RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC F Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-22, 11:44 AM
BrandonX
Driver

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RC F Windshield Replacement

Unfortunately… I got hit by a rock that splintered my windshield.

called Lexus up, and they’re quoting ~$1000 for a replacement.

called travelers (my insurance provider), and they said they cover minus my $500 deductible.

but talking to Lexus, they only do payment out of pocket and then you get reimbursed my insurance (surprise surprise). They also mentioned most the time insurance denies the reimbursement because they use OE glass and not 3rd party glass.

so I have an email out to travelers auto glass to see if they’ll approve an OE glass from Lexus.

The other option, is to use Traveler’s provider Safelite. I imagine a way easier process because they’re in cahoots with the insurance company.

so the question is, anyone have experience with windshields and know the quality of Safelite?

any input here is welcome.
Old 06-25-22, 02:32 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,355 Posts

I use OEM Glass and also choose my own installer. I have Glass insurance on my policy and prefer to let the insurance company reimburse me. I'm not the only person interested in OEM glass. When I was selling my ISF. Two of the folks who were interested, including the buyer, looked to the windshield to make sure it was OEM. I had replaced the windshield on my ISF and have replaced it on my LC. See article below:

The following users liked this post:
Kramer (06-25-22)
Old 06-26-22, 07:36 AM
SailorTPD
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I've used Safelite for both chip repair (prior to it growing legs) as well as complete replacement of the windshield for other vehicles in the past (Toyota Venza for example). I was satisfied for both the quality of the repair and the replacement piece quality. With the RCF, though, it is likely that the replacement from them would be heavier if that matters to you.
Old 06-27-22, 09:52 AM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 345 Likes on 227 Posts

I have used Safelite before as I can get a windshield done for a $100 dollars. My wifes 2021 CX-5 had the windshield cracked like a week after we got it. I was pissed. We have had no issues with the Safelite glass. It is a signature series so it has all the sensors around the rear view mirror and they got it all set up right.

I would do Safelite for my RCF. I hope I don't have to.
Old 06-28-22, 06:55 AM
BrandonX
Driver

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Update: dropped car off at Lexus, they've quoted me at a whopping $1,200 (SHEESH). Travelers insurance says they'll cover it, so hoping I don't get pushback when I submit my reimbursement claim.

Old 06-28-22, 10:01 AM
Louczar1
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I drive ~30K miles a year. I had the windsheild replaced on my last Lexus (RC350) with an aftermarket one. It was much cheaper than OEM. Funny thing was it was harder to find a windshield WITHOUT the rain sensor. The new windshield was on for about half the time I owned the car. It seemed like it was getting micro pitting faster than the OEM. I had no way of proving that. I wouldn't consider getting anything other than OEM on mf RCF after my previous experiece
Vitveet (11-26-22)
Old 06-28-22, 10:12 AM
350phi
Pit Crew

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts

I purchased an oem glass for $400 bucks locally from lexus and had a windshield shop install it for $75.

wholesale price for your

56101-24905 is $466.

wanna know what's funny? your lexus dealer will get a local windshield guy to install it. I have a windshield guy and he goes to body shops and dealers to install all the time. xpress 30 DuPont $4 bucks each. that dealer is making $258 profit from parts and charging $335 for labor but pay the local windshield guy $75 bucks to install. insurance is taking care of it so it doesn't mater
JT2MA71 (06-28-22)
Old 06-28-22, 01:26 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,576 Likes on 688 Posts

I insisted on getting OEM glass when mine cracked, I told my insurance that the dealer told me to make sure I get an OE glass because it is somewhat a structural part, and if something happens with the carbon roof, they couldn't blame it on an aftermarket glass. I also had the new OE glass protected with Exoshield.
Old 06-28-22, 01:48 PM
Louczar1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
I insisted on getting OEM glass when mine cracked, I told my insurance that the dealer told me to make sure I get an OE glass because it is somewhat a structural part, and if something happens with the carbon roof, they couldn't blame it on an aftermarket glass. I also had the new OE glass protected with Exoshield.
Great answer! Will have to steal that one if I ever need it
Old 06-29-22, 07:33 AM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 345 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by JT2MA71

Interesting. Based on this I would probably go OEM now. Thanks for the post.

I did read somewhere that Safelite glass has really improved the quality of their windshields in the last few years. Who knows. I have never had a problem with them.
Old 06-29-22, 10:58 AM
BrandonX
Driver

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Picked my car back up today and $1,300 (after tax) lighter. Just submitted my reimbursement claim to Travelers, so wish me luck.

Travelers also said they'd reimburse the ceramic windshield tint I had on the original.

Question is... Last time I got 90% tint and could easily see at day and night.

Does anyone else have windshield tint, and what % tint did you use? I want to go darker, but don't want to get too dark for night time visibility.
Old 06-29-22, 01:20 PM
CodyJames
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonX
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Picked my car back up today and $1,300 (after tax) lighter. Just submitted my reimbursement claim to Travelers, so wish me luck.

Travelers also said they'd reimburse the ceramic windshield tint I had on the original.

Question is... Last time I got 90% tint and could easily see at day and night.

Does anyone else have windshield tint, and what % tint did you use? I want to go darker, but don't want to get too dark for night time visibility.
Haven't done it yet, but my research says 70 percent is the way to go.
Old 06-29-22, 01:20 PM
Louczar1
Pit Crew

I was going to get the windshield tinted when I had the others tinted. The guy at the shop who I talked to noticed that I had some polarized Ray ban sunglasses on my shirt. He asked if I preferred polarized and said that I would see the pattern in the tint on the windshield wearing polarized lenses. I did not do it for that reason.
Old 06-29-22, 01:24 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,355 Posts

^^^^I wear polarized sun glasses and have a tinted windshield and do not have an issue. I do however, sometimes, see a rainbow effect when looking out my passengers (tinted) side window.
Louczar1 (06-29-22)
Old 06-29-22, 02:40 PM
Louczar1
Pit Crew

maybe the brands of PPF are different. That is good to know!

Quick Reply: RC F Windshield Replacement