RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Transmission solenoids

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-23 | 10:25 PM
Klao
3rd Gear

Default Transmission solenoids

I have a 1999 lexus RX300 with transmission problems. Check engine code states shift solenoid A electrical. I switched out all shift solenoids and still have same code. Weird thing is, at times transmission will work fine but when driving and comes to a stop for a bit, the transmission will go into a weird mode and start in 2nd gear? After that the transmission will not go pass 3rd gear. My rpm will be at 4000 and climb high as speed climbs higher. At times the check engine light will disappear and car runs great for a bit than right back to weird mode. Can't figure out what the root cause is after changing shift selonids. Need help!
Old 10-28-23 | 12:09 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

I have a car with a similar problem the transmission is simply worn out. It's possible replacing the entire valve body will fix things or it could have further problems. How many miles? Often this transmission fails at 160-200K miles.

Last edited by LeX2K; 10-28-23 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-28-23 | 08:41 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Klao
I have a 1999 lexus RX300 with transmission problems. Check engine code states shift solenoid A electrical. I switched out all shift solenoids and still have same code. Weird thing is, at times transmission will work fine but when driving and comes to a stop for a bit, the transmission will go into a weird mode and start in 2nd gear? After that the transmission will not go pass 3rd gear. My rpm will be at 4000 and climb high as speed climbs higher. At times the check engine light will disappear and car runs great for a bit than right back to weird mode. Can't figure out what the root cause is after changing shift selonids. Need help!
The error code "solenoid A electrical" is simply like all other codes ... malfunction detected in operation. The actual solenoid could be bad or the wiring or even something in the sense for failure. A proper diagnosis is required although at times throwing parts ... like blindly replacing a solenoid ... can work .. that is if the solenoid was truly bad.

So what are the new error codes after the installation of the solenoids. Same as before or something new? Keep in mind you can have a mechanical problem with an aging transmission. There are thin hydraulic channels which are operated by steering the fluid by the solenoids. If a suspended particle gets in there that starts the modulation of fluid independent of the solenoid.

I have limited knowledge of outrans and beyond drain and fill, I would take it to a mechanic.

Salim
Old 10-28-23 | 08:44 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I have a car with a similar problem the transmission is simply worn out. It's possible replacing the entire throttle body will fix things or it could have further problems. How many miles? Often this transmission fails at 160-200K miles.
Throttle body and transmission are two different ends of the machine. Although they work together to form a system but I fail to see a direct connection. If you are having trouble with either or both ends of the system, please do the repairs in isolation. Do not embark on both repairs together because if something goes wrong in one repair it will haunt you to narrow down what is caused the mishap.

Salim
The following users liked this post:
kizmazz (11-19-23)
Old 10-28-23 | 09:50 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by salimshah
Throttle body and transmission are two different ends of the machine.
I meant to say valve body. Fixed.
Old 10-28-23 | 07:20 PM
Klao
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by salimshah
The error code "solenoid A electrical" is simply like all other codes ... malfunction detected in operation. The actual solenoid could be bad or the wiring or even something in the sense for failure. A proper diagnosis is required although at times throwing parts ... like blindly replacing a solenoid ... can work .. that is if the solenoid was truly bad.

So what are the new error codes after the installation of the solenoids. Same as before or something new? Keep in mind you can have a mechanical problem with an aging transmission. There are thin hydraulic channels which are operated by steering the fluid by the solenoids. If a suspended particle gets in there that starts the modulation of fluid independent of the solenoid.

I have limited knowledge of outrans and beyond drain and fill, I would take it to a mechanic.

Salim

The same code came back after I switched the selonoids. That led me to think it's not the selonoids that are bad. I'm thinking it's a bad sensor?

Today I drove the car and it ran great for most of the day. When I started it this morning the check engine light was on, but the transmission seemed to be fine and shifted through gears with no issues. I stopped by a buddy house turned the car off for 45 min. When I started the car to go home the check engine light went away and the car ran perfect! I drove it around town for a few hours to see what would happen. No lights or weird gear shifts throughout the evening, until I went through Mc Donald's drive through. I had to park and wait for my food. When I throw it in reverse to fix my parking, the check engine light came back on and car went into limp mode. Car starts in 2 gear, shifts to 3 and stops.

Would this be transmission problems? Or sensor going on and off?
Old 10-28-23 | 07:24 PM
Klao
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I have a car with a similar problem the transmission is simply worn out. It's possible replacing the entire valve body will fix things or it could have further problems. How many miles? Often this transmission fails at 160-200K miles.

The car is at 199k miles. When I ordered new selonoids it came on/with a valve body. Didnt think to switch out the value bodies though....
Old 10-29-23 | 08:15 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Klao
.... snip Edit ..
Would this be transmission problems? Or sensor going on and off?
Let's see if other member(s) have a better insight. As stated before, I have very limited insight.

If no one answers, a visit to an expert may be the prudent next step.

Salim