SF Bay Area exhaust shop/Stock Airbox RCF

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-22, 12:11 PM
CarGoBoom
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default SF Bay Area exhaust shop/Stock Airbox RCF

Hi Guys,

This is my first time posting here and I'm hoping I can get some help. Does anyone know of an exhaust shop in the SF Bay Area that could help me fab a valved exhaust onto an invida exhaust? Reason being is I live in Foster City and there's a specific cop that keeps pulling me over. The first time he told me I was "going too fast" but he didn't know how fast I was going so he had to let me go. The second time he tried to ticket me for the tint being too dark (but when I told him it was stock he dropped it like a hot potato). The third time (yesterday) he pulled me over because my exhaust is "too loud" and because I have an illegal CAI even though he didn't even look under the hood. Then he told me to pop the hood and started poking around but since I don't think he knows what to look for, he could only get me on the intake. I asked him how he came to the conclusion that the exhaust was too loud and if he had a decibel meter. He obviously didn't and I had to argue that his conclusion was arbitrary unless he could actually measure it. This was another botched attempt to ticket me so he let me go. Now one thing I'd like to mention is I have an RCF that I bought off of IamNaeem earlier this year. It's got PPE Longtube headers, invidia exhaust, and Takeda CAI which are the only main concerns for CARB compliance. Outside of that, I shouldn't have issues with local PD or CHP.

So to avoid any issues with the numbnut with Foster City PD, do you guys have any recommendations? I'm looking for:

1) a stock RCF airbox/intake if anyone has one laying around since aFe doesn't have a CARB sticker for the intake. I also cannot find any CAI that is CARB legal.
2) Since I have PPE longtube headers, does anyone know how I can make the exhaust carb legal so I don't get popped? I'm concerned this cop may try to have my car impounded. I was either going to a) have the stock cats welded to the invidia right at the end of the headers or b) have an exhaust valve and high-flow cat/resonator installed that I can switch on and off. Going back to stock headers just won't be possible for me. There's gotta be some other option.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-12-22, 01:37 PM
sensai
Advanced

Received 662 Likes on 230 Posts

im in the south bay.

1) no help other than you're on the right track for getting a stock one.
2) you're gonna fail visual inspection if your primary and secondary cats aren't oem OR if your aftermarket parts aren't stamped with carb compliant and an executive order number OR unless you find a shop that will do a 'hot smog'. i have no comment on those for legality but you can research it. best bet without a hot smog is to go back to oem headers, cats and midpipe. if you don't have an oem resonated midpipe with eo carb compliant stamped secondary cats you'll likely fail visual unless the tech or cop doesn't care. folks that dont want the headache generally run oem headers and midpipe then change out axleback.

i run oem headers, ppe midpipe with high flow cats and resonaters and a gthaus ti axleback on my f. but i kept my midpipe in case i fail smog in 2028. i have a 2021 so it wont start for me until 7 yrs after. SJPD pulled me about a month ago for 'modified exhaust' but this cop knew what was up and was a car guy. he didn't ask about my cats but he did say 'that exhaust isnt stock' i was honest and told him i swapped out to a ti valved axleback. after he checked my DL and registrastion and saw i was good, he admired the car and we talked 'how rare it is'. he asked me to open the valves and let him hear it. then he told me to close them and keep them closed on my way out of town. lol. i thanked him and we both left. the leo talking to you doesnt seem so cool about it unfort....good luck!

here's an example of being carb compliant. my 08 tundra has the trd supercharger kit that is ca carb compliant. once the tech sees this they know the blower is good but still inspect for carb compliant cats.

Last edited by sensai; 09-12-22 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-12-22, 01:44 PM
CarGoBoom
Rookie

Would you know if I could get away with welding the stock cats to the catback exhaust? That's the only thing I can think of that would pass visual. If you don't know, would you have an idea of someone I could speak to about this?
Old 09-12-22, 02:00 PM
sensai
Advanced

Received 662 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGoBoom
Would you know if I could get away with welding the stock cats to the catback exhaust? That's the only thing I can think of that would pass visual. If you don't know, would you have an idea of someone I could speak to about this?
you could try the guys at sounds of speed in santa clara. they do alot of car mods are fabricators and have a master level welder on staff.
Old 09-12-22, 02:04 PM
CarGoBoom
Rookie

Much appreciated. I'll reach out to them and report back just in case there's someone else that gets stuck going up ****** Creek without a paddle.
Old 09-12-22, 02:10 PM
Movelexus
Pit Crew

Received 185 Likes on 81 Posts

Hi,
In the south bay here as well and Sensai makes a good recommendation with sounds of speed. Sucks you also have to deal with CA law enforcement.
Old 09-12-22, 02:22 PM
CarGoBoom
Rookie

Talking

Originally Posted by sensai
you could try the guys at sounds of speed in santa clara. they do alot of car mods are fabricators and have a master level welder on staff.

John at Sounds of Speed is the man. Seeing him next week. Great recommendation Sensai!
Old 09-12-22, 02:31 PM
CarGoBoom
Rookie

Originally Posted by sensai
im in the south bay.

1) no help other than you're on the right track for getting a stock one.
2) you're gonna fail visual inspection if your primary and secondary cats aren't oem OR if your aftermarket parts aren't stamped with carb compliant and an executive order number OR you find a shop that will do a 'hot smog'. i have no comment on those for legality but you can research it. best bet without a hot smog is to go back to oem headers, cats and midpipe. if you don't have an oem resonated midpipe with eo carb compliant stamped secondary cats you'll likely fail visual unless the tech or cop doesn't care. folks that dont want the headache generally run oem headers and midpipe then change out axleback.

i run oem headers, ppe midpipe with high flow cats and resonaters and a gthaus ti axleback on my f. but i kept my midpipe in case i fail smog in 2028. i have a 2021 so it wont start for me until 7 yrs after. SJPD pulled me about a month ago for 'modified exhaust' but this cop knew what was up and was a car guy. he didn't ask about my cats but he did say 'that exhaust isnt stock' i was honest and told him i swapped out to a ti valved axleback. after he checked my DL and registrastion and saw i was good, he admired the car and we talked 'how rare it is'. he asked me to open the valves and let him hear it. then he told me to close them and keep them closed on my way out of town. lol. i thanked him and we both left. the leo talking to you doesnt seem so cool about it unfort....good luck!

here's an example of being carb compliant. my 08 tundra has the trd supercharger kit that is ca carb compliant. once the tech sees this they know the blower is good but still inspect for carb compliant cats.
Part of the problem going back to stock is that its such a PITA to get to the headers. And it would be such a shame to pay $$$ for install and go from a beautifully flowing exhaust to the garbage stock headers. You're lucky the SJ Leo was into cars. My guy just seems like he's trying everything he can to ticket me. What's funny is everytime he pulls me over, he shakes like he's having some kind of adrenaline rush or nervous breakdown. Its really odd.
Old 09-12-22, 02:51 PM
Movelexus
Pit Crew

3 times same officer is starting to sound like harassment.
Old 09-12-22, 04:18 PM
CarGoBoom
Rookie

But legally I don't think there is anything I can do about it. Next time this happens I'm going to take his name, badge number, and ask for his supervisor. But only AFTER I get a stock air intake and resolve the exhaust.

That being said, does anyone want to sell their stock intake? For some reason I can't post on market place and ask.
Old 09-12-22, 04:33 PM
Movelexus
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by CarGoBoom
But legally I don't think there is anything I can do about it. Next time this happens I'm going to take his name, badge number, and ask for his supervisor. But only AFTER I get a stock air intake and resolve the exhaust.

That being said, does anyone want to sell their stock intake? For some reason I can't post on market place and ask.
What exactly do you need? If you only have a carbon pipe replacement this might suffice. If you also need the airbox with the flap valve different story.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234687268710
Old 09-12-22, 04:36 PM
CarGoBoom
Rookie

Thanks for trying but I need the whole assembly. I may end up having to go direct to lexus for it.
Old 09-12-22, 04:41 PM
Movelexus
Pit Crew

Yeah in that case it's not a cheap part... following is for 2015-2019 MY.

https://www.lexusoeparts.com/oem-par...bly-1770038231

Last edited by Movelexus; 09-12-22 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-12-22, 04:44 PM
Movelexus
Pit Crew

Maybe whoever sold you the car still has the stock part?
Old 09-12-22, 04:45 PM
CarGoBoom
Rookie

Nope. He sold everything except the oem headers with cats.

Quick Reply: SF Bay Area exhaust shop/Stock Airbox RCF