RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

2022 RCF Fuji edition loud noise while braking

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-22, 02:45 AM
bahrcf
Pit Crew

Received 75 Likes on 29 Posts
Default 2022 RCF Fuji edition loud noise while braking

I have a 2022 RCF fuji edition, and Im getting this extremely loud noise at times when applying my foot on the car brake, sometimes it even little pressure on the brake pedal, the sound is almost like metal friction, this sound happens all of a sudden even when the car brakes have been through driving heat cycles, and the sound is continuous as long as i have my foot on the brake peddle, just wondering what it might be or if someone experienced something similar. sometimes its so bad that i feel as though the car shakes.
Old 04-05-22, 04:18 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,782 Posts

It is normal. Even the standard steel brakes on the RCF squeal quite a bit. With so much stopping power, there is a bit of a compromise on the streets with such high friction pads and squealing is normal.

I have posted this video before by Porsche. Porsche explained it to its customers with this video

Old 04-05-22, 06:16 AM
bahrcf
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
It is normal. Even the standard steel brakes on the RCF squeal quite a bit. With so much stopping power, there is a bit of a compromise on the streets with such high friction pads and squealing is normal.

I have posted this video before by Porsche. Porsche explained it to its customers with this video

Brake Squeal Explained - YouTube
it's not break squeel more like a hallow sound
Old 04-05-22, 06:52 AM
Louczar1
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I was experiencing the brake squeal on my RCF coming from the drivers side rear. It was not happening from when I got the car late last year. It was only happening during light to medium brake pressure. I saw another thread here about this.

Last week I decided to do a better cleaning on my wheels. I used an iron deposits spray on the wheel after washing. It got on the rotor and I noticed the spray turning purple where it was on the rotior. I wasn't thinking about the rotor when I sprayed it on. I rinsed it back off quickly. I decided that taking the whels off one at a time to completely and properly clean /ceramic coat.

The reason for bringing this up is that the brake squeal has stopped.
Old 04-05-22, 06:53 AM
Louczar1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bahrcf
Is it loud enough that you might be able to pick up the sound with your phone in a video?
Old 04-05-22, 07:11 AM
bahrcf
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Louczar1
Is it loud enough that you might be able to pick up the sound with your phone in a video?
yes It is I have taken a video with my phone, it is not that obvious on the phone but still able to make it out
Old 04-05-22, 07:30 AM
Louczar1
Pit Crew

yes It is I have taken a video with my phone, it is not that obvious on the phone but still able to make it out
please share it
The following users liked this post:
vraa (04-05-22)
Old 04-05-22, 09:16 AM
SailorTPD
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Having gone through the thought process on my 2021 RC F, I thought I'd share what I learned. My particular noises went away with different pads, but I don't think you would want less than best pads on yours since your rcf is made for the track.

The following is from torquewrenchcenter.com

Why are your new brakes squealing?

It is important to pinpoint exactly what is producing the noise to ensure that the problem is acted upon accordingly.

Moisture

As mentioned, moisture tends to be the most common cause of brake squealing. This can typically be identified through a grating noise rather than a squeal.

When your vehicle has been left unused overnight moisture will begin to build up around the brake pads and rotor. This may be moisture from rain, ice, or snow and if left to sit for prolonged periods, a layer of rust may begin to form.

When pressure is then applied to the brakes the rust will begin to break into smaller particles that produce a squealing sound as the brakes and rotor come into contact. Typically, this noise isn’t hugely concerning and will begin to wear off as you progress into your journey.

Cold Weather

You may notice that your brakes squeal the loudest following a bout of cold weather.

Although the sound may annoy you, again, it isn’t a sign of a more severe issue and you should expect the noise to begin to wear off eventually.

Heavy Use

If your brakes are new, you may be questioning how heavy use can be a possible cause of this noise. Without realizing you may be subconsciously applying pressure to the brakes as you are traveling.

This constant contact can produce a squealing or chattering sound. You may have had to perform a panic stop on your journey or you may have done a lot of harsh braking.

The brakes will then often appear glossy or glazed producing a squealing sound. If glazed brakes are the issue, you will find that many auto shops while sand and resurface them so that they lose the glossy appearance.

If the sound has been caused by a constant application of pressure to the brakes during your journey, you can pull over at a safe place to give the brakes a break and prevent them from overheating.

Insufficient Lubrication

This is an issue that will affect cars with a drum braking system. Regardless of whether your vehicle is equipped with new or old brakes, a lack of lubrication can cause the pistons to squeal as they scrape against the backing plate.

Lubrication can resolve this issue. Simply apply a small amount to the backing plate at the point where the piston and shoe meets. The scraping is likely to have left some visible signs of where this issue has occurred so you know exactly where the lubrication needs to be applied.

The Metal Content of the Brake Pads

Brake pads with a high metal content can squeal as they rub against the rotor. The majority of brake pads typically contain a mixture of metals but there are alternatives available.

Ceramic, glass, rubber, or resin pads are viable options and while they may not possess the same impressive stopping power as metal pads, they aren’t likely to produce the same volume of sound.

Ultimately, brake pads with metal fibers tend to stop producing this noise over time as they begin to wear.

The Brake Pads are Worn Down

As brake pads begin to wear they become thinner and although this isn’t likely to affect new brakes it can affect vehicles with a replaced caliper or rotor that still have the same pads.

The longevity of brake pads can differ depending on how you drive, although they typically last between 25,000 to 65,000 miles.

When pressure is applied to the brake pedal, the caliper will then clamp around the pad. As such the wheel then begins to slow down. Each time this motion occurs the friction that is produced turns into heat.

The regularity in which your brakes are used means that over time your brake pads are ultimately going to become thinner and increasingly worn.

Eventually, your brakes will produce a squealing sound and they will need to be replaced. Failing to replace your brakes in this instance can affect the stopping power of the vehicle.

You can either take your vehicle to a professional who will replace the brakes for you or those who are confident in doing so may wish to replace the brake pads themselves.

The Quality of the Brake Pads

Cheaper brake pads do not tend to lack quality in comparison to a more expensive option. Although the affordability of the brake pads may appeal to some, as they tend to lack quality they are much more likely to deteriorate sooner.

As such you should expect them to produce more noise and they are also likely to produce more brake dust. To avoid such issues affecting your vehicle, it is worth paying a little more for brakes with a higher quality composition.

Objects From the Road Surface Have Become Lodged in the Brakes

The road surface is home to many objects and particles such as grit, sand, and stone. As you drive along the road, these materials can become lodged in your brakes. Usually, such issues can go unnoticed for some time unless the stone in question is larger.

If so, it is likely to produce more noise as it becomes embedded in the brake pad. Although this can cause some minor damage to your brakes, it is an issue that is likely to rectify itself as the objects eventually work their way out.

Final Thoughts

As you can see, there are many reasons why your new brakes may be squealing. Several of these issues can affect older brakes too.
Old 04-05-22, 09:18 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

Does is sound like a dying whale???

"Look here, friend, if you have anything important to tell us, out with it."
Old 04-05-22, 01:43 PM
sensai
Advanced

Received 661 Likes on 229 Posts

owned a 17 rcf and currently have a 21 fuji.

the brake sounds are diff between the two in my experience. in the 17, when running stock oem pads it was more of a squeal. that and the brake dust all pretty much went to minimal levels when i switched to project mu ps pads. as you all prob know, the track spec (t.e., fuji) runs a carbon ceramic system and sounds more hollow or a dull sound as described. for the fuji, i experience it when the brakes are cold and not during a spirited run. it doesn't happen to me often but i don't daily the car and mainly take it out when i go for a hard drive so that prob has something to do with it. i can sometimes mitigate it by letting off the brakes when i hear it then tapping them again or pumping them very slightly with lighter pressure until i stop.

the way i see it...it is what it is and it's normal. it's a byproduct of a highly heat tolerable ceramic based performance braking system. and yes, it could be described as a whaling whale

turn up the music and/or open the exhaust valves (if you have them) and voila...it can no longer be heard. if you're experiencing ride quality or other issues like shaking that would be something to investigate. i don't experience that.

did you go through the recommended brake pad bedding procedure? if not, maybe that could cause some shakes when applying the brakes if things weren't bedded properly but i'm also new to carbon ceramic brakes so not an expert.

Last edited by sensai; 04-05-22 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-05-22, 11:52 PM
bahrcf
Pit Crew

thats spot on its like a whale sound, a hallow sound thats exactly what it sounds like. No i did not bled my pads, is it too late to do that now, and are you still experiencing that sound?
Old 04-06-22, 12:12 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

thats spot on its like a whale sound, a hallow sound thats exactly what it sounds like. No i did not bled my pads, is it too late to do that now, and are you still experiencing that sound?

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas, and land on barbarous coasts.”

Old 04-06-22, 04:45 AM
Lurker9
Pole Position

Received 99 Likes on 41 Posts

My 2020 TE does this as well, usually when driven in rainy weather. I think the carbon-ceramic setup is best for dry weather enjoyment.
Old 04-06-22, 05:19 AM
JT2MA71

Received 1,576 Likes on 688 Posts

Just the nature of carbon ceramic brakes. Mine does it as well and I have aftermarket FIGS/RB carbon ceramic brakes.
Old 04-06-22, 06:18 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 772 Likes on 481 Posts

You could try bedding in the CCB. Ideally it would have been done at the factory or dealer...but who knows.

This is what the Mclaren guys do for the bed in of their CCB.

-Nigel

Quick Reply: 2022 RCF Fuji edition loud noise while braking