RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Name ONE modification on RCF you could do without

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-22, 11:14 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,778 Posts
Default Name ONE modification on RCF you could do without

Just thought, this would be an interesting thing to put a thread on. It is about that one modification that you think adds least value and hence you do without

Here is my list and hence conclusion:

Invidia Q300 Full Catback Exhaust - definitely, one of the best modifications I have. Really made the car much more enjoyable and the +18 whp gain is very noticeable
AFE Power Stage2 Cold Air Intake - not a significant difference as there is some midrange power and better throttle response noticeable. The growl in high-load situation is also great.
AFE Power SprintBooster v3 ETC - $300 modification that made a big difference in driving experience. The car is so much snappier and loads of torque available much earlier.
AntiGravity Lithium Ion Lightweight Battery - . 27 lbs weight loss not noticeable, but the fast crank, lower power loss at the alternator and battery never getting drained etc. all great
RR Racing ECU Software Tune - About +7 whp gain and about +17 ft-lbs in midrange very noticeable, paddle shifter response is snappier/faster (the actual shift speed is the same).
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (Extra Load) - great tires and my complaints with the OEM Michelin Pilot Super Sport were resolved. One of the best modifications.
Carbon Fiber Mirror Covers - Add a nice touch of more carbon fiber to the existing. Merely aesthetic modification. No other value.
Eibach Spacers - Add a more aggressive flush look of wheels with fenders. No downsides. Car still handles well and no complaints

So the answer is Carbon Fiber Mirrors. It looks great, but compared to other mods, this is the one that makes the least difference and something I could do without. It is an easy one. It would be a lot tougher if I did not have this modification. All other modifications have made a sizable difference in the experience so it would be tough, but if I had to name something, it might have been the AntiGravity Lithium Ion Battery mostly because it cost 3 times more than a standard battery ($1200 CAD with duties, taxes) Even with al of the big advantages and weight savings etc., a standard battery would do just fine without taking a lot away.
The following users liked this post:
x360box (07-01-22)
Old 06-30-22, 11:28 AM
504GSF
Intermediate

Received 235 Likes on 112 Posts

What do you think your car actually makes at the wheels with your set up? Done any pulls with any cars in a similar horsepower range for comparison before and after tune?
Old 06-30-22, 11:47 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 504GSF
What do you think your car actually makes at the wheels with your set up? Done any pulls with any cars in a similar horsepower range for comparison before and after tune?
No dynos yet, but I will have dragy runs soon. I think it is a better real world measure. I just need to get to it. Dyno wise, looking at similar modifications, it should be around 430 whp. I have stock headers. That is just an estimate based on similarly modded cars.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 06-30-22 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-30-22, 11:58 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Emblem swapping. Carbon fiber inserts (not replacements). Basically any cheap cosmetic mods.

This isn't going to make your car faster.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173399840502
Old 06-30-22, 12:02 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by macmaster
Emblem swapping. Carbon fiber inserts (not replacements). Basically any cheap cosmetic mods.

This isn't going to make your car faster.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173399840502
That looks nice. Thanks for sharing. I have been thinking about doing the smoked emblem as well, but those red inserts look very nice. Do you have a picture you can share of how it looks like on your IS500?
Old 06-30-22, 12:05 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
That looks nice. Thanks for sharing. I have been thinking about doing the smoked emblem as well, but those red inserts look very nice. Do you have a picture you can share of how it looks like on your IS500?
Lol wait what. I thought this was a thread about a mod you could do without? No I dont have it on my IS500 because i thought this thread was about a mod you could do without.
The following users liked this post:
CrtifiedMD (07-07-22)
Old 06-30-22, 12:07 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Lol wait what. I thought this was a thread about a mod you could do without? No I dont have it on my IS500 because i thought this thread was about a mod you could do without.
LOL, I meant a mod you had on the car that you look back and say "yeah, maybe that mod is something I could afford to lose, if I need to". I think the context did not come through in my original post. That is why I thought you had it on your car.
Old 06-30-22, 12:15 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

LOL, I meant a mod you had on the car that you look back and say "yeah, maybe that mod is something I could afford to lose, if I need to". I think the context did not come through in my original post. That is why I thought you had it on your car.
I haven't really modified my IS500 yet except for tints.

In the past, I have had those rain guard window visor things, I would say that. And yeah I did plastidip my emblems so I would still stick with my first one too.
Old 06-30-22, 01:15 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I haven't really modified my IS500 yet except for tints.

In the past, I have had those rain guard window visor things, I would say that. And yeah I did plastidip my emblems so I would still stick with my first one too.
Nice. Time to start modding then.
Old 06-30-22, 01:38 PM
504GSF
Intermediate

Received 235 Likes on 112 Posts

No dynos yet, but I will have dragy runs soon. I think it is a better real world measure. I just need to get to it. Dyno wise, looking at similar modifications, it should be around 430 whp. I have stock headers. That is just an estimate based on similarly modded cars.
Awesome, that's healthy numbers. I'm definitely interested in seeing what your car does 60-130 or whatever the Km/h conversion is with the mods and sprint booster. I've been thinking about getting one myself.
Old 06-30-22, 01:58 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 504GSF
Awesome, that's healthy numbers. I'm definitely interested in seeing what your car does 60-130 or whatever the Km/h conversion is with the mods and sprint booster. I've been thinking about getting one myself.
Yeah, I plan on doing 0 - 60 mph and 1/4 mile. Probably, 0 - 200 km/h as well if I could get a good enough space to stretch the legs. Hopefully, in the next couple of weeks, I can have some dragy videos.

SprintBooster is a great mod and it works well with the RR racing tune (in my opinion). A $300 mod that is so worth it. It alters the way you think about how the car delivers torque (if that makes sense). You are not getting any more torque, but how it is being delivered relative to your rapidly changing throttle inputs, changes. I think it almost makes the car feel like it has electric motor torque. Just simply you are getting everything happening so much sooner. It is less action/reaction and more you act and it happens right then.
Old 07-03-22, 07:04 AM
sensai
Advanced

Received 657 Likes on 227 Posts

door puddle lights.
Old 07-03-22, 08:58 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sensai
door puddle lights.
Makes sense. Thanks.
Old 07-05-22, 02:46 PM
fchdx
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

I'd say my carbon fiber hood vent. It's a small piece that is very often overlooked. Can't really even see it unless you're standing over the hood of the car. Way overpriced too IMO, but only one person makes it (I think) so he can set the price to whatever he wants.

Old 07-06-22, 08:14 AM
JT2MA71

Received 1,559 Likes on 679 Posts

I think all the mods I have on the car are there because I wanted them. So yeah, none that I can think of

Quick Reply: Name ONE modification on RCF you could do without