RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

New to me RC-F

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-22, 01:31 AM
cvt
Racer

Received 547 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by SailorTPD
Enjoy it. It is more fun than my Datsun 2000 5 speed roadster back in the day. The V8 5 liter has an amazing transmission so I drive in Sport for fun but drive around town in Custom where I have the suspension in sport but drive train in eco. Keeps me from jack rabbitting. When in Sport, it shifts about the same as I recall me doing manually on the Datsun.

My old Datsun from Hawaii and transplanted to CA.
that’s a beauty….you have exceptional taste sir…
Old 04-21-22, 04:00 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by dingyibvs
Yeah I always turn mine to Sport after the car warms up. Eco takes forever to downshift, and normal is a bit too mild for me as well. The suspension doesn't firm up until Sport+, so you still get a soft ride during your daily drive in Sport.
Even in ECO/NORMAL/SPORT mode, it tries to find the balance between ride comfort and reduced body roll over rough pavement. So, it is not soft 100% of the time. It is just that in SPORT+, it prioritizes stiffness over ride comfort.

Here is the press release from 2017:with details on it

Lexus has advanced the handling stability and ride comfort of its premium GS F sports sedan and RC F sports coupe by incorporating the latest driver-selectable Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS).

The AVS system electronically monitors and controls the damping force at all four wheels simultaneously, based on road-surface conditions and driver preferences.

Using a range of sensors - including G force, yaw-rate and speed sensors - Lexus AVS is designed to improve ride comfort and handling stability, particularly on rough roads, while also providing greater stability when cornering.

The latest AVS iteration offers 30 levels of damping force, up from 9 previously, switching automatically as required to ensure precise suspension control on all road surfaces.

When cornering, it applies increased damping force in response to steering input, yaw rate and vehicle attitude, ensuring exceptional handling and reduced body roll through the turn while also providing a smooth, comfortable ride.

On rough surfaces, it reduces damper force to help absorb vibrations to maintain a high level of comfort.

The full AVS package has seven damping-force control strategies, including anti-dive and anti-squat.

The AVS works with the vehicle's comprehensive safety systems for ideal composure, helping suppress body pitching under heavy braking or hard acceleration.

Lexus has complemented the increased suspension control AVS offers by linking it with both the Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) safety technology and Drive Mode Select control.

In ECO, NORMAL, and SPORT S modes, the Drive Mode Select system prioritises ride comfort while contributing to greater handling stability, based on driving operations and the road surface conditions.

In SPORT S+ mode, the focus of the damping-force control is handling stability. In addition, the SPORT S+ mode automatically switches the powertrain, electric power-assisted steering and VDIM to Sport mode.

The meter graphics display in both F Line vehicles has been updated to show the selection of Sports AVS.

Lexus GS F and RC F share a premium driveline, with a 5.0-litre normally aspirated V8 delivering 351kW/477 DIN hp of power through an eight-speed Sports Direct Shift transmission.

In addition to the GS F and RC F suspension upgrade, Lexus has introduced a new grey exterior colour for GS F and a new black paint for RC F.

RC F has a new alloy wheel with seven pairs of spokes.
LEXUS UPGRADES GS F AND RC F WITH ADAPTIVE VARIABLE SUSPENSION
Old 04-21-22, 06:21 AM
LoSt180
Advanced

Received 605 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by dingyibvs
Yeah I always turn mine to Sport after the car warms up. Eco takes forever to downshift, and normal is a bit too mild for me as well. The suspension doesn't firm up until Sport+, so you still get a soft ride during your daily drive in Sport.
Along with some shift point changes, the biggest difference between the modes is the throttle maps - that's the mapping between accelerator pedal position and throttle opening. In Eco, 50% of the throttle is mapped to the first 88% of pedal travel. In other words, for most of the way down on the pedal, throttle is limited to 50%. So you pretty much have to floor it to get any real acceleration. I really only ever use Eco on long road trips with light traffic with cruise control. Normal is only slightly better with the 50% throttle mark at about 66% of pedal travel. I drive in Sport 90% of the time, S+ on the track or weekend back road drives.

The nerfed throttle is why I can see people trying to bandaid it with gimmicks like those throttle controllers, but really they just need to get out of normal drive mode.

Doesn't the 17+ also have a custom mode? I bet sport engine response with soft suspension would be nice for the majority of daily driving experience.
The following 2 users liked this post by LoSt180:
konichiwa3 (04-21-22), MCB1970 (04-21-22)
Old 04-21-22, 07:12 AM
Ab175
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by LoSt180
Along with some shift point changes, the biggest difference between the modes is the throttle maps - that's the mapping between accelerator pedal position and throttle opening. In Eco, 50% of the throttle is mapped to the first 88% of pedal travel. In other words, for most of the way down on the pedal, throttle is limited to 50%. So you pretty much have to floor it to get any real acceleration. I really only ever use Eco on long road trips with light traffic with cruise control. Normal is only slightly better with the 50% throttle mark at about 66% of pedal travel. I drive in Sport 90% of the time, S+ on the track or weekend back road drives.

The nerfed throttle is why I can see people trying to bandaid it with gimmicks like those throttle controllers, but really they just need to get out of normal drive mode.

Doesn't the 17+ also have a custom mode? I bet sport engine response with soft suspension would be nice for the majority of daily driving experience.
2018+ model years got the custom drive mode along with the updated infotainment with CarPlay.
Old 04-21-22, 07:56 AM
SailorTPD
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Ab175
2018+ model years got the custom drive mode along with the updated infotainment with CarPlay.
Custom mode doesn't have many options.
Powertrain can be selected to three things--normal, eco, or power with no explanation of what power means, but I suspect it is the throttle mapping described above selector. Don't have a guess as to what it does to the trans.
Chasis can be selected either normal or sport (seems they could have used comfort or stiff as better descriptors).
Airconditioning can be selected normal or eco.

Old 04-21-22, 08:40 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LoSt180
Not entirely correct. I always have driven it in SPORT+ with manual mode. However, as an experiment I put SprintBooster v3 on and it changed the whole character of the car. It is pretty much real-time response and it gives the highest response/engine braking where the most inertia at rest or in motion is to overcome. The net effect of that is, the car feels like 200 - 300 lbs lighter and so easy to oversteer in any turn.
Old 04-21-22, 08:51 AM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

Received 317 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Not entirely correct. I always have driven it in SPORT+ with manual mode. However, as an experiment I put SprintBooster v3 on and it changed the whole character of the car. It is pretty much real-time response and it gives the highest response/engine braking where the most inertia at rest or in motion is to overcome. The net effect of that is, the car feels like 200 - 300 lbs lighter and so easy to oversteer in any turn.
Do you intend to keep your throttle controller once you get your Tune?

Old 04-21-22, 09:40 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by konichiwa3
Do you intend to keep your throttle controller once you get your Tune?
Will see how it goes. Stay tuned. Will try it both with ETC ON and OFF. I have read a few people who had both and they said, it is good to have both. However, I realize the RR racing ECU tune also enhances the throttle/torque mapping as well, which is what an ETC usually does. Stay tuned for my impressions. I will receive the RR racing tune box either today or tomorrow so I will be creating a thread on it and will be documenting as much as much as I can on the RR racing ECU tune.
Old 04-21-22, 09:44 AM
Ab175
Intermediate

Out of curiosity, how does that throttle controller affect the engine braking? Off-throttle is off-throttle whether the throttle controller is plugged in or not correct?
Old 04-21-22, 09:57 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Out of curiosity, how does that throttle controller affect the engine braking? Off-throttle is off-throttle whether the throttle controller is plugged in or not correct?
The throttle body closes much quicker as well just like it opens much more quickly to the foot input. You could get into situations where your head is caught in bucking forward and back as the chassis reacts quickly to the sudden on/off from the engine reacting to your right foot tip in/out. Usually, I push the throttle down further to get it out of this "pendulum" effect.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 04-21-22 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-21-22, 12:16 PM
Ab175
Intermediate

The throttle body closes much quicker as well just like it opens much more quickly to the foot input. You could get into situations where your head is caught in bucking forward and back as the chassis reacts quickly to the sudden on/off from the engine reacting to your right foot tip in/out. Usually, I push the throttle down further to get it out of this "pendulum" effect.
Personally, I feel that when the throttle is that sensitive, all it does is take away the ability of the driver to modulate the throttle. It's really difficult to do any kind of precise driving when barely tapping the throttle results in damn near full throttle. Granted I may have had a different experience with the throttle controller since the one I tried was installed in an M3. To each their own I suppose.
Old 04-21-22, 12:56 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Personally, I feel that when the throttle is that sensitive, all it does is take away the ability of the driver to modulate the throttle. It's really difficult to do any kind of precise driving when barely tapping the throttle results in damn near full throttle. Granted I may have had a different experience with the throttle controller since the one I tried was installed in an M3. To each their own I suppose.
You just have to be careful to modulate carefully. The creep in bumper to bumper is much like stock so there is never any worry in bumper to bumper trafffic. Once one starts to dig into the throttle (and how quickly one pushes the pedal), it causes the response to be amplified. However, it is highly customizable. There are 9 settings in SPORT mode and 9 settings in RACE. I usually keep it at level 5 in RACE. Never tried anything higher. However, the SPORT mode 1 through 9 are much more "tame".