RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Alpheyga Issues w/ Spoiler - BEWARE

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-22, 07:50 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Alpheyga Issues w/ Spoiler - BEWARE

Edit: Wanted to provide a quick update on thijs. John finally reached out yesterday (last communication was 8/30) and assured me it would be fixed and working with me on a resolution.

Posting this on here as a last resort to get some eyes and insight on this issue, and let everyone know of a “reputable” brand in the Lexus space. Hoping some vendors who work with him on a day-to-day basis or anyone who knows him personally can chime in to help me resolve this issue.

I should preface this to say, although I have no Alpheyga parts on the car, I have always loved Alpheyga products (specifically the ISF wing) and loved the design and R&D that goes into their products. A lot of friends and fellow F members are running them on their cars. I have always the first to chime in and recommend their products when any F members ask for recommendations. I have been wanting to run this wing ever since I got the car.

Reached out to John , owner and CEO of Alpheyga directly for a RCF carbon fiber duckbill wing 5/23. Paid for 50% deposit that day, with promise of Aug completion date (made to order).

7/23 - wing ready picked up, (ready earlier than est date). Paid rest in cash. Upon taking home and unboxing, spotted some damage on the wing. Immediately reached out to John and he asked me was super receptive and apologetic, letting me know he could definitely swap it out and replace the wing.

Part of getting this wing meant parting out my old one. As of 7/23 , the car has been apart, truck liner taken apart, old wing/extenders sold, and waiting on this last part so car can be completed.

I have attempted multiple times to reach out to him, every response received as been more and more delayed, sometimes needing to double/triple text him to get a response. The last response I received to him was on 8/22, stating the spoiler was made, but has to be finished (trimming/clearcoat) and shooting for that weekend (Aug 27-28) to be done. Since then, I have attempted numerous texts, a voicemail, and his socials before posting this. As a fellow small business owner myself, I tried my best to contact and resolve the issue with him anyway I can and given him the benefit of the doubt prior to posting this up. My goal is to not destroy his business, or his credibility (as I know there are currently some active vendors who sell his parts here on a regular basis) but just let everyone know my experience personally with Alpheyga.

I am stuck with a damaged wing , after almost a 4 month wait and will need to figure out what to do or how to pay extra out of pocket to get it fixed. Communication is key, especially on made to order parts, and there is definitely a HUGE lack of communication and point-blank ghosting that occurred.

Tl;dr, owner and CEO John Morgan Evans, sold me a damaged RCF CF wing and stuck with damaged parts without no recourse

Last edited by 1sWt2GS; 09-15-22 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-12-22, 08:42 AM
504GSF
Intermediate

Received 235 Likes on 112 Posts

I can't really tell what that is on the spoiler from the pictures. But it looks like it could be compounded out.
The following users liked this post:
JT2MA71 (09-14-22)
Old 09-12-22, 08:43 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 504GSF
I can't really tell what that is on the spoiler from the pictures. But it looks like it could be compounded out.
I tried rubbing compound and quick detailer without any luck.

I know the wing is cleared from factory, or so I was told.

Old 09-12-22, 08:49 AM
stvincent
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 504GSF
I was going to say.
Wet sanding won't take that out?
Old 09-12-22, 08:50 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stvincent
I was going to say.
Wet sanding won't take that out?

I'm sure it will, but am not a body guy and afraid to mess up the wing.

Won't wet sanding mess up the clear coat and require reclear?

May have to be a last resort, just sucks waiting for something this long and you have to go and fix the issues yourself.

Last edited by 1sWt2GS; 09-12-22 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-12-22, 08:54 AM
stvincent
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Yeah it sucks.
It seems like many retail companies are hard to get in touch with since the pandemic.
Not sure if they are crazy back-ordered or dealing with too many inquiries.

Old 09-12-22, 09:09 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stvincent
Yeah it sucks.
It seems like many retail companies are hard to get in touch with since the pandemic.
Not sure if they are crazy back-ordered or dealing with too many inquiries.
From my understanding, company took a hiatus. Owner mentioned to me he was looking to get it back up and running but does not seem so.
Old 09-12-22, 09:24 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 778 Likes on 482 Posts

Really hard to tell from the picture what it is. Is it residue in the clear coat? Does it feel like scratches? From other spots of the spoiler it looks like there are contaminants in other spots of it that look like that same white color or possible tiny air bubbles?

Any way you can get better closer pictures of it? (also take a far picture so we can see what the spoiler looks like on the car, curious to see the duckbill) Wet sanding and then compounding/polishing might take it out if it's not all the way in the gel coat, but if it is and then they cleared over top of it, that isn't going to work....

Either live with it or take it to a body shop and get another opinion and have them fix it. Sucks but it seems clear that the original dude isn't helping you... Can you not file a charge back on your CC?

-Nigel
Old 09-12-22, 09:33 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nigel821
Really hard to tell from the picture what it is. Is it residue in the clear coat? Does it feel like scratches? From other spots of the spoiler it looks like there are contaminants in other spots of it that look like that same white color or possible tiny air bubbles?

Any way you can get better closer pictures of it? (also take a far picture so we can see what the spoiler looks like on the car, curious to see the duckbill) Wet sanding and then compounding/polishing might take it out if it's not all the way in the gel coat, but if it is and then they cleared over top of it, that isn't going to work....

Either live with it or take it to a body shop and get another opinion and have them fix it. Sucks but it seems clear that the original dude isn't helping you... Can you not file a charge back on your CC?

-Nigel
hr

here is a close up of the damage.

no pictures on the car right now, have not mounted it up until I can solve this issue.

vraa (09-12-22)
Old 09-12-22, 09:08 PM
AlexAviles
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 81 Posts

Dude. I know it frustrating. But but in the end it’s really not that big of a deal. I waited 6+ months for my exhaust and when I came in the f’ng tip was dented in on the top! How could that be? The whole thing is fine everywhere, a dent anywhere else but the top of one of the four tips would be no big deal right?
well, after going back and forth they gave me a hundred bucks off. I would rather it be perfect, but it wasn’t worth my time shipping it back then waiting a few month more months. Don’t let it get to you. Enjoy it how it is for now and give the guy some time. He’s probably dealing with something because if he ran a business, he’s definitely not just sitting around doing nothing and not responding to messages. If he’s a business owner he’s probably buried up to his *** in some work. I would suggest Offering him a fair, easy way out; maybe go to a shop and ask how much it would cost or pay to have it done and ask for the cost back or a portion of the cost. That’s what I did with the exhaust and I was happy to have it over even though I wasn’t totally pleased with the outcome, I was happy to have it overs and done with. The roads too short for us to be stressing over car parts.
vraa (09-13-22)
Old 09-14-22, 05:29 AM
JT2MA71

Received 1,578 Likes on 689 Posts

Looks more like scuff marks. It honestly looks like it can buffed out, a good compound and small rotary or DA polisher should do the job.
Old 09-14-22, 06:06 AM
Louczar1
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I personally have not ever "corrected" an issue on carbon fiber. He could try to DIY or take it to a body shop. He paid good money for it and will have to do more to it or pay someone else to fix it. Sucks that quality seems to not be the main concern for some businesses.
Old 09-15-22, 09:21 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Edit: Wanted to provide a quick update on thijs. John finally reached out yesterday (last communication was 8/30) and assured me it would be fixed and working with me on a resolution.
The following 3 users liked this post by 1sWt2GS:
JT2MA71 (09-16-22), Louczar1 (09-16-22), vraa (09-16-22)