RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Lems titanium intake vs lems carbon intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-22, 12:51 PM
bahrcf
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Lems titanium intake vs lems carbon intake

I am looking to change my oem intake pipe, I cam across a carbon intake made by lems, its more double the price of the lems titanium intake, but the diameter is 91mm as opposed to the 87mm of the titanium intake which is same as oem

, my question is will these parts make some difference, especially the 91mm of the carbon one, or neither will make much of a difference.

P.S I changed the intake setup it self pending the intake pipe.
Old 05-29-22, 02:49 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,788 Posts

Did you not have the GruppeM cold air intake or I am mistaken? Regarding the tubes, I am not sure if the tubes alone would make a difference, but someone who has them can chime in.
Old 05-29-22, 10:46 PM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

Received 316 Likes on 174 Posts

Will not make a difference. Even with the larger diameter your throttle body is your bottle neck. Moreover for the very few that tried a bigger throttle body they were not able to extract any performance gains. I believe the ECU readjusts from the Mass Air Flow Sensor readings it receives thereby negating any chance for gains. The ECU will trim back fuel injected if MAF is picking up higher air flow. An appropriate tune could potentially help.

Outside of a tune with the RCF intake I imagine the only chance to make some gains is to keep the intake charge cooler rather than trying to induce more flow.

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Did you not have the GruppeM cold air intake or I am mistaken?
Would be interested to know if he still has the GruppeM and what the overall experience has been with them.
The following users liked this post:
05RollaXRS (05-30-22)
Old 05-30-22, 12:07 AM
bahrcf
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 30 Posts

yes that's my though exactly, so the question then becomes, which will retain cooling better, carbon fibre or titanium?

yes i have the GruppM, i couldn't be happier with it, unfortunately did not dyno, but i did feel the car more responsive, intake sound defiantly throatier.
The following 2 users liked this post by bahrcf:
05RollaXRS (05-30-22), konichiwa3 (05-30-22)
Old 05-30-22, 02:21 AM
Cobbieroz
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are working closely with LEMS to provide all of their product lineup.

We finally have US pricing for all of the LEMS parts so feel free to shoot me an email directly or just PM me at this forum https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-f-2015-present/986583-gosloto-lems-titanium-intake-vs-lems-carbon-intake.html and I'll shoot you over some pricing and details.

Thanks
Old 05-30-22, 11:39 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 695 Likes on 611 Posts

Carbon!!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 06-11-22, 10:36 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 103 Posts

what is the ID/OD of the stock MAF housing?
Old 06-11-22, 11:13 PM
504GSF
Intermediate

Received 235 Likes on 112 Posts

Carbon fiber will be less likely to retain heat compared to titanium.
Old 06-13-22, 09:01 PM
IntrinoX
Instructor

Received 563 Likes on 330 Posts

I'd prefer a metal over CFRP as CFRP will start to flake over time and get vacuumed into your intake manifold.. and who knows where it'll go...
Old 06-13-22, 10:36 PM
504GSF
Intermediate

Originally Posted by itsraysgs
I'd prefer a metal over CFRP as CFRP will start to flake over time and get vacuumed into your intake manifold.. and who knows where it'll go...
Not going to lie that’s a new one for me, I come from Hondas and carbon fiber intakes disintegrating and going through the motor is something I’ve never seen with the CF intakes available for those cars.. I mean maybe if you get the cheapest “Carbon” intake out there you’d have quality issues. But even then that situation would be a far stretch. Especially for the price Lems is selling for. I can’t see that being an issue at all.

Now I have seen on the Top1 USA intake elbow that the crankcase vent tubes start to break away from the carbon tube but that’s more of an issue of two different materials being used on a low quality product. I can’t see that happening on a Lems piece.
Old 06-14-22, 05:30 AM
JT2MA71

Received 1,578 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by bahrcf
I am looking to change my oem intake pipe, I cam across a carbon intake made by lems, its more double the price of the lems titanium intake, but the diameter is 91mm as opposed to the 87mm of the titanium intake which is same as oem

, my question is will these parts make some difference, especially the 91mm of the carbon one, or neither will make much of a difference.

P.S I changed the intake setup it self pending the intake pipe.
If you decide on going metal, look into suruga speed. That’s what I have with my blitz CF intake and the sound is just amazing. It also has a “reserve” chamber which supposedly makes the response even more instantaneous.
I don’t really believe heat soak is an issue with these elbows, it’s such a short path that the air will not have enough time to be heated up by it. And if that’s the case, we have an even bigger source of heat, the intake plenum.

Old 06-14-22, 07:50 AM
IntrinoX
Instructor

Received 563 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by 504GSF
Not going to lie that’s a new one for me, I come from Hondas and carbon fiber intakes disintegrating and going through the motor is something I’ve never seen with the CF intakes available for those cars.. I mean maybe if you get the cheapest “Carbon” intake out there you’d have quality issues. But even then that situation would be a far stretch. Especially for the price Lems is selling for. I can’t see that being an issue at all.

Now I have seen on the Top1 USA intake elbow that the crankcase vent tubes start to break away from the carbon tube but that’s more of an issue of two different materials being used on a low quality product. I can’t see that happening on a Lems piece.
You're right on the quality aspect of how they’re made. But as a peace of mind, I went with a titanium one!

Old 06-15-22, 08:44 PM
504GSF
Intermediate

Originally Posted by itsraysgs
You're right on the quality aspect of how they’re made. But as a peace of mind, I went with a titanium one!

I considered a titanium piece but ever since I got a GS F I’ve always wanted the Tom’s.

The crazy thing about the Lems vs the Tom’s is the inside of the pipe actually looks way smoother.
Old 06-15-22, 10:37 PM
buister
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Beside of absorbing less heat, the carbon fiber tube is smooth. Don't the kinks on the metal tube disrupt the airflow?
Old 06-16-22, 08:59 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 778 Likes on 482 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by 504GSF
I considered a titanium piece but ever since I got a GS F I’ve always wanted the Tom’s.

The crazy thing about the Lems vs the Tom’s is the inside of the pipe actually looks way smoother.

I was actually surprised when I installed my Tom's tube and it wasn't super smooth on the inside. You'd think for the price they charge it would be but who knows....
I don't think it would come apart either. CF resist heat very well. If it was a cheap knock off I'd be more worried but I don't think I've ever seen an issue where someone has complained that a Tom's intake tube has come apart.

-Nigel