RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

V8 Rumble

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-22, 06:19 PM
EddieP1215
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts
Default V8 Rumble

I love the look of the quad OEM exhaust and don't want to get rid of them. But (as I preach to the choir), there's not enough rumble with our RC F's.

My question is how do I go about (cost effectively) getting more grunt/rumble out of the exhaust system.

Headers are way down my list and I don't want a new exhaust system to be honest.

I want to the stock look, but more sound.

I'm in SC, so there are no annual emission tests/vehicle inspections, etc. for our vehicles.

Thanks for any help given.
Old 06-15-22, 06:44 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,951 Likes on 1,374 Posts

Headers are what you want, but for more rumble and a slightly lumpy idle, you would need UEL (Unequal Length) headers. PPE has both EL & UEL. A new exhaust would make that rumble even a bit louder. You may just want to try and remove the secondary cats and resonators from the stock exhaust.
Old 06-15-22, 06:52 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 547 Likes on 363 Posts

You can check Youtube but the more subtle and pleasing sounding exhausts from what I've heard are the Invidia, PTS Joe Z, and the APEXi. Aesthetically I don't like the Apexi. The Joe Z can be rather expensive (but quality is top notch...ask the ISF guys). The Invidia is cost effective but people have stated issues with gaskets (which are easily resolved).

Look up some Youtube clips and decide for yourself.
Old 06-15-22, 06:58 PM
EddieP1215
Driver

Originally Posted by sickpuppy
Headers are what you want, but for more rumble and a slightly lumpy idle, you would need UEL (Unequal Length) headers. PPE has both EL & UEL. A new exhaust would make that rumble even a bit louder. You may just want to try and remove the secondary cats and resonators from the stock exhaust.
Thanks I appreciate that. I was leaning towards the cat/resonator deletes, but I wanted to float it here first to see.
Old 06-15-22, 06:59 PM
EddieP1215
Driver

Originally Posted by cvt
You can check Youtube but the more subtle and pleasing sounding exhausts from what I've heard are the Invidia, PTS Joe Z, and the APEXi. Aesthetically I don't like the Apexi. The Joe Z can be rather expensive (but quality is top notch...ask the ISF guys). The Invidia is cost effective but people have stated issues with gaskets (which are easily resolved).

Look up some Youtube clips and decide for yourself.
Yeah a new exhaust system is on the list, but I'm still doing the "smaller" things first.

I wanted to start small and then work my way up to an exhaust system lol.

Old 06-15-22, 07:15 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Invidia full exhaust retains very close to stock look. Same oval quad exhausts and has an amazing sound. Definitely, a deep rumble at low rpms, but it gets melodic, higher putched and very symphonic as the revs rise especially if you have the window slightly down. Also, you gain about +18 whp (and it is very noticeable). I have the titanium muffler tips and they look amazing. Had it for 3+ years now and still always makes it 10x more fun than with the stock exhaust.
Old 06-16-22, 02:04 AM
EddieP1215
Driver

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Invidia full exhaust retains very close to stock look. Same oval quad exhausts and has an amazing sound. Definitely, a deep rumble at low rpms, but it gets melodic, higher putched and very symphonic as the revs rise especially if you have the window slightly down. Also, you gain about +18 whp (and it is very noticeable). I have the titanium muffler tips and they look amazing. Had it for 3+ years now and still always makes it 10x more fun than with the stock exhaust.
Nice. Thanks for the breakdown. In time this looks like the system I may go after.
Old 06-16-22, 02:34 AM
bahrcf
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 30 Posts

i was in the same dilemma as you, i have the TE and loved the burnt oem axel back but wanted more of a v8 rumble, i ended up fabricating a midpipe, none resonated, and that did it for me 0 drone, at ideal sounds nice, when you rev or at higher acceleration the car comes alive. did not cost me much to have a custom made midpipe. I drove on that setup for couple of months, and now i installed EL headers, with stock axel back, car sounds louder now, but i was extremely satisfied with the none resonated midpip
Old 06-16-22, 05:15 AM
EddieP1215
Driver

Originally Posted by bahrcf
i was in the same dilemma as you, i have the TE and loved the burnt oem axel back but wanted more of a v8 rumble, i ended up fabricating a midpipe, none resonated, and that did it for me 0 drone, at ideal sounds nice, when you rev or at higher acceleration the car comes alive. did not cost me much to have a custom made midpipe. I drove on that setup for couple of months, and now i installed EL headers, with stock axel back, car sounds louder now, but i was extremely satisfied with the none resonated midpip
Thanks for that. There's a few custom muffler shops close by and I'll price a midpipe.
Old 06-16-22, 09:01 AM
SailorTPD
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I live in CA with all sorts of emissions tests. I also don't want more noise. BUT, if I did and lived with no emissions controls, the easiest (cheapest) way to get more sound is to drill a small hole just in front of the muffler. Just don't idle in one spot for very long since you don't want to breathe exhaust for very long.
Old 06-16-22, 09:07 AM
EddieP1215
Driver

Originally Posted by SailorTPD
I live in CA with all sorts of emissions tests. I also don't want more noise. BUT, if I did and lived with no emissions controls, the easiest (cheapest) way to get more sound is to drill a small hole just in front of the muffler. Just don't idle in one spot for very long since you don't want to breathe exhaust for very long.
I've never heard of that approach. Sounds interesting.
Old 06-16-22, 09:28 AM
SailorTPD
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Lots of youtube vids showing sounds from folks with holes in exhaust system. When I was a kid in Illinois (lots of years ago) it was a common practice among the HS toughs.
Old 06-16-22, 11:38 AM
Patton6964
Advanced

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Eddie, you can do the muffler delete like mine. Just tilt the tips sideways like the OEM setup. If you need a reminder of what it sounds like, lets meet at Coffee & Cars again or Beers & Gears.
Old 06-16-22, 03:37 PM
Kramer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts

There are alot of forum members that had good luck modifying stock exhaust to get the outcomes they wanted inexpensively. Some have just removed resonators, others have removed the mufflers, some have done both! It is all personal preference and what you want to accomplish. I have had my Invidia catback for 6 years now on my RC-F, and couldnt be happier with the result. The titanium burnt tips still look nearly as blue as they did the day I un-wrapped it. There are times I would like more sound out of it.....I came from a Jaguar F-Type V8 S........but it filled the void just enough for me......docile on easy driving but then gets loud enough at WOT!!!
The following users liked this post:
05RollaXRS (06-16-22)
Old 06-16-22, 04:34 PM
EddieP1215
Driver

Originally Posted by Patton6964
Eddie, you can do the muffler delete like mine. Just tilt the tips sideways like the OEM setup. If you need a reminder of what it sounds like, lets meet at Coffee & Cars again or Beers & Gears.
Sounds like a plan. I need to get back up there to hang out.

Quick Reply: V8 Rumble