Road Course and Auto-X Discussion about road course, time trial and autocross racing.

stand a chance in autoX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-03, 06:20 AM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Right on bro.

Well put Rmm. It;s so true. you see alot a bad driver's w/ real nice cars do very poorly cus. their driving too fast into the turns.
They really don't know what their car can do & end up speeding into the turns & not exiting properly. That's why I beleive that you should(everyone) go & take her for a spin cus. you'll end up learning how to drive your GS (SAFTY) if the need ever occurs.
Ya know the real driver test should be done at the AUTOCROSS track so people can learn how to control their cars. JMO.

Paul
Old 01-26-03, 02:15 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Right on bro. Autocross is the way to go !

Originally posted by PAULGS430
Well put Rmm. It;s so true. you see alot a bad driver's w/ real nice cars do very poorly cus. their driving too fast into the turns.
They really don't know what their car can do & end up speeding into the turns & not exiting properly. That's why I beleive that you should(everyone) go & take her for a spin cus. you'll end up learning how to drive your GS (SAFTY) if the need ever occurs.
Ya know the real driver test should be done at the AUTOCROSS track so people can learn how to control their cars. JMO.

Paul
We're definitely on the same page here Paul. To back your comments up further, in my younger days I use to hone my driving skills on freeway offramps and canyon roads. Every time I did a suspension mod I would take the car out for a spin, literally ! I probably spun my car over 20 times that year, luckily I never hit anything. As each mod was done, my car handled better and better and I would have to push the car faster to find it's new limits. I realized that as my speed increased, the risk of losing it and totalling the car got greater. I eventually took it to the autocross.

Now I was able to push the car without fear of hitting anything more than some cones. I could drive the car ***** out, get hairy loose and still save the car in many cases. After a year of autocross, I learned the "right" way to drive my car. I knew my cars limits and my skill limits.

Long story short, I feel I became a better driver on the street. I could now push my car up to 95% and not 110% over-my- head.

Also, if I went over the limit, I had gained enough experience to try to save it.

you see alot a bad driver's w/ real nice cars do very poorly cus. their driving too fast into the turns.
They really don't know what their car can do & end up speeding into the turns & not exiting properly. JMO.
Totally agree. One of the biggest mistakes novices make is to try to take the turns too fast and don't set themselves up for exit speed out of the turns.

Example Novice driving impression: "I was on his 3utt in the turns, but he always pulls away from me on the straight. Gee, my car handles better in the turns; now if I only had his horsepower on the straight I would definitely be faster"

WRONG - The other guy is faster because he set up the turn properly to have greater exit speed onto the straight. (This is assuming both cars actually had around the same horsepower and handling capability)

Last edited by RMMGS4; 01-26-03 at 02:20 PM.