RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

03 RX300 9in after market system

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-23, 10:35 AM
03lexusex300
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question 03 RX300 9in after market system

I am changing out my 03 RX300 original system with a 9-in 16 double din aftermarket system by HIKITY(Amazon). The wiring harness(plug & play( they send does not fit any of the existing connectors(harness) even though they said it fits my Lexus.
Their engineer sent another harness with CanBus. Two connectors fit the blue connectors on the original harness and one fits the CD connector. However the Unit does NOT power up or any sound/lights at all. Their +ve and -ve wires
on their cable does not go to any power wires on the Lexus connectors. Has anyone done this or similar upgrade and where did you get the correct wire cable for plug and play. I don't want to cut any wires on the Lexus harness.
Attached are pics of my Lexus connectors/Harness. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you ALL
PS: Ther unit works great cause I got it set up with my 2010 Tacoma to test

Old 06-11-23, 06:47 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,106 Likes on 995 Posts

Please keep in mind "lexus" does not mean all Lexus. If you manage to get the seller down to Model yr RX300, you have to further ensure it matches the sound system "nakamichi" or non Nakamichi. Nav/non-nav. Jumping to Toyota as is yet another leap.

Salim
Old 06-11-23, 06:05 PM
03lexusex300
10th Gear

Hi Salim
Thank you for responding. How do I know if it's Nakamichi or Non-Nakamichi. Is there any information on the radio that tells me that
Thx
Old 06-11-23, 09:12 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

The head unit that you pulled out should have it silkscreened on it. I think the other choice is Pioneer.

Good luck.

Salim
Old 06-14-23, 05:56 AM
03lexusex300
10th Gear

Default RX300 Radio

It says Toyota on the display unit and Toyota/Pioneer on the Cassette unit

Old 06-14-23, 03:57 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Next thing would be to make sure the harness is for Lexus Pioneer system.

Salim
Old 06-17-23, 12:34 PM
03lexusex300
10th Gear

Much appreciation to the helps on this project. After many hrs searching online for 03 RX300 Toyota radio/system wiring diagrams and matching connectors for
my 9/10.1" after market system I have finally found one. Very frustrating as Toyota simply tried maybe a hundred different wiring configurations even for the
same brand radios. For my 03 RX300 I found the Prius wiring connectors and pins location R3, R4 and R5 was the closest. Be aware that even the Toyota 86120 connectors
have same shape and fit, but the pin designations are not correct for the 03 RX300 and you could fry your wires or components.
I am attaching pics of the After Market CanBus(with JBL or car amp). My apologies for not knowing exactly how I got it but I bought several power cables and mix and
match by trial and error but pertinent information are shown in pics if you need this particular CanBus + Power cable for your RX300. I am so stoked the system works with CarPlay &
Auto Play wireless. Now I have to figure out how to remove the front cigarette lighter and install a double USB in its place for the wire CarPlay. Any help is much
appreciated. I have watched several YouTube videos and they all look simple enough but my RX300's CL is not the same as they show on the videos. Mine has a side power
connector on the side and that's the one I'm having issues removing. I am also attaching a picture for your help.
Dang the internet just went down so I'll have to come back to attach pictures and send. Here' the CanBus infor in case pics don't attach: Raise Can Bus Decoder P/N G-RZ-FT62 230220
For: 98-05 RX300(Taiwan). Power Cable: F3061 98-05 Lexus RX300 ShengHui 20230228(this is the only power cable that works as the power wires are on a separate 6-pin connector(Prius R4 connector) and not with the
speakers connector like most others).
My apologies for the lengthy post but hoping it will make life easier for someone with a similar project

Last edited by 03lexusex300; 06-17-23 at 01:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mhay (07-16-23)
Old 06-17-23, 01:19 PM
03lexusex300
10th Gear

mhay (07-16-23)
Old 06-17-23, 02:52 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

I think there is an aftermarket double din available [just the physical box ... wiring and control of functions is not part of of it].

Few more things that you might want to think about.
1. Non standard pre levels ,, dual differential l+/l-, r+/r- instead of L, & R [I assume you are not counting on using the Amp + sub of RX or even Radio, cassette]
2. AC functions that are built into the radio/head-unit.
3. Logical control of accessories ... I think the default mode is Radio [there is intelligence built in as to enable one source and if the intended does not respond, the radio is turned on] [Serial control]

Salim
Old 06-17-23, 08:40 PM
JohanH
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
1. Non standard pre levels ,, dual differential l+/l-, r+/r- instead of L, & R [I assume you are not counting on using the Amp + sub of RX or even Radio, cassette]
Small correction: L- and R- are just lifted grounds, not L+ and R+ inverted. They are lifted to help prevent noise entering the soundsystem.

And to the OP: I'd like to see the system he's trying to install or a link to what it is, because I agree with Salim if it's not really intended for the car, it will be very difficult to make everything work.
Old 06-18-23, 06:09 AM
03lexusex300
10th Gear

Thumbs up Aftermarket 9/10.1in system sounds great

Thank you all for the responses with valuable information. I am starting to re-install all the small components in the dash unit and will update if everything works.
So far just testing the touch screen controls and the music sounds great. The cassette player and CD changer are out the door. The CanBus takes care of the
car amp. This harness so far is straight plug and play(awesome) with no wire cutting or splices accept for the back up camera when I get to install it. The only thing
with this harness is I don't see a Backup/Reverse wire(labelled) like I've seen in other after market power cables. There's a pink wire labelled 'Low Electrical' and I'm wondering
if that's the Reverse wire(universal color code is pink?)
PS: I got the cigarette lighter out(RAV4 C/L removal YouTube video lol)
Old 06-18-23, 06:24 AM
03lexusex300
10th Gear

Caution:
If you are going to do a similar upgrade with any after market system, be extra careful of the power harness they send you even though they say it's a plug and play for the Lexus RX300.
If the Power wires Red, Black, Yellow are in the same connector with the speaker wires then it's wrong and will blow your radio fuse(7.5A). Mine kept blowing even with the re-engineered
harness they sent until I figured out as mentioned previously(Prius wiring connectors) that the Power wires are on the separate 6 pin connector R4(Prius). The Double Din harness above(pics)
takes care of the blown fuses issues as you can see the Red, Black and yellow are on it's own separate connector that goes with the R4 connector on the car harness. Then again, this is
what works for my 03 RX300 and it may not work with yours. Hope it helps.
Old 06-18-23, 07:22 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by JohanH
Small correction: L- and R- are just lifted grounds, not L+ and R+ inverted. They are lifted to help prevent noise entering the soundsystem.

And to the OP: I'd like to see the system he's trying to install or a link to what it is, because I agree with Salim if it's not really intended for the car, it will be very difficult to make everything work.
They are true differential signals and the RMS at 1KHz in not 1v. Technically one can ignore say the l- and use l+ with respect to ground and feed the next stage. The concept [which you alluded to in your post] is that when the two signals are subtracted and halved the noise is eliminated. I scoped them and built an opamp based circuit which sits lost in my hobby tray/box. If interested the details are in Aux input thread(s).

I think the discussion in this thread is based pin discarding (setting aside) the base audio system.

Salim
Old 06-18-23, 09:42 AM
JohanH
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
They are true differential signals and the RMS at 1KHz in not 1v. Technically one can ignore say the l- and use l+ with respect to ground and feed the next stage.
I stand corrected. I was probably thinking about the connection between CD-changer and Head Unit, which is unbalanced.
Old 07-06-23, 05:32 AM
03lexusex300
10th Gear

Default 03 RX300 9" system Upgrade Successful

Hi All. Thank you for the great responses to my project. It is now completed and successfully easy. Only thing left is add a back up camera and i'll be soooo stoked(upgrade was for my daughter and she is so bombed when she got RX300 car with the upgrade system and it didn't cost her a penny, lol) True Plug and Play using a Kufine 9" Octa Core 3GB + 32GB from Amazon $179.00 + the power Harness I posted in a previous message as opposed to $850 the audio/stereo shop was going to charge me lol.
Make sure when you do your upgrade and before you buy contact Kufine on Amazon with pics of the back(connectors) of your existing unit/radio and all pertinent information(JBL or non-jbl) for your project so they can make sure to send you the correct
power Harness with CanBus if JBL. I had to wait an extra two weeks for the right harness since the one that came with the unit was for a non jbl system and it did not work. I even went to the car audio installer asking for the correct harness but they wanted me to buy the Metra unit for $500 + $300 to install + $150 to install back up camera, and they talked trash about the Amazon/Ebay Foreign/Chinese imitation junks. I love American made but they are totally unaffordable especially here in CA, lol.
Thanks again and good luck on your projects. My current one is my 2010 Tacoma upgrade to a 9" system. Wish me luck lol
JohnnyGee (08-14-24)

Quick Reply: 03 RX300 9in after market system