherwise you are looking at a couple thousand for a new seat alone. An engine that is broken in quickly and hard to me is fine and perfectly acceptable.

BTW, post some pictures of both.

-Nigel

Quick Reply: Help me decide!