RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Carbon Fiber Canards for RC F?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-22, 07:49 PM
Idunno
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Canards for RC F?

Anyone out there know where I can get a set of quality carbon fiber front canards for a 2020 and up RC F? I’ve searched this forum and have turned up unsuccessful. I am looking for carbon fiber canards that resemble the LFA Nurburgring Edition. I’m thinking at this point that I may have to go through a custom shop that makes “one off” carbon fiber products that are spec’d to fit (which will probably cost a pretty penny and a long wait). Whatever it may be, any info would be appreciated…👍🏻😬

Old 08-18-22, 07:34 AM
SailorTPD
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

It shouldn't be difficult to make yourself. First get some light plywood from the hardware store and cut the end to match your body panel where you plan on putting it. then cover with carbon fiber fabric and marine epoxy layer by layer until it is the right thickness. Then finish shaping and sand (and sand, and sand, down to 600 grit), then apply finish laquer for the shine. If you want custom carbon fiber stuff, that's how you make it. You could use stryofoam instead of plywood, but I get better finish results with plywood.
Old 08-18-22, 10:23 AM
Idunno
7th Gear

Originally Posted by SailorTPD
It shouldn't be difficult to make yourself. First get some light plywood from the hardware store and cut the end to match your body panel where you plan on putting it. then cover with carbon fiber fabric and marine epoxy layer by layer until it is the right thickness. Then finish shaping and sand (and sand, and sand, down to 600 grit), then apply finish laquer for the shine. If you want custom carbon fiber stuff, that's how you make it. You could use stryofoam instead of plywood, but I get better finish results with plywood.
Thanks, but I’d rather buy it from a professional who knows what they’re doing. I know nothing of creating fiberglass and carbon pieces. 🤦🏻‍♂️😣😆
Old 08-18-22, 12:56 PM
SailorTPD
Intermediate

No worries. There are about a dozen or more instructionals on how to DIY carbon parts on you tube. Here's one, I just like DIY for custom stuff since the "pro's" don't care, while I do.

Old 08-18-22, 01:38 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,969 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Lol, sailor really wants you to make your own.
Old 08-18-22, 03:02 PM
SailorTPD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by macmaster
Lol, sailor really wants you to make your own.
Yah, I just hate to see folks waste hundreds of dollars on crap they could make themselves for tens of dollars. I say crap advisedly since a canard on an RCF would a) not look great and b) be useless. It looks like crap on the LFA, after all.
Old 08-18-22, 03:27 PM
Idunno
7th Gear

Originally Posted by SailorTPD
Yah, I just hate to see folks waste hundreds of dollars on crap they could make themselves for tens of dollars. I say crap advisedly since a canard on an RCF would a) not look great and b) be useless. It looks like crap on the LFA, after all.
I wouldn’t know until it’s actually on the car. I do agree that canards are absolutely useless and non functional on any car. But it is what it is and to each his own. Performance vehicles from Lexus are actually all crap compared to other manufacturers. RCFs are slow as **** but I ain’t complaining. Thanks for your input for what’s it’s worth .
Old 08-19-22, 06:35 AM
KennyFSU
Instructor

Received 337 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Idunno
I wouldn’t know until it’s actually on the car. I do agree that canards are absolutely useless and non functional on any car. But it is what it is and to each his own. Performance vehicles from Lexus are actually all crap compared to other manufacturers. RCFs are slow as **** but I ain’t complaining. Thanks for your input for what’s it’s worth .
Maui no ka oi! How many RCF over there? I want to ship mine to Maui one day.
Old 08-19-22, 03:15 PM
Idunno
7th Gear

Originally Posted by KennyFSU
Maui no ka oi! How many RCF over there? I want to ship mine to Maui one day.
I’m actually on Oahu. There aren’t too many RCFs in Hawaii but you do see them around every once in a while if you’re on the road a lot. 👍🏻
Old 08-20-22, 08:04 AM
SailorTPD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Idunno
I’m actually on Oahu. There aren’t too many RCFs in Hawaii but you do see them around every once in a while if you’re on the road a lot. 👍🏻
I owned a condo in Wahiawa from 1977 to 1980 while I was in the service (nuke submarine). Left Hawaii since I grew up in IL and liked driving interstates--driving in HI drove me nuts since the longest straightaway (back then) was about 2 miles total. There were some nice cars in HI even back then (and before the Ferrari's of Thomas Magnum).
Old 08-22-22, 06:42 AM
BrandonX
Driver

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Only one's I've seen are these metal ones.

https://www.aeroflowdynamics.com/pro...ont-canards-v1
Old 08-22-22, 07:19 AM
Idunno
7th Gear

Originally Posted by BrandonX
Only one's I've seen are these metal ones.

https://www.aeroflowdynamics.com/pro...ont-canards-v1
I’ve seen those also. Definitely don’t like the design. Thanks tho