RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

'99 RX good buy or bust?/need help with bad cylinder misfire

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-23, 08:00 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,020 Likes on 812 Posts

If you can prove bank 1 fuel trims are good, you can leave bank 1 alone(less than 10% is ok)

Problems don't normally switch banks.Lol

I'm guessing something happened on Bank 2 and I have faith you will figure this out.

Retracing steps and checking work may be necessary.

Your bank 2 fuel trims WERE in spec just a few posts above(less than 10%) looking at the video you posted, but now they are a disaster at +60%. Lol

How I Can tell a misfire, testimony of not running right and +60% fuel trims. Lol

Ps- I didn't suggest head gasket test, maybe another member did?

Last edited by Margate330; 11-22-23 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-22-23, 03:08 PM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

Keep in mind you are getting well meaning advice from all and at times conflicting opinions too.
Ex>The purpose of O rings in the tube. I stand by my view and PwrDude has his view. [conflict]
Ex> Oil in plug tube [not on the plug tip] will eventually give you misfire [all of us agree]

Why you are getting bad trim numbers [no one has the answer]

You can verify the connectors are good and the sensors are new and OEM. Further verify the wires are not chewed/ripped.

Beyond that, you might like to visit a mechanic to get a professional fix.

Salim
Old 11-22-23, 11:13 PM
brandonfpv
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default CEL turned off

Well guys I’ve been driving this thing like I have no license because I hadn’t deemed it “up to par”. But today, I went to go get a wooden steering wheel from someone for $100(don’t know if that’s a rip off or what) and while on the highway I plug in my obd scanner just to see what was going on with fuel trims or if other codes popped up. I get this code:

. I was super confused because 1. Where was the p0171 and 2 what is this and is this even real
so as I had it plugged in im driving and I notice the CEL goes away and no I did not erase the codes I actually read the p0446 with no check engine . For a minute it was there before the engine erased it and then I tried again and “no codes to read”. So I guess driving her long distance is the trick? Lol. Idk. But I’m not entirely content, as it still rumbles a bit and drones at certain rpm’s, both of which happened at the same time, (maybe just normal from not being used) but also I hear a clicking sound with each turn of the engine, I think it has something to do with spark plug because when I changed it it got better and then worse again. Not sure but I feel like I’m being negligent if I don’t tackle it. It’s so minor I can only hear it reflecting from walls that the car is close to. I’m already feeling pretty accomplished, so don’t take my further questions for me being ungrateful. Haha, appreciate all of the continued help greatly, from everyone!

enjoy your thanksgiving.

Last edited by brandonfpv; 11-23-23 at 06:34 AM.
Old 11-23-23, 07:45 AM
salimshah

I will make no comment on spending money on accessorizing before having a proper working machine.

The ecu monitors and stores everything. The error condition has to occur persistently for the CEL to light up. While the accumulation is working, you get pending codes. Errors are added and removed and if they are not removed, they become set.

Salim
Old 11-24-23, 08:23 AM
brandonfpv
Driver

hey I will accessorize this thing broken or fixed, it is a hobby for me. but I know what you're saying

I think the machine is almost "fixed" though. I do hear lifter tick, anyone else have to deal with that? I suppose I will change engine oil again, but that only might temporarily resolve the issue. I dont know.

Old 11-24-23, 09:28 AM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 265 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by brandonfpv
hey I will accessorize this thing broken or fixed, it is a hobby for me. but I know what you're saying

I think the machine is almost "fixed" though. I do hear lifter tick, anyone else have to deal with that? I suppose I will change engine oil again, but that only might temporarily resolve the issue. I dont know.
There are no lifters but there are some shims: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...l#post11324433
The following 2 users liked this post by maxSteel:
brandonfpv (11-24-23), Margate330 (11-24-23)
Old 11-24-23, 11:11 AM
brandonfpv
Driver

my bad was in a rush before. i say it is almost fixed but there is still p0171 and p0446. when I check monitors it says evap INC and oxygen sensor INC. should I just say screw it and replace bank 2 sensor 1?it behaves fine but I could get slightly better gas mileage and there's a rumble from the fuel trims being excited at idle. again, I have done the iacv cleaning, etc. should I start to look Into ocv? its only super minimal stuff but still will lead to other issues nonetheless.
Old 11-24-23, 11:41 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

I had a upper engine tick develop on my car too and I fixed it with a Seafoam Engine Oil Treatment.

With the engine warm I dumped a whole bottle down the gullet and drove approx 50 miles and changed the oil, Mobil 1 Synthetic.

Did it twice, first treatment made a big difference and can barely hear it anymore.

Second treatment killed the tick and it hasn't come back, been a year or two.

I also highly recommend the Seafoam Intake Treatment applied directly into the intake as shown step by step in youtube videos.

Call it snake oil if ya like but I swear by it now. Lol 😂

PS- I don't have the info on those codes handy so I will look them up later unless someone wants to drop the info.

Last edited by Margate330; 11-24-23 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-24-23, 05:01 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 265 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by brandonfpv
my bad was in a rush before. i say it is almost fixed but there is still p0171 and p0446. when I check monitors it says evap INC and oxygen sensor INC. should I just say screw it and replace bank 2 sensor 1?it behaves fine but I could get slightly better gas mileage and there's a rumble from the fuel trims being excited at idle. again, I have done the iacv cleaning, etc. should I start to look Into ocv? its only super minimal stuff but still will lead to other issues nonetheless.
Maybe the P0446 indicates a vacuum leak that leads to a P0171?
The following 2 users liked this post by maxSteel:
brandonfpv (11-25-23), Margate330 (11-25-23)
Old 11-24-23, 10:59 PM
salimshah

Please check the manual of your obdII reader. There is yet another, quirk with ObdII, that it may return "not ready" or its equivalent, till enough cycles are performed in operation of the vehicle. I am leaning on the side that "inc" stands for incomplete information which would be the same as "not ready".

Salim
Old 11-25-23, 05:52 AM
brandonfpv
Driver

Originally Posted by maxSteel
this is what I think is part of the issue, I’m hoping the other part has to do with oxygen sensor but I doubt I would get fairly good highway miles with a bad o2 sensor, right? You never know though. It’s really just bad idle and the clicking sound, which I will get seafoam today and change my oil. Will let you know if that fixes it margate, it sounds rather loud though but can’t hurt to clean the engine.

Salim you’re probably right but it was able to pass inspection and then after, the CEL turned on it turned off with some driving so it led me to think that she’s running as expected , but not when I look at fuel trims idling.
Old 11-25-23, 07:03 AM
salimshah

Follow the instructions on the additive can.

You should do the treatment and let it do its work and then replace the oil to purge out the dislodged material as well as detergent. Do not use fresh oil and add the seafoam.

Salim
Old 11-25-23, 07:20 AM
Pwrdude
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Are you sure that the ticking sound is not an exhaust leak at one of the manifolds?
Old 11-25-23, 11:23 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by maxSteel
Hi Max, I think you may be correct!

Either way,
P0171 leads to P0446
or
P0446 leads to P0171

Plus, I think OP has more than one issue that is complicating things even more. lol
Old 11-25-23, 11:24 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

For OP:

The P0446 can be triggered by a bad gas cap and other emissions vacuum lines near the gas tank.
Most common fault for P0446 is gas cap when no other codes are present.

However, the P0171 is a lean condition on bank 1.
AND, your last fuel trims posted showed fuel trims at +10%(Not Running Lean)- this means your lean condition is intermittent! lol

Intermittent faults can be the most frustrating and difficult cases to diagnose, especially when maintenance has been delayed.

Oh wait, it gets better... Haha

Your last fuel trims were showing Bank 1 fuel trims are in spec(not running lean) BUT bank 2 fuel trims are high and now running lean.

I'm really thinking you have a vacuum leak somewhere between the MAF and engine that's moving around or who knows! haha.
Until you do more tests, that's where I'm at, hopefully others have ideas too.

If you feel like it:
Need new fuel trims at idle, car is warm.
Need new fuel trims at 45 mph, cruise control on and vehicle speed is steady.

PS: MAF at idle should be near 3.0g/cm3, if I remember correctly.

As you can see- the VSV valves under the hood at the intake control the vacuum at the emissions near the gas tank(P0446) and this runs off engine vacuum.

I think the P0171 Lean Condition code and P0446 can be related- as posted above by @maxSteel

Posted in fair use for commentary and discussion.

Harbor freight, dirt cheap vacuum gauge.
I have one and it will let you know fast if you have a vacuum leak!
Easy to use, just T it on to a main vacuum line at the engine.

Last edited by Margate330; 11-25-23 at 12:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
maxSteel (11-25-23)

Quick Reply: '99 RX good buy or bust?/need help with bad cylinder misfire