RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

High mileage vs low mileage: some shocking truths (E92 M3)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-22, 03:06 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,783 Posts
Default High mileage vs low mileage: some shocking truths (E92 M3)

In terms of purchase, this debate of low mileage vs high mileage has happened quite a lot. This video has some good eye openers on it in terms of purchase of a high mileage car with multiple owners in the past especially if it has been driven hard by previous owners.. A disclaimer that I understand this is an extreme example since some of the contributing factors are BMW putting quite a lot of flimsy and weak parts and this won't apply exactly especially considering RCF's rear subframe is built like a tank with aluminum with lot of rigidity baked into it via enforcements (hence some of the weight), but wear and tear of things like bushings etc. naturally makes the car lesser than what it was when it was new.

Nevertheless, shocking to see the rear subframe of this E92 M3 at 152,000 miles had cracks and potential holes developing in the rear subframe that it was beyond salvageable and they had to buy a new one.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 09-17-22 at 03:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cvt (09-17-22)
Old 09-17-22, 03:49 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 546 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
In terms of purchase, this debate of low mileage vs high mileage has happened quite a lot. This video has some good eye openers on it in terms of purchase of a high mileage car with multiple owners in the past especially if it has been driven hard by previous owners.. A disclaimer that I understand this is an extreme example since some of the contributing factors are BMW putting quite a lot of flimsy and weak parts and this won't apply exactly especially considering RCF's rear subframe is built like a tank with aluminum with lot of rigidity baked into it via enforcements (hence some of the weight), but wear and tear of things like bushings etc. naturally makes the car lesser than what it was when it was new.

Nevertheless, shocking to see the rear subframe of this E92 M3 at 152,000 miles had cracks and potential holes developing in the rear subframe that it was beyond salvageable and they had to buy a new one.

Can Rear Subframe Bushes finally fix our 152,000 mile E92 M3? - YouTube
Wow...they never learned from the E46 woes....but you're just rolling the dice on a 100k mile m3.

I agree with your assessment Rolla. If you happen to buy an RCF clipping close to 100k miles then some money needs to be set aside for bushings, shocks, tires, etc. I bought my RCF with hard all season tires and the performance left me in a meh state....i got softer summer tires and it literally woke the car up.

It was just discovered that the ISF forums that the exhaust manifold leak / cracking issue was most likely due to bad motor mounts....so mind the rubber and the fluids for maintenance...(giggity)
05RollaXRS (09-17-22)
Old 09-17-22, 04:08 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cvt
Wow...they never learned from the E46 woes....but you're just rolling the dice on a 100k mile m3.

I agree with your assessment Rolla. If you happen to buy an RCF clipping close to 100k miles then some money needs to be set aside for bushings, shocks, tires, etc. I bought my RCF with hard all season tires and the performance left me in a meh state....i got softer summer tires and it literally woke the car up.

It was just discovered that the ISF forums that the exhaust manifold leak / cracking issue was most likely due to bad motor mounts....so mind the rubber and the fluids for maintenance...(giggity)
LOL@the usual references....

Agreed on expecting shocks, tires, bushings etc, as expected parts to replace when it gets to high mileage. While a used RCF for sale with high mileage, would never suffer something like this because of what I described above, it will highly depend on how much wear and tear has been accumulated on it. A big factor is also how hard the car was driven by previous owners? I think this M3 owned by Evolve must have been driven very hard by previous owners, which makes these weak flimsy parts start to fall apart as the miles get higher. In other words, if this E92 M3 had been driven gingerly with some spirited driving here and there, probably it would not have the rear subframe falling apart like that once the miles got higher. I think a lot of it is luck and what the buyer could dig into about the previous use/history of the car.
Old 09-22-22, 06:13 AM
Louczar1
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I used to have cough cough a jetta TDI for my commuting when gas was so expensive some years back. At 124K miles, the turbo went out (getting it fixed is a long story). The shop that did the work was awesome! When i picked the Jetta up, I noticed there was 3 different BMW's in their shop. I made a comment to the mechanic about so many BMW's there. He looked at me and said that he has worked on many BMW's and that he would never own one.
The following 2 users liked this post by Louczar1:
MCB1970 (09-22-22), SailorTPD (09-22-22)
Old 09-22-22, 12:42 PM
SailorTPD
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

BMW...Break My Wallet. I own a BMW motorcycle. Most expensive motorcycle I've ever owned. Owned Hondas and Bridgestone (yah, they once made a motorcycle) and Harley. My experience with the brand is limited to the motorcycle, but that is enough to steer me away from owning one of their cars.
Old 09-22-22, 02:59 PM
KennyFSU
Instructor

Received 334 Likes on 211 Posts

After having owned 2 Bimmers, never again.

The E36 M3 had the same rear subframe crack and the F22 M235i had fuel pump issues.
Old 09-22-22, 05:00 PM
Yri
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

They may be the 'ultimate driving machine' but in order to maintain such a title, they need to be maintained extremely regularly and monitored all the time. Kinda takes the fun out of your sports car when you're constantly worrying about random things going wrong
Old 09-22-22, 05:18 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Yri
They may be the 'ultimate driving machine' but in order to maintain such a title, they need to be maintained extremely regularly and monitored all the time. Kinda takes the fun out of your sports car when you're constantly worrying about random things going wrong
That is the marketing pitch, but due to the cost cutting, that flimsy and weak rear subframe is not good for handling. It makes the rear become unpredictable due to lack of rigidity and would make subframe twist/roll under high torsional loads. Probably high stress of drifting over such extended number of years of time (and mileage) took a toll on it, which led to cracks being developed.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 09-22-22 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-22-22, 10:03 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 546 Likes on 362 Posts

When they work they are excellent…you gotta get them young when they are taunt…make sure you do a background check or else it will cause you trouble for life.

But back to BMWs…yeah I hear they are fun too….

05RollaXRS (09-22-22)