RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

OEM Brake Kit - fair price?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-23, 11:21 AM
Moos0004
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Don't overlook bedding. I did 3 sets, Five each set of hard braking from 80mph down to 20mph. then drive for about 20 minutes to cool down. I also lightly sanded the rotors to remove old pad material before installation.
The following users liked this post:
vraa (04-24-23)
Old 04-24-23, 03:10 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 547 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Acomp3SC
Thanks!! I just went with the Active Performance pads, from RockAuto. This was a great deal. Can't wait to get them in and replaced to see how they feel.
Please post a review ASAP. I plan to look at these this summer.
Old 04-25-23, 06:43 AM
jim2527
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexAviles
First off. Do you have a brake pad light on the dash? If not, you do not need to replace your wear sensors.

Secondly, avoid the stock pads at all cost! I bought my F with brand new pads so I decided I would live with drowning in brake dust and the annoying screeching because I didn’t want to spend money. I’m too cheap and too poor. why replace perfectly good pads right? Wrong! I could easily tell the finish on the wheels was taking a beating from all the dust and the cleaning. After 2 years I decided to go with the Tom’s pads. After 1 week I fully regret not changing the stock pads on day one.

Lastly, I looked all over the web for a “brake parts hardware kit”. It’s like 100+ dollars a side everywhere. And then at the last minute I checked rock auto and they have full sets, both sides, for $15! A huge savings!

My 2c. It’s a really easy job so spend the money on good aftermarket pads and save a ton of money doing the job yourself. The damage alone to the wheels from all the iron brake dust is not worth keeping the stock pads. Before and after below.

There's something seriously wrong. Look at the 'sweep area', the area where the pads make contact with the rotors. Top pic looks fine, bottom pic has a greatly reduced 'sweep area'. Why?
Old 04-25-23, 09:09 AM
LoSt180
Advanced

Received 605 Likes on 329 Posts

Those Dynamic Friction pads look pretty sketchy to me. Only one person using them here. I could only find one other forum post of someone trying them on a Camaro and quickly realizing they aren't up to snuff. Only other info was a video of the CEO basically saying their customers are the parts warehouses, not end users. Kind of crazy there's so many hyping cheap no-name pads on their $80k car (doesn't matter if you got it used, these are still $80-90k cars when it comes to maintenance).
Old 04-25-23, 12:53 PM
Moos0004
Driver

Spoiler

I actually bought these pads because of the CEO backing up his product and the published spider chart showing the test data. IMO if a performance brake/tire supplier will not show test data (spider chart) I will not buy their product. These work Much better than the brembo that I took off the car in all aspects from noise, dust level and braking performance and I am glad I found them. As far as quality I have installed dozens of pads on cars and sport bike and these are some of the best looking pads. I am able to brake a lot later than what I used to. In the video below I actually overshot that straight in the past and take the outside loop with the brembo because of brake fade, with these pads I had no issues. This instructor was with me previously when I overshot and we made a comment towards the end about braking improvements. I actually shredded my brand new front ps4s during this session. Here is the YouTube video. Not sure how to link it properly. For me if I click the word YouTube it takes me to it.

Last edited by Moos0004; 04-25-23 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-25-23, 03:29 PM
cvt
Racer

Originally Posted by Moos0004

I actually bought these pads because of the CEO backing up his product and the published spider chart showing the test data. IMO if a performance brake/tire supplier will not show test data (spider chart) I will not buy their product. These work Much better than the brembo that I took off the car in all aspects from noise, dust level and braking performance and I am glad I found them. As far as quality I have installed dozens of pads on cars and sport bike and these are some of the best looking pads. I am able to brake a lot later than what I used to. In the video below I actually overshot that straight in the past and take the outside loop with the brembo because of brake fade, with these pads I had no issues. This instructor was with me previously when I overshot and we made a comment towards the end about braking improvements. I actually shredded my brand new front ps4s during this session. Here is the YouTube video. Not sure how to link it properly. For me if I click the word YouTube it takes me to it. https://youtu.be/cdFPBoS97e4
Links don't work. Can you give us more insight and a more thorough review of the pads?

I'm not going to be one of those people that just judge without having any experience with them. For $90 I'll take a hit and see what they are like and review back to the forum. If there is indeed a $90 semi-performance item for the RCF then that's great. If not then it's back to my initial option to get Tom's for $400.

So there will be 3 people in 2URs that try them out and give reviews.
Old 04-25-23, 03:37 PM
Moos0004
Driver

Originally Posted by cvt
Links don't work. Can you give us more insight and a more thorough review of the pads?

I'm not going to be one of those people that just judge without having any experience with them. For $90 I'll take a hit and see what they are like and review back to the forum. If there is indeed a $90 semi-performance item for the RCF then that's great. If not then it's back to my initial option to get Tom's for $400.

So there will be 3 people in 2URs that try them out and give reviews.
IF you click on the word YouTube at the top it works or just copy and paste the link. Sorry I don't the correct way to link it. I am not saying it they best pad but way better that what I had on the car. I am sure they are better out there but I am satisfied with these and I am a very aggressive driver. I know I was able to brake really late on the track with no issues issue.
copy and paste lik if dont work (https://youtu.be/cdFPBoS97e4) remove () before pasting
The following users liked this post:
cvt (04-25-23)
Old 04-25-23, 03:55 PM
cvt
Racer

Originally Posted by Moos0004
IF you click on the word YouTube at the top it works or just copy and paste the link. Sorry I don't the correct way to link it. I am not saying it they best pad but way better that what I had on the car. I am sure they are better out there but I am satisfied with these and I am a very aggressive driver. I know I was able to brake really late on the track with no issues issue.
copy and paste lik if dont work (https://youtu.be/cdFPBoS97e4) remove () before pasting
I run the brembo pads and it does their job in day to day driving. Even initial bite is good. For $80 I can't complain. What it won't do is do repeated hi speed / hi temp braking like a track day or an aggressive canyon run. The brembos are great since i daily my car 99% of the time so if these are high temp pads that can endure repeated stops for $100...then that's something to look into. Hardly any reviews on these pads so props to you for taking one for the team. I guess I'll be guinea pig #3 after Acomp3SC.
Old 04-25-23, 03:58 PM
cvt
Racer

Here is Moose's vid on the pads on a track day (hope it works). The link in the quote above works though...so not sure what is going on.

Old 04-26-23, 03:05 PM
Moos0004
Driver

I would love to have feedback from anyone who has tried the dynamic friction on a bigger track with hard braking zone and elevated ambient temp. They work well for me on a smaller track but I am curious to see how they hold up on a big track with longer straights. I am thinking about going to a bigger track this summer.
The following 2 users liked this post by Moos0004:
cvt (04-27-23), vraa (04-26-23)
Old 04-27-23, 04:16 PM
Acomp3SC
6th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cvt
I noticed on Rock Auto they have track pads (above in performance than the Active Performance). Hear anything on those?

At $90-$100...maybe i'll try them to see.

I'm still planning on getting Tom's later on if they don't pan out.
I ordered the Active Performance from Rock Auto Tuesday, front and rear with sensors, including shipping and it was under $270. I cannot wait to get them installed this weekend. Was very happy to see the discussion on this topic. Thank you!!!
Old 04-27-23, 06:58 PM
cvt
Racer

Originally Posted by Acomp3SC
I ordered the Active Performance from Rock Auto Tuesday, front and rear with sensors, including shipping and it was under $270. I cannot wait to get them installed this weekend. Was very happy to see the discussion on this topic. Thank you!!!
Let me know if there is a bed in procedure. You may need a couple hundred miles for pad transfer.

I had Stop Tech Sport pads for my ISF and those were plenty enough for canyon and daily needs. At the time I got them for around $120…high operating temp (1,300F) and was able to do hard repeated braking. They dusted and squealed but they bit down hard.

I am hoping these pads punch above their price weight as well. If not I’ll be contacting MIJ for some Tom’s.
Old 05-09-23, 09:51 AM
Louczar1
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Anyone ever try the PowerStop Evolution pads? They were suggested to me. Just looking for any feedback if someone has tried them