RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Rcf tune

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-22, 03:02 PM
RCFNN
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rcf tune

has anyone tuned there rcfs after getting an exhaust and headers if so what tune module did you buy and did you take your car to a tuner for a custom tune?
Old 08-23-22, 03:14 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,802 Posts

I have intake and full exhaust (stock headers). I have the RR racing ECU tune. Very happy with it. No complaints. I did the remote tune so it is all using your laptop of reading/writing files via a dongle that is sent via mail by RR Racing. There are very noticeable gains especially in the midrange, paddle shift response and also power as well. My Dragy runs seem to be supporting that.
Old 08-23-22, 05:45 PM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

Received 317 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by RCFNN
has anyone tuned there rcfs after getting an exhaust and headers if so what tune module did you buy and did you take your car to a tuner for a custom tune?
I would highly recommend getting a custom tune either on dyno or street tune as opposed to an off-the shelf tune. Each RCF responds differently to a tune due to various combination of mod you may have and current condition of your engine. I wonder too if the fact each RCF engine is hand built could be a potential contributing factor.

No off-the shelf tune will give the same or even favorable improvements across the board. If you cannot get a custom tune you are better off not doing it at all is my thought about it. If you proceed with an off-the shelf tune do yourself a huge favor and get a before and after dyno. If the tune doesn't work you can revert back to original factory tune or send the datalog back to the tuner to make adjustments if possible. Most optimal scenario is still a custom tune specific to your car.

Already seen a couple of verified off-the shelf tunes give negative performance to understand it is a potential issue and it's not isolated to one tuner.

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I have intake and full exhaust (stock headers). My Dragy runs seem to be supporting that.
How do you arrive at this conclusion without baseline numbers?

Old 08-23-22, 05:58 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

How do you arrive at this conclusion without baseline numbers?
Because of the numbers it is putting down at 5300 feet DA, They are only possible with significantly more power across the board than stock.For example, best trap speed I got at that DA is 113 mph and it's translating to almost a, 119- 120 mph trap speed at sea level. I am waiting for the DA to go down hopefully in September or October as it gets colder and dense at night in those months and see how it affects the numbers

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 08-23-22 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-23-22, 07:35 PM
504GSF
Intermediate

Received 235 Likes on 112 Posts

Because of the numbers it is putting down at 5300 feet DA, They are only possible with significantly more power across the board than stock.For example, best trap speed I got at that DA is 113 mph and it's translating to almost a, 119- 120 mph trap speed at sea level. I am waiting for the DA to go down hopefully in September or October as it gets colder and dense at night in those months and see how it affects the numbers
That’s a strong trap speed. Have you done a 60-130 with your set up?

Like a baseline summer run to compare to when the weather changes?
Old 08-23-22, 07:48 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 504GSF
That’s a strong trap speed. Have you done a 60-130 with your set up?

Like a baseline summer run to compare to when the weather changes?
Yes just a couple of times.. My initial/first 60 - 130 mph run was 12.9 seconds (slammed into rev limiter in 2nd to 3rd and 4th to 5th, I believe) at a DA of 5300+ ft, but it is just the first few tries. It was just the very first run. The issue is the 4th to 5th shift. It happens just before 130 mph at around 127 mph. I am trying to figure out if I could stretch 4th gear to 130 mph. I have done only a few runs so there is more figuring out to do on shift points. It will go down to around 10 - 12 C at night time in September and October with higher more moisture content. I am hoping to see the DA go down significantly in Sep - Oct, hopefully.
Old 08-23-22, 07:51 PM
504GSF
Intermediate

Received 235 Likes on 112 Posts

Yes just a couple of times.. My initial/first 60 - 130 mph run was 12.9 seconds (slammed into rev limiter in 2nd to 3rd and 4th to 5th, I believe) at a DA of 5300+ ft, but it is just the first few tries. It was just the very first run. The issue is the 4th to 5th shift. It happens just before 130 mph at around 127 mph. I am trying to figure out if I could stretch 4th gear to 130 mph. I have done only a few runs so there is more figuring out to do on shift points. It will go down to around 10 - 12 C at night time in September and October with higher more moisture content. I am hoping to see the DA go down significantly in Sep - Oct, hopefully.
My 4th gear goes to about 132mph (on my tire/wheel combo), I hit the limiter right after the dragy says the run is complete.
Old 08-23-22, 08:42 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 504GSF
My 4th gear goes to about 132mph (on my tire/wheel combo), I hit the limiter right after the dragy says the run is complete.
Your circumference must be larger. 20 inch wheels? I am on the OEM 19 with 20 spokes. Maybe, next time I will try to hit the rev limiter in 4th gear and see if can get up to 130 mph on the Dragy before shifting up to 5th. Forgot to mention, I also had 50% fuel. I can get it down to low 12s possibly, if I can get all of the things figured out. The colder/denser air in Sept - Oct also should help bring the DA down significantly.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 08-23-22 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-24-22, 11:40 AM
Miggie
Pit Crew

Received 122 Likes on 63 Posts

I have straight pipes and about to get my PPE UEL headers installed in about 2-3 weeks. I'll probably be going with "Tuned by Loi", you can also check out "Delicious Tuning".
Old 08-24-22, 12:23 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Miggie
I have straight pipes and about to get my PPE UEL headers installed in about 2-3 weeks. I'll probably be going with "Tuned by Loi", you can also check out "Delicious Tuning".
Delicious tune is garbage. You end up losing power. I would not recommend that. Tuned by Loi seems to be quite good. I heard Tuned by Loi also increases the rev limit to 7600 rpm or something.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 08-24-22 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-01-22, 06:25 AM
Miggie
Pit Crew

Delicious tune is garbage. You end up losing power. I would not recommend that. Tuned by Loi seems to be quite good. I heard Tuned by Loi also increases the rev limit to 7600 rpm or something.
I'm curious, what is the benefit of increasing the rev limit?
Old 09-01-22, 06:55 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Miggie
I'm curious, what is the benefit of increasing the rev limit?
Gives you higher revs and if the horsepower is not dropping, it will make give more power through the rev range. Since RCF engine breathes really well at high rpms and pulling hard before the rev limit, probaby is making really good power/torque past 7300 - 7400 rpm stock limit. That is with Tuned by Loi. My RR Racing tune still has the stock rev limit so it is more on the safer side.
Old 09-02-22, 05:08 AM
Louczar1
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Gives you higher revs and if the horsepower is not dropping, it will make give more power through the rev range. Since RCF engine breathes really well at high rpms and pulling hard before the rev limit, probaby is making really good power/torque past 7300 - 7400 rpm stock limit. That is with Tuned by Loi. My RR Racing tune still has the stock rev limit so it is more on the safer side.
I went looking for any stock dyno charts to see if it would show when the HP would start dropping off. I did not find as many dyno charts as I thought I would. what little I could find was showing the HP dropping off a little bit starting at the 7100 -7200 area. That could be from just being stock with stock setting. I'm not sure. I personally am not a fan of raising redline with stock internals.

On another note, all this talk sure is giving me the bug for power upgrades... All the headers / exhaust talk is drool worthy. Better intake and a new tune as well. Cant do all at once (unless my bonus for my current project is HUGE)(i doubt it). Might have to start with the intake...
Old 09-02-22, 06:06 AM
Miggie
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Louczar1
I went looking for any stock dyno charts to see if it would show when the HP would start dropping off. I did not find as many dyno charts as I thought I would. what little I could find was showing the HP dropping off a little bit starting at the 7100 -7200 area. That could be from just being stock with stock setting. I'm not sure. I personally am not a fan of raising redline with stock internals.

On another note, all this talk sure is giving me the bug for power upgrades... All the headers / exhaust talk is drool worthy. Better intake and a new tune as well. Cant do all at once (unless my bonus for my current project is HUGE)(i doubt it). Might have to start with the intake...
Yeah I'm a little iffy on raising the redline so I'm just gonna leave that part as is
The following users liked this post:
Louczar1 (09-02-22)
Old 09-02-22, 06:41 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Louczar1

Good points. The peak power arrives at 7100 rpm and it is stable after that. I feel the car is usually pulling very hard when abruptly I slam into the rev limiter. Having said that, as much as a higher rev limit is tempting, I stuck with the stock rev limiter as RR racing keeps the stock rev limit. I am very happy with it and would much rather want to keep it safe for the engine and transmission.

The following users liked this post:
Louczar1 (09-02-22)

Quick Reply: Rcf tune